Skip to main content
Topic: Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood  (Read 50559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood

Reply #60
What time do GA tickets go on sale on Ticketmaster guys?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
And here is the main issue. No offense mate. This is totally the wrong way around. It's like trying to get into the Australian Cricket Squad and you're not from NSW...

You cannot set standards if the seniors are not going to be measured and replaced on the back of their OWN performances.

What would you rather have:

1. You keep players in the seconds and they  ONLY get a chance due to injuries, horrendous ongoing performances by a non leader player, where finals are a no chance, or its their first-ever senior game.

2. You make the SENIORS accountable by setting benchmarking standards with the coach and leadership group. If they are not met, you're dropped. Dead simple. As a result he spends time in the seconds..probably hell bent to get back in, and a seconds player is brought in hell bent to play a blinder and staying in the seniors. Standard set. Rinse and repeat.

Keeping option 1 going is one of the reasons we have no depth and our kids have no real experience. We bring em in expecting miracles and when the season is over and we never learn. In the meantime big teams blood youngsters as part of a strategy.

What I want him to do is demonstrate that he is too good for VFL football. He is rarely in the best players for Northern.
Eat more chooks

Reply #62
What I want him to do is demonstrate that he is too good for VFL football. He is rarely in the best players for Northern.

While I agree with you in part, there is a bigger picture of how often is the ball getting to him ? Is he leading to the preferred areas ? Is he playing the %'s and doing the team things ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #63
We need more run and flexibility. Collingwood run and run and run. They put pressure on the ball carrier then spread quickly when the opposition turn it over.

I hope we drop a tall for another runner - I'd like to see Judd, Whiley, Graham and maybe Jaksch in.
Outs - Dick, Carazzo (slow and possibly injured - could get cut up when doesn't have the ball), Ellard (doesn't run through the mid-field) and maybe Jones/Casboult.
The end result is 3 x genuine midfielders in for a forward pocket, hbf and slow mid-fielder; Also swap a mobile big for an erratic forward.

Jaksch can start forward and go back when Rowe pinch hits in the ruck.
I'd like to see the more mobile Walker forward with Hendo and either Caz or Jones.
The taller onballers like Everitt, Judd and Cripps resting forward is also a nice option.

I'm hoping that we don't play too many taggers:
Everitt is a great match up for Pendlebury which leaves Curnow for Seedsman

Reply #64
We need more run and flexibility. Collingwood run and run and run. They put pressure on the ball carrier then spread quickly when the opposition turn it over.

I hope we drop a tall for another runner - I'd like to see Judd, Whiley, Graham and maybe Jaksch in.
Outs - Dick, Carazzo (slow and possibly injured - could get cut up when doesn't have the ball), Ellard (doesn't run through the mid-field) and maybe Jones/Casboult.
The end result is 3 x genuine midfielders in for a forward pocket, hbf and slow mid-fielder; Also swap a mobile big for an erratic forward.

Jaksch can start forward and go back when Rowe pinch hits in the ruck.
I'd like to see the more mobile Walker forward with Hendo and either Caz or Jones.
The taller onballers like Everitt, Judd and Cripps resting forward is also a nice option.

I'm hoping that we don't play too many taggers:
Everitt is a great match up for Pendlebury which leaves Curnow for Seedsman
Agree with the extra run, also dont want to tag anymore more so Curnow and possibly Carrots gonski for mine. Just run and gun FFS.

Reply #65
My two cents on Watson.

Rowe is playing in an excremental fashion right now - we all know that.  However, he is the only large bodied defender we have on the list right, so we really do have to persist with him.  Watson has been tried as a KP defender previously and it simply didn't work.

If Watson is going to get a gig it needs to be as a high half forward leading up to the ball and giving the mids something to kick to.  For Watson to play we have to drop Jones... we simply can't play both.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #66
I'm not sure you can let Swann have a day out and expect to win.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #67
I'm not sure you can let Swann have a day out and expect to win.

I'm not big on tagging and only like one or two negative players  on my team but Pendlebury and Swan are the two
I would tag...

Reply #68
I'm not big on tagging and only like one or two negative players  on my team but Pendlebury and Swan are the two
I would tag...

Agreed, tagging is a double edged sword, for example some "scribes" are saying that Freo's attacking upside is primarily due to Crowley's absence!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
apparently Collingwood turn it over more than us.

If we are willing to push back and defend hard and play with some freedom up the guts, we are a big show.

Sadly we will get cut up on rebound after multiple repeat inside 50's.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #70
Agreed, tagging is a double edged sword, for example some "scribes" are saying that Freo's attacking upside is primarily due to Crowley's absence!

Problem with Crowley is he doesnt get the ball or do much with it when he does get it.....the best taggers are the ones who tag and get the footy.
Cam Ling was great for this reason....Jordan Lewis can mind a man and still get 30 good touches.....I reckon Freo are better off without Crowley
and more dangerous...

Reply #71
apparently Collingwood turn it over more than us.

If we are willing to push back and defend hard and play with some freedom up the guts, we are a big show.

Sadly we will get cut up on rebound after multiple repeat inside 50's.

We are still 12th for DE I believe and 12th for uncontested possessions.

If we fix our DE a bit we will also fix our uncontested possessions.

Could be an ugly game. :D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #72

I think Lyon himself alluded to this.

Reply #73
My tip would be:

IN: Judd, Menzel, Jaksch, Watson

OUT: Armfield, Ellard, Dick, Casboult

I agree with a few others, I think Watson deserves a run in the Seniors. I think Jones is offering slightly more than Casboult right now, but only just. Last senior game Watson kicked 4 against the Bombers. This is his last year of his contract, let's see what he's got as a forward in the 1's before it's too late. Give him 4-5 games minimum in a row to show his worth. He can't possibly stink it up as much as Casboult has been.

Reply #74
My tip would be:

IN: Judd, Menzel, Jaksch, Watson

OUT: Armfield, Ellard, Dick, Casboult

I agree with a few others, I think Watson deserves a run in the Seniors. I think Jones is offering slightly more than Casboult right now, but only just. Last senior game Watson kicked 4 against the Bombers. This is his last year of his contract, let's see what he's got as a forward in the 1's before it's too late. Give him 4-5 games minimum in a row to show his worth. He can't possibly stink it up as much as Casboult has been.

This! Just amazing he hasn't been given a decent run at it when he's clearly shown he's up to senior footy.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!