Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 28018 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #105
Our inside 50s were miles behind the Saints yesterday. We can't blame our forwards for that.

What we can blame our forwards on is their defensive pressure. Every week the opposition run it out with ease.

Casboult is easily run off and Weitering has no real pace or sideways movement, the only forward we have with defensive skills at the moment is Jack Silvagni and he's only a pup.
That said I think that St Kilda are a better side than some here are giving them credit for and with no standout team or teams this season they could well figure into the third week of the finals in my opinion.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #106
Crippa was showboating. He should have learned from the case of the Costa Concordia! I don't think he'll be repeating that mistake - he must have felt very foolish afterwards.
Agree but the umpire made a mistake, it should have been a free, 50m for the trip and a set shot for goal. Arent certain trips reportable?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #107
One other thing, I know Crippa a little brain fade running into goal in the 2nd but since when is it within the rules to give an ankle tap and get pinged for incorrect disposal?

I don't think it was an ankle tap.
I think he slapped his hip.

The reason he fell over is that the hip slap put him off balance so he tried to stop his kick (so he wouldn't spray it) and he essentially put himself off balance and tripped over his own feet.

At least thats how i saw it.

Reply #108
One other thing, I know Crippa a little brain fade running into goal in the 2nd but since when is it within the rules to give an ankle tap and get pinged for incorrect disposal?

I couldn't work out what was going on then. It felt like Crippa got ripped off though (but that's my undeniable bias).
Can someone explain please?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #109
I don't think it was an ankle tap.
I think he slapped his hip.

The reason he fell over is that the hip slap put him off balance so he tried to stop his kick (so he wouldn't spray it) and he essentially put himself off balance and tripped over his own feet.

At least thats how i saw it.

I was sitting fairly close to the incident and that's what I thought happened (I haven't seen a replay). Of course he could have had a shot or passed the ball off before that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #110
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/st-kilda-ahead-of-the-curve-against-carlton-but-blues-push-all-the-way-20170513-gw45h3.html

Good to see us written about in a reasonably positive light.
Man I don't miss all the cr&p we copped 2014,15.

Henry Ford.

Reply #111
The whole stkilda crowd saw murphy spit? Sounds like a load of crap.
How do you spit at someone while wearing a mouth gaurd? Not possible  i would say.

Reply #112
I think that yesterday showed we still have a lot of work to do on our setup week to week. A few things stood out to me.

First, with Alex coming into the team and playing well it does poses some issues to the matchups. Playing both White & Plowman was a mistake yesterday, as we have too many tallish, slower players. Plowman was on Billings at times and is way too slow for that role. I don't see how those 2 guys can play together.

Second, our transition from defence to attack really struggles when we have a lot of young guys in the team. I think guys like Smedts play a critical role as link players through the midfield that was missing yesterday.

Thirdly, we had sub 20 shots at goal again yesterday. We remain the lowest scoring team in the comp, and have been in the bottom 2 teams for scoring and shots on goal for the last 2.5 years. We have seen zero signs of actual improvement in these numbers, despite trying numerous combinations. We are staying in games due to good defence, but our inability to score means we are never going to win games consistently until we find forwards who can actually kick goals. The Weitering, SOJ and Curnow forward line struggled again. This seems obvious, but our lack of improvement when you look at the scoring numbers over such a long period of time is really concerning.

Our experienced players went really well yesterday, but it was the less experienced guys who collectively gave us very little. This is the downside of a young developing team, but I think there are some structural and selection issues that still need to be addressed.

I think we have the best backline in the comp. Tick.

Midfield is way under powered compared to other teams who are 50 plus games into their Samo / Fisher / Silvagni / Curly / Weit types.

Jaksch kicked 5 today and Sumner 3. Lamb 24 disposals.

I think weit needs a rest. Does that mean Jaksch gets a go?

Reply #113
I went to the game yesterday not looking at winning as saints have been playing pretty good footy this year and are on track to play finals all going well for them. I would of taken a 4 goal loss considering they have smashed us the last couple of years.

Loved that saints had to come down to our level as they could not break into their normal game style. Durig the third quater they  criscrossed their half back line a few times trying to find a way out. I just thought at the time that the had to revert to plan b to score as we had stopped their normal run and carry which we have had no answers to the last couple of years.

Levi did not have a good game yesterday. One thing i did notice was that he twice did not make the distance from the 50 both times landing in the square. In other years he has easily made the distance and kicked goals, his only issue been when close to goal. This year his goal kicking from close in has improved significantly with his new technique under sav's coaching. I'm just wondering if this new technique has cost him kicking distance and if this will be the next step that will need be addressed? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Reply #114
It was amazing how the entire st kilda crowd started booing murphy and nobody other than them at the ground knew why. And it turns out they were totally wrong about why they were booing him (spitting).

Sort of sums them up as a club really.

Reply #115
At the ground it was very obvious that Murphy ran up to Carlisle and yelled at him while he was on the ground, not a good look. But given that Murphy was sledged relentlessly in a personal manner about his family situation throughout the game, seemingly in a pre-determined team effort by the saints, I think the drug cheat got what he deserved

Reply #116
Alex Silvagni is not quite an enforcer but he certainly makes his presence felt in a physical nature, doesn't take a backward step and just makes all the others down there walk tall. He's been a great addition. (Haven't even mentioned his chase downs!!)

Reply #117
Re: Alex Silvagni
He's arguably been our best mature recruit. I thought he was a solid dependable contributor at Freo. Unfortunately he was often overlooked, with preference given to the Dawson lovechild.
That might be to our advantage in terms of his age/body. He's saved the best for the homecoming :))
Welcome home to the mighty Blues son.
Henry Ford.

Reply #118
At the ground it was very obvious that Murphy ran up to Carlisle and yelled at him while he was on the ground, not a good look. But given that Murphy was sledged relentlessly in a personal manner about his family situation throughout the game, seemingly in a pre-determined team effort by the saints, I think the drug cheat got what he deserved

Nobody near me had any idea. Booed like he'd stabbed someone. Turns out he said something to someone... what an animal. Boo!

Reply #119
Nobody near me had any idea. Booed like he'd stabbed someone. Turns out he said something to someone... what an animal. Boo!

I think the assumption was that he spat on the coke head. It could have been assumed when you look at the footage but he definitely didn't, because if he did, THAT would be the story.