Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38662 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #210
I imagine what they are stating is true of marking a wet footy.

material would add friction to a leather ball making it much easier to catch than wet skin.

Not really, I found once the material was soaked it stayed wet much longer, and held more water. As soon as the rain stopped you would see players pushing their sleeves up because having muddy arms was the best solution. I think it was the grit from the mud that was more beneficial.

But overall the worst thing you could do was be coated in liniment on a drizzly day, you might as well coat the footy in silicone spray.

Another reason some blokes wore long sleeves sometimes was to deal with chaffing or material burns under your armpits, it wasn't a big issue but it can become a distraction. I've read that these days players use those high tech undergarments for the very same reasons. Back in my day it was tighter shorts or jumper, or Vaseline! Capper started wearing those tiny shorts for the very same reason! Of course, back in those days some blokes also wore stockings in the wet, a very common practice at Federal, VFA or VFL level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #211
Material has changed significantly but it was always a no-brainer back in the days that you wore long sleeves in the  wet.

Reply #212
Remember how heavy the old jumpers used to be when you took them off, it was like carrying around a bag of lead?

My son's kit absorbs no water at all, they come of the ground in the rain and underneath they are almost dry and the kit weighs nothing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #213
Some players used to wear two in the wet.  LS inner and SS outer.  I remember a filthy soaking wet muddy day at Princes Park and at the start of the second half, every player had fresh jumpers.  Long sleeves were a definite advantage in the wet.  When we went wool (1985 IIRC) they were even better

Reply #214
Someone on Facebook put up a side of players that didn't play on the weekend. While they were scratching a bit towards the end it was a certainly a good side, better than the one we put pout on the weekend.

Reply #215
That was the worst exhibition of coaching I've come across since the days of Pagan. I'm all for teaching and development but why go back to something they left us totally lost, confused and regularly thrashed.
It was easily the worst coaching performance since Bolton has come to the club.
[1] Our team was selected on the basis of nothing going wrong. That failed at the first centre bounce. Not having 2 rucks to play on one of the game's best was a mistake. Having to ruck Harry McKay was an embarrassment. There were others selection quandaries that worked about as well.
[2] We stuck with the same plan and the same players on the same opponents. We really needed to change things and we didn't.
[3] Our strategies were flawed to start with, as we did not make enough attempts at stopping their better players.

What do the guys in the box do? Other than sit? Nothing changed.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #216
We selected a team to beat Essendon.
Not sure we did that on the weekend. ;)

Sure injury and suspension knocked us around but I think there are times (and games) this year when we'll pick to win if we think we have a chance.
If we don't think we're in with a chance then the emphasis will be on picking for development.

Reply #217
I'm sitting next to a campfire right now.... Please tell me that Vince was cited?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #218
I'm sitting next to a campfire right now.... Please tell me that Vince was cited?
He got off.  :-[ Not one of the AFL's best moments. Especially after last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #219
FMD...  It really matters what jumper you wear doesn't it?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #220
FMD...  It really matters what jumper you wear doesn't it?
As long as it is not ours.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #221
We selected a team to beat Essendon.
Not sure we did that on the weekend. ;)

Sure injury and suspension knocked us around but I think there are times (and games) this year when we'll pick to win if we think we have a chance.
If we don't think we're in with a chance then the emphasis will be on picking for development.

At quarter time I though we were in with a sniff.  Unfortunately it unravelled after that with our customary fade out.  It's becoming a trend where we stop being competitive in periods and can't quite work out what went wrong.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #222
Gerard Whateley on 360 made some interesting points on Carlton. He said that in the 3rd year of the rebuild, he can't see a style, structure or tactics that has developed..."just can't see it" he said. Hard to argue with that....

Reply #223
Remember how heavy the old jumpers used to be when you took them off, it was like carrying around a bag of lead?

My son's kit absorbs no water at all, they come of the ground in the rain and underneath they are almost dry and the kit weighs nothing!
It's interesting, I'm not sure about the materials or tech in the jumpers today, but back in my day long sleeve jumpers made you neither warmer nor better at marking. The only thing they guaranteed was that in the rain you'd be carrying around any extra kilo or two once they were soaked and covered in mud!

Make up your mind, do you support or oppose the wearing of long sleeve jumpers in the wet?
Are the jumpers heavier or lighter... ?
The original opinion offered was that the players wearing long sleeves were inadequate...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #224
Interesting interview with Max Gawn...

""Kreuzer's played one of the best games against me. That scares me. I've always wanted to get one back on him. I rate Kreuzer as the number 1 guy to play."

Max Gawn with some high praise for a Blue #RSNBreakfastClub"