Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums) (Read 55127 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

Reply #76
Replacing who DJC?

I think he means Carrazzo, who I thought got better as the game wore on lastSaturday.

I suspect Lucas might get a rest this week, he looked sore the last couple of weeks and struggled to get into the game after that bump he took. He had less impact than Cachia!

If he does replace Lucas then Bell better lift his ball use efficiency as Lucas is a mile ahead and that is nothing to be proud of!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
Replacing who DJC?

I think he means Carrazzo, who I thought got better as the game wore on lastSaturday.

Absolutely he did... His first half was terrible, but his second half he really worked himself back into the game.

He wont be going anywhere.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #78
People are forgetting McInnes, he would be stiff not to come straight back in after a week off.

And of the 2s, Duigan has probably played his three best games in a row for some time, two of them as a half forward!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
Replacing who DJC?

Absolutely he did... His first half was terrible, but his second half he really worked himself back into the game.

I actually watched it again, he made one blunder and was beaten one on one in a once off contest with a player he should have beaten. Being Andrew Carrazzo he will always have his past detractors just waiting for an error or two to write him off or have him dropped. Some of his work in defence in the second half was awesome. That tap to the advantage in the last term was pure brilliance.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #80
Replacing who DJC?

I actually watched it again, he made one blunder and was beaten one on one in a once off contest with a player he should have beaten. Being Andrew Carrazzo he will always have his past detractors just waiting for an error or two to write him off or have him dropped. Some of his work in defence in the second half was awesome. That tap to the advantage in the last term was pure brilliance.

So was the half smothered kick to McLean  ;)

Reply #81
Carrots is certainly not anywhere near his best at the moment , but neither was Simmo early in the season , and he has come back with a vengeance ..
So will Carrots . I wouldn't be dropping him just yet .

McInnis should come in though if he's right to go .
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #82

Not sure that I agree with that Mav; Malthouse seems to be using Gibbs more in a defensive, shut down role. 
[/quote]

I know I saw someone suggest Gibbs on Mayne this week and sort of shook my head (not at the poster) at the fact that our number one draft pick full of skill and class but with little or no heart has been developed into a run with player.
[/quote]

Pre-season (as with many past pre-seasons) Gibbs was "going to get a good run in the mid-field".   Then, all year, he lines up at half back.  This, then allows EVERY coach to push his man to the goal square, and we have our classiest player sitting in a back pocket.  It happens every week and Malthouse does nothing about it.  I know it is because Malthouse thinks he needs Gibbs' cool head and class in the back half, but we really are  robbing ourselves of an offensive weapon.  Even when he is occasionally allowed to play on a wing or a forward flank, he looks very dangerous, but then the opp coach will recognise this and send his man back to the goal square.

Reply #83
Gibbs is obviously being used to shore up our defence especially now that Lachie has moved forward. Gibbs looks more than happy to play that role too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
Replacing who DJC?

Good question PI2C  :-\

I thought Carrazzo improved as the game went on and he's not going to get his touch back in the magoos so I wouldn't drop him.  Cachia did OK when he came on so he probably deserves another run.  Bootsma was stiff to be ill but Cachia has his spot.  That leaves Lucas who barely contributed before and after he took a hit.

Lucas has been good but his form has dropped off and may need to be 'managed', particularly if the hit shook him up as much as it seemed to.

To be honest, if I was on the MC, I'd be looking for an injury to make space for Bell.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
Gibbs is obviously being used to shore up our defence especially now that Lachie has moved forward. Gibbs looks more than happy to play that role too.

Hasn't Gibbsy previously said he'd rather play midfield though, but he's happy to help out the team wherever he's needed?

TBH one of Gibbs' most impressive displays I can remember was in the 2011 Elimination Final where he got forward of the centre and took the Bummer apart. I know he's not the most accountable player but surely hje'd do more damage than his direct opponent? Could be time to role the dice. His creativity is wasted chipping sideways in defence.

@DJC

My point exactly, if Lucas isn't injured there's no room.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #86

Hasn't Gibbsy previously said he'd rather play midfield though, but he's happy to help out the team wherever he's needed?

TBH one of Gibbs' most impressive displays I can remember was in the 2011 Elimination Final where he got forward of the centre and took the Bummer apart. I know he's not the most accountable player but surely hje'd do more damage than his direct opponent? Could be time to role the dice. His creativity is wasted chipping sideways in defence.

@DJC

My point exactly, if Lucas isn't injured there's no room.

PI2C I think many of us have agreed with your sentiments on Gibbs on previous occasions but for the time being it looks like MM has settled on him for a defensive role. That may change over time I suppose, particularly if we turn up some defenders in the drafts. I think he'll stay primarily in defence for what's left of this year though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #87
Gibbs is a midfielder who made his name as a U18 player in that position, I dont want him as half back flanker but I think his best work is done playing on one of the opposition best mids ie Goddard...Gibbs can both defend and attack and has great value going forward both creating and kicking goals.....and he doesnt rest forward enough.

Playing him half back is a waste, and just a bandaid for other half backs who cant use the ball properly out of defense....we have never seen the best of Gibbs because we have never played him consistently where he does his best work.

Reply #88
People are forgetting McInnes, he would be stiff not to come straight back in after a week off.

And of the 2s, Duigan has probably played his three best games in a row for some time, two of them as a half forward!

Adrian Hickmott II (or dare I say it - Aaron Hamill)?

Neither of whom were quick both both blooody hard at it.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #89

Adrian Hickmott II (or dare I say it - Aaron Hamill)?

Neither of whom were quick both both blooody hard at it.....

That would be awesome if it turned out - however, Hicky was one of the the best contested marks for size I've ever seen.....and compared to Duigs, was an elite kick for goal.  Very, very classy player to go along with the guts.

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.