Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 28030 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #60
The whole stkilda crowd saw murphy spit? Sounds like a load of crap.

Well I don't know whether they ALL saw him and by the same token they ALL weren't booing him.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
Carlisle was on the ground injured. We got a goal, Murphy stood over him and abused him. Pretty weak from our captain but I don't think he didn't spat.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
Not read all of this thread yet but a guy on the train after the game claimed that Murph actually spat on Carlisle whilst he was on the ground and that's why he was being booed. Don't know if this is true but if so it's very un-Murph like and he must have been pushed a very long way to react like that!

Ever tried spitting while wearing a mouthguard?  Tom Harley managed it when he gobbed on our supporters but it only just cleared the fence!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
I find it very hard to imagine Murphy spitting at anyone.... Carlisle is a tosser no doubt, but I'm guessing there's more to this story. It was quite a mêlée. Hope we don't cop any trouble from it. On the upside, pretty sure I saw Gibbs dishing it out ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #64
Carlisle was on the ground injured. We got a goal, Murphy stood over him and abused him. Pretty weak from our captain but I don't think he didn't spat.

Well let's hope not. Murph's better than than that and it seems totally out of character.

Reply #65
Ever tried spitting while wearing a mouthguard?  Tom Harley managed it when he gobbed on our supporters but it only just cleared the fence!

I don't think it would occur to me to spit on someone even without a mouthguard DJC, so I will defer to your expertise.  :)

Reply #66
I don't think it would occur to me to spit on someone even without a mouthguard DJC, so I will defer to your expertise.  :)

Toby Green might be able to enlighten you ;)
Henry Ford.

Reply #67
Carlton insiders believing Murphy was targetted. This is obviously about the rumours from last year which would explain why Murphy would berate an injured player.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
What happened to Carlisle? Saw him on the deck clutching the jewels.
Henry Ford.

Reply #69
What happened to Carlisle? Saw him on the deck clutching the jewels.
Heard on the radio it was a suspected split testy.  :-\

Reply #70
Ouch :'(
Wouldn't have thought he'd have come back on if that was the injury!
I thought he came down awkwardly (?? pushed or blocked) from a marking contest. Looked like he landed on Levi's knee. Levi was already on the ground on his back with knee bent.
Think one of our boys suffered that injury a couple of yes ago. Iirc he was out for a couple of weeks.

Henry Ford.

Reply #71
Saw the vision on Fox.

Carlisle is on the ground and Murphy's just given him a serve while he's running past.

Hardly anything to get worked up about. The crap stains just went after him because he was carving them up and he's skipper.

Don't forget this mobs treatment of an injured Ed Curnow. For Murph to have been even close to that he'd have had to kick Carlisle in the nuts while he was down.

Pity we lost.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #72
I try to avoid blaming the umpires because generally they get things right and you are left with 50/50 decisions for both teams right across the game...

But the thing that really bothers me, and it's not exclusive to today's game, is when a game has been an arm wrestle for the entire match - goal for goal - and then, an umpire pulls out a 50 metre penalty on a fatigued 18 year old kid to move the ball to within scoring range with five minutes remaining in the game.  The resulting goal places the game in a position where the competition has ended due to a score that has been manufactured rather than played for.

This isolated act impacted the result of the match in a completely unfair way that places game's integrity into question.

The game is not resolved by two teams playing on a level field.  It gets decided on the whim of an official who gets a rush of blood and wants to be involved in the drama of the game.

It killed what was an intriguing contest between two very even teams...although one team with a six point bonus when they needed it most.
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #73
No doubt joel Selwood and Luke Hodge would get away with giving the ball back slow.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #74
I try to avoid blaming the umpires because generally they get things right and you are left with 50/50 decisions for both teams right across the game...

But the thing that really bothers me, and it's not exclusive to today's game, is when a game has been an arm wrestle for the entire match - goal for goal - and then, an umpire pulls out a 50 metre penalty on a fatigued 18 year old kid to move the ball to within scoring range with five minutes remaining in the game.  The resulting goal places the game in a position where the competition has ended due to a score that has been manufactured rather than played for.

This isolated act impacted the result of the match in a completely unfair way that places game's integrity into question.

The game is not resolved by two teams playing on a level field.  It gets decided on the whim of an official who gets a rush of blood and wants to be involved in the drama of the game.

It killed what was an intriguing contest between two very even teams...although one team with a six point bonus when they needed it most.

this is AFL football, not school boy stuff.
An 18 year-old, fatigued kid is just one of 44 players out there and doesn't deserve  any special treatment.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.