Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 48933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #105
Csboult has had this kicking problem for the majority of his career, I do not know of any bone-fide key forward who would go for the checkside from 30m out in such a tight match and cock it up so badly as well.

This shows to me that he just has no confidence in his kicking abilities plus he cannot follow the simple instructions given to him by Sav Rocca last year.

Overall, we have a huge beast with incredible marking skills who cannot kick to save himself or the team when the game is on the line.

He's now 26yo and the question has to be asked, how much longer do you persist with him ?? We were approached regarding a trade a year or two back and we should of taken it with open arms. With games like tonight, his overall trade value will have dropped significantly.

Gee, Jones & Casboult in the key forward posts, makes me want to come up with an invention that adds 5-6 years experience to Harry McKay now.

Oh well, we have some serious deficiencies on the list that will be addressed over time, just have to "stick fat" with the players we have in 2016 and then review it all at the end of the season.

The simple response is, you persist with him until we have better.

As for his kicking,  he did do a pcl.   Most players have "loose" kicking after significant injury recovery.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
Twas a good match.  A few WTf moments but plenty to like.

Massive tick for us not going to water with the rough stuff.  

That's the first coach who has ironed it out.

We can't afford to miss so many scoring opportunities that are better than fifty fifty.  It's what killed us the most.  I counted at least three goalscoring opportunities we coughed up by dropping marks, missing targets. Or choosing the wrong option to pass to.  Until our forwards score more frequently we must get those right.

We are still probably only a 13 goal team, but things will get better.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #107
I was just happy to see close to a  4 quarter effort.

Reply #108
I'm really proud of the boys. I was asked by a Cat supporter mate how we'd go tonight. I said that I rate the tiges as a top 8 side and if we can compete within 5 goals of a top 8 side this year I would be happy. We should have won, so I am ecstatic. There was no selfish displays, but  a lot of skill errors. Accountability though was through the roof. Some of the passages of play blew me away.

Cripps is in the Kouta/Judd/Fev/Diesel/SOS/Kernahan/Jezza/Doull/Nicholls etc.....mould.

Legend.

Weitering?...What a debut and what a gun. Can't recall a better player on debut.

IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #109
I went along hoping to see effort.  Didn't think a win was possible, but we played well enough to get the chocolates. 

For the first time in a long while, I felt like I was watching a Carlton TEAM  :) :) :) :)

By the way, watch Bolton's presser - so much better than the grumble-faced rubbish we saw for the past 3 years.

Can we give votes to the Coach?

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #110
I had high hopes for this game, and they were nearly proven to be founded, but alas.....

The lack of effort and pressure in the last 10 minutes of the last qtr was the only real time I was frustrated with the team as a whole.

The 2 50m penalties, 4 set shots that missed in the 1st half, Kerridges shocker, and possably others, we only needed 2 of these incidents to have gone our way and we would be celebrating a win. So all in all we got pretty close, we also won a lot of the key KPI's.

Murph played very well for his 1st game for the season
Cripps, so good to watch, so glad he wears Navy Blue !!!
Graham, not the quickest, but a pure footballer who does most things well, most of the time, and has no trouble finding the football.
Boekhorst, ran all night, and looking forward to seeing develop into a top class player.
Weitering, it's only his 3rd game and I'm already running out of words! He is all class, plays his role very well, and will be very important going forward.
Wright, a role player, who did well to hit the score board tonight.
Simpson, Mr reliable, did what he always does.

Buckley, was quiet.
Touhy was caught with the ball at least 3 times.
Casboult has to learn to kick straight, every week.

Plenty to learn from, but also plenty of positives and small shoots showing, so bring on next week and see what we can show against another top 8 side in Sydney.

Go Blues!!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #111
I know we have SOS now, but I'm really annoyed that we let Kane Lambert get to another club, he was consistently in the best for the Northern Blues for a couple of seasons and we over looked him, Richmond pick him up an he is showing very good signs of becoming a good AFL player. We let a player in our own back yard slip through....

Not happy.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #112
Wow, some of the pro-Casboult and anti-White comments on this thread are hard to believe. Head shaking stuff.

