Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 38651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #135
My concern is Rowe, white and Weitering will all lack the pace needed and buddy major strength is his pace on the lead- Marchbank while young seems a good match IMO. Buddy doesn't use his strength as much as his pace-Marchbank reads the play extremely well and is also quick.  Prefer to give the kid a chance first off it doesn't work then put one of our older guys on him.

Buddy is always dangerous but he's unstoppable if he starts well.... prefer Marchbank to get a opportunity when his cold rather then throwing the kid to the wolves once Buddy is red hot.

Plus if Marchbank does a good job on Buddy will be a massive confidence boast for the kid regardless of the final score.

Got no doubt the Swans will do their usual have everyone up the ground and Buddy on his own in the forward 50 isolated on our one defender...need help defense to contain Buddy
and close up the gaps where he leads...if its one on one he will kick a bag...
Buddy will ragdoll Marchbank IMO...I'd start Rowe on him but learn from the Tom Lynch fiasco....block the leads and like I said  our blokes have to get back and help Rowe...

Reply #136
Got no doubt the Swans will do their usual have everyone up the ground and Buddy on his own in the forward 50 isolated on our one defender...need help defense to contain Buddy
Buddy will ragdoll Marchbank IMO...I'd start Rowe on him but learn from the Tom Lynch fiasco....block the leads and like I said  our blokes have to get back and help Rowe...

Agree EB. There's a lot for us to deal with against that team. Too much I think.

Reply #137
EB, they need put work into players up the ground to stop the ball getting to Buddy (and co.). If their mids get going and start free wheeling? It will get real ugly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #138
Really like these changes. Graham, Billie and COS have deserved their call ups and all offer experience.

I think we'll give a far better account of ourselves this Saturday and it seems the club is also now serious as evidenced by bringing in 4 experienced blokes and leaving out 3 kids and an underdone Phillips. Good balance.

Polson has had a taste, now to further build his craft in the NBs and Pickett has to learn not to lairise.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #139

Agree with needing to block the space but the ragdoll bit I'm not so sure of. Buddy IMO only tries to use his strength in a one on one if he cant find space. When he is on his main game is to run hard and take the ball while moving. In that situation Marchbank is our best option. I would back our kid in and hope Bolts does too.

Lets face it if they control the midfield and get too much ball with time Buddy is going to get on the end of many regardless who stands him.

The learning experience even if he gets a few kicked on him is valuable.     

Reply #140
Carlton

B: Alex Silvagni, Caleb Marchbank, Simon White.
HB: Kade Simpson, Sam Rowe, Lachie Plowman.
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Sam Docherty.
HF: Billie Smedts, Charlie Curnow, Ed Curnow.
F: Nick Graham, Levi Casboult, Jacob Weitering.
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy.
Int: Matthew Wright, Zac Fisher, Tom Williamson, Jack Silvagni.

Emg: David Cuningham, Dennis Armfield, Liam Jones.

In: Alex Silvagni, Billie Smedts, Nick Graham, Matthew Kreuzer.

Out: Harrison Macreadie (Managed), Andrew Phillips (Omitted), Jarrod Pickett (Omitted), Cameron Polson (Omitted).

New: Alex Silvagni

These guys probably deserve a go, even if it does slow us down a bit. Jones and Cuningham must also be close after their games last week.

Sydney Swans

B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Zak Jones.
HB: Callum Mills, Lewis Melican, Jeremy Laidler.
C: Isaac Heeney, Josh P. Kennedy, Jake Lloyd.
HF: George Hewett, Lance Franklin, Gary Rohan.
F: Will Hayward, Sam Reid, Tom Papley.
R: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery.
Int: Harry Cunningham, Brandon Jack, Nic Newman, Callum Sinclair.

Emg: Jordan Foote, James Rose, Michael Talia.

In: Jeremy Laidler, Brandon Jack, Nic Newman.

Out: Jordan Foote (Omitted), Kieren Jack (Hip), Harry Marsh (Hamstring)

Franklin is the boogey man. Sydney usually kill us in the ruck and around the middle.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #141
The Midfield (as a collective) need to pull  their finger out and put some pressure on the ball carriers and make life easier for the defence. Kruezer will add a lot around the ball as well, an area in which we were whipped versus Port.

I would have played Cunners, wins his own ball and can spread, Graham doesn't add much run.  Will be watching his ball use with great interest.

I can see what they are doing with these ins but that doesn't mean I like them... if Alex S.  hasn't been  picked for a  specific role I don't know why we bothered - the best way to defend against Buddy is to choke his supply and force him higher up the ground to get the ball.  The 'G is big enough that the swannies' md will need more than three steps and a decent kick to find Buddy; Tippet and or Reid and the "connector" players will have a role to play and they need to be covered as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #142
Looking at that list I expect Weitering to go back besides Silvagni, the opportunity to play next to a seasoned AFL defender is too good to miss.

Marchbank or Plowman should go forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
I'm happy to see Alex in. Not a star, but a damn good foot soldier.

Kreuser is an automatic selection, and Billy Smedts should never have been dropped.

Nick Graham, well, why not.
Has been burning in the twos.

Some good decisions there.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #144
I think we'll see some late changes.

I'm expecting Murphy not to come up, and perhaps Kreuzer.

Jones will play IMHO.

He's an ideal matchup for buddy and can swap ends with weitering if required whilst pinch hitting in the ruck.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
Good to see the better performers from the VFL being rewarded.

Reply #146
A problem for Carlton is how to stay in the game while we wait for the pace of the game to come off to a level that blokes like Graham and Kerridge can compete.

We basically need a strategy that runs the Swans off their feet  for the first half but keeps us in the game.

We know if the pace of the game is such that Graham can keep up he's a star, and Kerridge works as hard as anybody.

I agree about Murphy and Kreuzer being possible late changes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147
Looking at that list I expect Weitering to go back besides Silvagni, the opportunity to play next to a seasoned AFL defender is too good to miss.

Marchbank or Plowman should go forward.

Looking at the emergencies, I think Weitering might miss (for Jones) ....Murphy also has to be in doubt.

Reply #148
Looking at the emergencies, I think Weitering might miss (for Jones) ....Murphy also has to be in doubt.

I agree that looking at the team as selected it looks unbalanced, I'm sure they won't line up like that unless Carlton is about to unveil it's radically new and innovative game plan!

But, I can't read much into the emergencies, to me they are mostly meaningless.

Take Armfield for example, I love Army but by AFL standards he had a shocker against Williamstown, nobody would accept his reinstatement to the AFL team is based on form yet he is named as an emergency. If Army gets a game we must have a club crippled by injury!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
Huge game for Nick Graham.