Skip to main content
Topic: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating (Read 56416 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating

Reply #135
On paper the team looks good.

Blues by 19

Blues by 23
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #136
You guys are confident, I'm not. I'll be happy with a win.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #137
Cripps, Holman and Lucas named as emergencies, putting Everitt, Ellard, McInnes and Menzel on the bench.

I'm actually a bit disappointed to see Cripps miss out. His time will come though!

That's a very very strange bench - only one mid?

As Nathbear pointed out, when has a team lined up as named?

I reckon Cripps may still get a run as McLean must be in doubt after going off with injuries in the last two practice games.  I hope Cripps does play, but not necessarily at McLean's expense; we need his experience and hardness.

Still leaves us light on for mids no matter how you slice and dice it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #138

Tuohy, Simpson, Walker, Thomas, Murphy, Curnow, Yarran, Garlett, Robinson, Gibbs, Bell, Mclean and Ellard can all play in the midfield.  I'm more concerned about our lack of KPPs.  That's genuine KPPs, not ruckmen masquerading as KPPs or third talls trying to do the job.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139

Tuohy, Simpson, Walker, Thomas, Murphy, Curnow, Yarran, Garlett, Robinson, Gibbs, Bell, Mclean and Ellard can all play in the midfield.  I'm more concerned about our lack of KPPs.  That's genuine KPPs, not ruckmen masquerading as KPPs or third talls trying to do the job.

Well that's an endemic problem we have which can't be fixed by fluffing around with who you name on the bench DJC - there ain't many on the books - real good ones that is. What concerns me, aside from that, is whether we'll have enough MF run to match Port for 4 qtrs on Sunday - I don't think so and it's a worry.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #140
I'm disappointed that neither Rowe or Casboult could force their way into the team, particularly Rowe as he is more versatile than Casboult and could have given us another swingman to use like Henderson.  If neither is good enough to make the team now, I suspect we won't see much of them as the season progresses.

I'm more than comfortable with our midfield and I would expect more than the usual suspects to spend time in the guts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
Tonights game shows that aside from trends you cannot learn much from preseason.

Only meaningful trend that i can see is that we dont score easily.  Not new information but I would guess we are efficient with our scoring where we score off minimal entries inside fifty.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #142
I'd be concerned if Cripps wasn't fit enough.

Can't carry guys who can't run out games.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #143

He's just a kid and will need at least 2/3 pre-seasons to show us everything he has. Expecting someone so young to run out games at the highest level is a bit unrealistic, Cocko!  ;) :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #144

You can if you play them as the sub.

Personally i'd have Cripps in as the sub, rather than Ellard in the team.

Cripps' time will come, he'll be ok with somre more time and pre-seasons.

Reply #145

I've picked Port, we were pretty much even with them last season and we haven't had the best preparation with most of our best players under injury clouds.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #146

I don't know his level of fitness. All I heard i the pre-season was how poor his endurance was.

If it's somewhere around Menzels fitness last year he might be ok, any less than that he might struggle.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #147

I've picked Port, we were pretty much even with them last season and we haven't had the best preparation with most of our best players under injury clouds.

Just need Shadesy to not back us and we are a shoe-in

Reply #148

I don't know his level of fitness. All I heard i the pre-season was how poor his endurance was.

If it's somewhere around Menzels fitness last year he might be ok, any less than that he might struggle.

Not many kids can step up to AFL level fitness in the space of 1 off-season. And by 'not many' i mean like 1%.

Given that Cripps is a tall lad and is bigger than most 18yo kids coming into the game and is an in and under extractor. You'd expect he would suffer in both speed and endurance coming into AFL level. I dont think he is worse off than most coming into the league. Yarran is playing his 6th season this year and still doesn't have AFL level midfield fitness.

Go easy on Cripps. ;)

Reply #149

Not many kids can step up to AFL level fitness in the space of 1 off-season. And by 'not many' i mean like 1%.

Given that Cripps is a tall lad and is bigger than most 18yo kids coming into the game and is an in and under extractor. You'd expect he would suffer in both speed and endurance coming into AFL level. I dont think he is worse off than most coming into the league. Yarran is playing his 6th season this year and still doesn't have AFL level midfield fitness.

Go easy on Cripps. ;)

I swear you don't read whats written.

Who's having a go at him?