Casboult has no place being on any AFL list, let alone ours, with the kicking 'skills' he possesses. I'm gonna lose my shyte if I have to put up with that all season. His kicking appears to have regressed at a fair rate since last year and quite frankly, it's unacceptable.

I saw Simon White make 2 consecutive errors in the 2nd quarter....and they weren't good, but apart from that, what the hell did he do so horribly wrong that has most of you calling for his head? Give me a break.

I'm not at all guttered by the result, but massively encouraged - haven't felt this optimistic in the list for quite some time, not to mention the game style, which has been completely overhauled and modernised.

We're still a fair way off being an elite list, so the skill errors are gonna haunt us for a while yet - but geez, when it all clicked tonight, how good did we look!?

I loved the Kreuzer/Phillips ruck combo and happy to admit that the person who I claimed was the biggest spud in the AFL.....Sam Rowe, was more than serviceable tonight. Absolutely hated Buckley's game though.....not sure what his role was supposed to be, but it failed miserably and for mine, Bolton took too long to act on it.

Thankfully overall, so much more to love than not about our performance tonight. Richmond once again stamped themselves as a middle-of-the-road team and nothing more. Kerridge kicks that goal at the start of the last, Tigers drop their heads, game over....*sigh*.....if only.

Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #113
What did people think of Phillip's game? I thought he rucked well was good around the ground and is surprisingly agile and applies good pressure even against smaller more nimble players. If he plays like that every week he will be a very handy pickup.  He probably surprised me the most. A green shoot where i least expected to see one.
On the game. I actually enjoyed watching a proper team effort. Yes we lack some polish but atleast we played like an AFL team. When we clicked it was scintillating stuff through the middle.

Reply #114
Casboult's work around the ground is handy, but he needs to be played to his strengths, and also where his weaknesses aren't detrimental to the team. In general, this would be :

1. contested marking target after a behind is scored
2. wing
3. occasional ruck work
4. in the goal square

If he is going to be played as CHF or anywhere in the F50, he must have some decent sharp shooters streaming past every time he marks, as someone else here suggested.

And just for old times' sake, "make no mistake - The Tigers are a very good football side."

Reply #115
What did people think of Phillip's game? I thought he rucked well was good around the ground and is surprisingly agile and applies good pressure even against smaller more nimble players. If he plays like that every week he will be a very handy pickup.  He probably surprised me the most. A green shoot where i least expected to see one.
On the game. I actually enjoyed watching a proper team effort. Yes we lack some polish but atleast we played like an AFL team. When we clicked it was scintillating stuff through the middle.

Agree.

Reply #116
The simple response is, you persist with him until we have better.

As for his kicking, he did do a pcl. 

Maybe he should do a "Place" as in "place kick", because that may be the only way he can prevent that horrible ball drop. ;D

I thought Curnow was very good last night and probably didn't get the credit some others are getting because of the role he plays.

There were lots of positive signs but it's really important that we follow up with another strong performance.
The early win is also important, so there is some reward for the effort, otherwise the "effort" may be hard to maintain.

Reply #117
Maybe he should do a "Place" as in "place kick", because that may be the only way he can prevent that horrible ball drop. ;D

I thought Curnow was very good last night and probably didn't get the credit some others are getting because of the role he plays.

There were lots of positive signs but it's really important that we follow up with another strong performance.
The early win is also important, so there is some reward for the effort, otherwise the "effort" may be hard to maintain.

Agree with your last paragraph. Next week against the Swans at Etihad. I hope the boys take it up to them for 4 quarters. A win is unlikely IMO.

Reply #118
The talk here around Casboult reminds me of the talk on this board around Hampson three or four years back, Hammer was going to be our very own Nic Nat after he had his inevitable break out season.
It never came and for the record he was at his usual woeful standard last night, 8 touches, ineffectual in the ruck and missed a sitter from 20 metres dead in front.
It happens when you're at or near the bottom, the slightest glimmer of ability from any player gives rise to hopeless and irrational optimism, but that's football supporters and always has been.
We won't be going anywhere until we get a key forward, preferably two.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #119

Ed sticks to his task well but his skills are shabby.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.