Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps (Read 25579 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps

Reply #75
Interesting article today about the Blues tossing up between McCarthy or Cripps, but went Cripps due to perceived leadership qualities.  Also reckoned they could acquired a young tall the following year.

Wehave slagged off our recruiting mercilessly - sounds like the thought processes was pretty sound at the end of 2013.

Was just thinking along similar lines myself earlier. Ah well!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
Yep
But I reckon there are a group of taggers (as Cripps gets even bigger and stronger) who are about to experience a whole new world of pain. ;D
Be interesting to see who breaks first ;)

They probably need to focus their attention on his receivers. I don't think they'll be able to shut him down in a year or two.

I see him going okay against most teams but it is those hardened Hawks, Freo, Swan teams that will probably get him hurting.

I think we were the last team to play taggers

Reply #77
I see him going okay against most teams but it is those hardened Hawks, Freo, Swan teams that will probably get him hurting.

I think we were the last team to play taggers

Taggers is probably a redundant term.
There are still tactics that are used to block and harass play-makers though.
While Cripps is still young they may get at him.
When he's been in the system a bit longer he'll be hard to stop.

He was initially a bit like a pup..with a little bit of puppy fat.
He's dropped a bit of weight and trimmed down.
Now he'll regain some of that weight as muscle. ;)

Reply #80
Taggers is probably a redundant term.
There are still tactics that are used to block and harass play-makers though.
While Cripps is still young they may get at him.
When he's been in the system a bit longer he'll be hard to stop.

He was initially a bit like a pup..with a little bit of puppy fat.
He's dropped a bit of weight and trimmed down.
Now he'll regain some of that weight as muscle. ;)

Going to get a lesson when we play Hawks, Freo, Swans etc.....unsociable footy they call it but its more about cheap shots when the umpire isnt looking.
I hope the other players look after him and give the support needed..dont mind a few reports either...

Reply #81
Line in the Sand game coming up  ;D (hopefully it doesn't turn into a Got Sat on our Arse game  :)))

Reply #82
Like Kristian Jaksch Perhaps?

Trading in blokes who haven't quite made the grade in weaker teams is always going to be a high risk strategy.  However, in terms of drafting, we have done OK with a few and ballsed a few up.  Probably no better or worse than most clubs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83
Development hurting us more than recruiting.

We might have a similar number of hits and misses but our hits have promised much and delivered less whilst our misses drop out of the AFL completely.

Other teams might miss, but they tend to miss for different reasons too. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #84
Trading in blokes who haven't quite made the grade in weaker teams is always going to be a high risk strategy.  However, in terms of drafting, we have done OK with a few and ballsed a few up.  Probably no better or worse than most clubs.

Kennedy was probably as good as Jaksch is right now when we traded him to WC.

I remember Kennedy loping out from the forward line like a lost kid, jumping at the ball and it cleared his head by 2 metres. I remember thinking - how is it possible this guy was a pick 5? Hendo when we first got him wasn't worth 2 bob.

Don't underestimate players who are still too young to tell - like Jaksch.

I hope we leverage SOS knowledge of the GWS list to pick up a bunch of their next rung down players who can't get a game. There is a truckload of talent still there. First round draft picks and U17 priority picks right through their reserves. Most of them still too young to have ramped up and trade value. Surely we can rip another 2 or 3 good ones. I still think Whiley will be very good eventually.

Reply #85
Interesting - GWS have never taken a pick in the National Draft later than pick 29.

Last year they took 5 picks in the top 24 (including Paul Ahern with our pick 7).

Reply #86
Beast!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/field-marshal-carlton-midfield-prodigy-patrick-cripps-is-shattering-the-record-books/news-story/96fa7aa6ad1d8fe95e2575f2f95cd17c

Field Marshal: Carlton midfield prodigy Patrick Cripps is shattering the record books

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
August 2, 2016 8:00pm

PATRICK Cripps has always done things ahead of time.

Growing up on the family farm in Northampton, 500km north of Perth, Cripps was riding a motorbike when he was three and a half and driving by five.

Things are no different at football’s highest level, where Carlton’s midfield prodigy is shattering the record books when it comes to inside, ball-winning grunt.

Cripps’ stoppage prowess is no secret, but it’s the sheer volume of coalface extractions that demands further recognition.

Cripps became the fastest player to 250 clearances when he played his 38th game, in Round 17 against West Coast. Behind him are players like Hawthorn champion Sam Mitchell, Sydney’s Josh Kennedy and dual Brownlow medallist Chris Judd.

At the same stage of their careers — 40 games — Cripps has outperformed Mitchell, Kennedy and West Coast’s Matt Priddis in disposal, contested possession, clearance and centre clearance averages per game.

Mitchell, Kennedy, Priddis — if that’s AFL ball-winning royalty, Cripps, at 21, is the prince.

Last year the country kid taken with pick No. 13 in the 2013 national draft became the youngest player to win the Blues’ best-and-fairest since John Nicholls, after whom the award is now named. This year he has gone to another level.

In his third AFL season, Cripps leads the competition in clearances (8.6 per game), pre-clearance disposals (12.6), is second in centre clearances (3.5) and ranks fourth in contested ball (16.1).

A whopping 48 per cent of his possessions are won pre-clearance — an extraordinary ratio and the highest percentage of any player.

If you’re being super picky, Cripps’ next challenge is to improve his speed and movement to more often become a factor when the ball leaves the stoppage. But when he and the ball are in the contest, he gets there first more often than not.

In Saturday’s narrow loss to Hawthorn in Launceston, Cripps had a game-high 11 clearances — half as many as the entire Hawthorn side. He also had a game-high 18 contested possessions and equal game-high 11 score involvements.

“It was a sound game,” a typically understated Carlton coach Brendon Bolton said afterwards.

“He was good in and around congestion. I would have thought his contested count and clearance count were really strong.”

Cripps is a phenomenon. As a 195cm midfielder, he is taller than North Melbourne great Wayne Carey and current stars Nick Riewoldt and Matthew Pavlich.

And when it comes to the fundamental art of winning the ball, he might just stand above everyone.

Fastest players to 250 clearances:

38 games Patrick Cripps (Carl)

44 games Tom Liberatore (WB)

44 games Sam Mitchell (Haw)

49 games Anthony Miles (Rich)

52 games Josh P. Kennedy (Syd)

CRIPPS THIS YEAR

Contested possessions 16.1 (4th)

Clearances 8.6 (1st)

Centre clearances 3.5 (2nd)

Pre-clearance disposals 12.6 (1st)

* All Averages

Source: CHAMPION DATA
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
He's a good ordinary player.

After all, it seems a fair assessment based on the advice from many on this forum suggest we trade away Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Casboult and Tuohy so that we can draft another five like Cripps at the end of the season.

Blokes like Cripps must grow on trees!  :D

Good ordinary player!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
The numbers are great and the numbers are true, but Patrick Cripps has not had as good a season as he did last year. He stagnated for parts of the season with injury and he is being tagged unmercifully. His disposals have sometimes not hurt as much as they have last year and he has a much too high handball to kick ratio.
And he is STILL best in the competition in clearances.[/color]

There have been times this year, when he has had a quieter period, that he has simply WILLED himself to get the ball and get it out. He has started taking some impressive marks, although he has not done that much since his injury. There is more to come from Cripps, who may be our best recruiting decision this century.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #89
@ Crash
I personally think that his performances this year haven been better than last for the following reasons:
1. The additional attention he is getting yet he is still accumulating good numbers;
2. I think he has been playing on one leg for the whole year (hence his reluctance to kick more)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time