Skip to main content
Topic: Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood  (Read 50552 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood

Reply #90
I don't think there is a game I have wanted to win more for a raft of reasons.

Reply #91
I think Menzel should plays NBs - make him realise he's not a walk up start and his form this year has been poor - he reeks of picking up Gibbs' attitude (and pony tail).

Think we need Curnow. He shut Stevens right down.

Jamo - sure doing nothing down back so let hm have some rest

Dick an obvious out - so him, Jamo and if a third out is needed i guess Ellard goes before Armfield whose speed appears to be back.

Menzel was one of our better players in Rd 1, 17 disposals and 2.1 on the score board. Didn't do anything against West Coast, but who did? Then he's been out injured the last 2. He's still got more class than Ellard and Armfield combined.

A lot of people here criticising the suggestion to drop Armfield. Sure he played ok against the Saints, but the problem with our team at the moment is that we have too many good honest C-B graders and not enough class. I'd play Menzel ahead of  Army because Menzel is the future. He is still young, he will have some shocking games and some brilliant ones. But the more game time he gets, the more likely we'll get the brilliant games. We're never going to evolve if she keep playing the same players with gross limitations. Ellard is not up to it, Armfield is not up to it in the long term. Time to move forward.

As for the 'Casboult is our only ruck relief' argument that people are throwing about; bringing Jaksch back in means we can afford for Rowe to relieve in the ruck. It wouldn't be for large chunks of the game anyway. But to be honest, I wouldn't be fazed to see Jones dropped instead, but stand by the opinion that Watto deserves his chance.

Reply #92
Menzel was one of our better players in Rd 1, 17 disposals and 2.1 on the score board. Didn't do anything against West Coast, but who did? Then he's been out injured the last 2. He's still got more class than Ellard and Armfield combined.

A lot of people here criticising the suggestion to drop Armfield. Sure he played ok against the Saints, but the problem with our team at the moment is that we have too many good honest C-B graders and not enough class. I'd play Menzel ahead of  Army because Menzel is the future. He is still young, he will have some shocking games and some brilliant ones. But the more game time he gets, the more likely we'll get the brilliant games. We're never going to evolve if she keep playing the same players with gross limitations. Ellard is not up to it, Armfield is not up to it in the long term. Time to move forward.

As for the 'Casboult is our only ruck relief' argument that people are throwing about; bringing Jaksch back in means we can afford for Rowe to relieve in the ruck. It wouldn't be for large chunks of the game anyway. But to be honest, I wouldn't be fazed to see Jones dropped instead, but stand by the opinion that Watto deserves his chance.

Sorry Maven, Rowe should never ruck again. Awful.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #93
Sorry Maven, Rowe should never ruck again. Awful.

Yeah he's not ideal, but keeping in Casboult just to play in the ruck for 10-20% of the game isn't ideal either. As a few have mentioned, it'll be great when Kreuzer is back, but until then we just have to pick the least damaging option.

Reply #94
did? Then he's been out injured the last

This! We have about 100 games to ALL our under 23 year old players - many of those just a quarter as a sub. If only we were actually rebuilding the past few years and we had a bunch of kids with 50-80 games to their name.

Reply #95
This game does give the players an opportunity to make a statement about the coach. A committed performance will make a strong statement about player sentiment and will go a long way towards a new contract. A limp performance would be a disaster for the coach.

Collingwood players will probably do a guard of honour, maybe the Blues will join in.

Reply #96
Is there any chance at all that Rowe will be dropped/

He was disgraceful last week, continuing his total lack of effort that permeates the way he approaches each game. He panics when under pressure, he cannot think his way out of a situation, he stands flat footed watching while others do the work, and he is a champion at giving the opposition forwards free kicks because he lacks the ability to combat his opponents skills fairly.

Rowe is the single greatest liability in this team, and should never have been made part of the leadership group.

Reply #97
Is there any chance at all that Rowe will be dropped/

He was disgraceful last week, continuing his total lack of effort that permeates the way he approaches each game. He panics when under pressure, he cannot think his way out of a situation, he stands flat footed watching while others do the work, and he is a champion at giving the opposition forwards free kicks because he lacks the ability to combat his opponents skills fairly.

Rowe is the single greatest liability in this team, and should never have been made part of the leadership group.

While I agree with the bit about him being dropped I think you've gone in a bit hard on the guy. By all accounts he's a natural leader and 100% committed to the cause but his current form is just so SHIZEN it's difficult to see how he's survived the chop for this long. Lack of options I guess is the main reason. Watson is not the answer, he is a dead set spud I don't care what anyone says. Play the new kid Jaksch and just roll the dice.

Reply #98
Swan in doubt with a sprained ankle according to FB Supercoach.

Reply #99
must keep army for his pace and for menzel tell him not about goals (pressure acts for example) must stop coll attacking from defence

Reply #100

Armfield isn't the answer to all of our woes, but dropping him this week is saying that we don't respect effort, and effort is what is holding us back. He was great last work and worked his bum off. Plus his pace is/was a bonus on several occasions.

Reply #101
Army is another one who is OK until a better option comes along - as a week to week proposition, he'll be in and out of the team for his remaining time with us. I think he'll stay in this week, deservedly so.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #102
In the form he is in, Id be leaving him in the team until such point that he significantly misfires.

28, might net us a decent trade or even might end up on the market via free agency.  Either will get us decent compensation.

HAVE to shop him around, particularly whilst he challenges the younger more able bodies to beat him to a game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #103
In the form he is in, Id be leaving him in the team until such point that he significantly misfires.

28, might net us a decent trade or even might end up on the market via free agency.  Either will get us decent compensation.

HAVE to shop him around, particularly whilst he challenges the younger more able bodies to beat him to a game.

Our list is looking too slow, most of our recent drafts are pretty slow, we can't keep getting rid of pace and bringing in slow!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
While I agree with the bit about him being dropped I think you've gone in a bit hard on the guy. By all accounts he's a natural leader and 100% committed to the cause but his current form is just so SHIZEN it's difficult to see how he's survived the chop for this long. Lack of options I guess is the main reason. Watson is not the answer, he is a dead set spud I don't care what anyone says. Play the new kid Jaksch and just roll the dice.

Agree about Watson, except for one thing. Spuds are useful. You get beautiful chips from them. At least when my missus makes them!!

As far as Rowe being a natural leader, maybe in the locker room, he is.

Out on the track, sorry to say it, but he's a waste of space.