Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 9; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 16606 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 9; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #15
Expect a hard game from Alex.

agree - and reckon from what I have seen from him he wont take a backward step.

I reckon if they try to roughen him up he will give back harder then he gets.

Reply #16
Expect a hard game from Alex.

Yes, you must recall that on field incident he had with a Freo team-mate, I can't recall who it was, but I expect no love lost!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Two interesting VFL comments from Josh Fraser from the weekend

14. Liam Jones
Stats: 13 disposals, 8 marks, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 3 rebounds 50s
From the coach: He played as a defender again and is reading it really well, both in terms of coming off his man to influence the contest and also using his strength and speed at ground level. His super form-line continues.  Must be close!!

31. Patrick Kerr
Stats: 14 disposals, 5 marks, 3 inside 50s
From the coach: Patty worked tirelessly all day as a key forward leading at the leg and in the air, while his tackling was as good as we’ve seen from him. I think he’s coming along pretty nicely and he’s one Carlton supporters should be excited about.
Will get a look at it shortly, I'm sure.

Reply #18

It says players are reviewed by Josh Fraser but the article is credited to Cristian Filippo.

But regardless, the form line of those players is obvious and it's great that they are pressuring senior players for spots.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19

14. Liam Jones
From the coach: He played as a defender again and is reading it really well, both in terms of coming off his man to influence the contest and also using his strength and speed at ground level. His super form-line continues.  Must be close!!

31. Patrick Kerr
Stats: 14 disposals, 5 marks, 3 inside 50s
From the coach: Patty worked tirelessly all day as a key forward leading at the leg and in the air, while his tackling was as good as we’ve seen from him. I think he’s coming along pretty nicely and he’s one Carlton supporters should be excited about.
Will get a look at it shortly, I'm sure.

Hope so.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #20
I remember Liam being mobile and athletic in his early days at the dogs, carved Andrew Walker up one afternoon. Haven't seen that from him since he has been with us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #21
Whispers on SEN that Gibbs will be out injured.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
14. Liam Jones

Super form line continues........ 13 disposals. Says it all. It's the same old problem for Jones. He's always struggled to get more than about 10 possessions in a game. He had a game the other week where he had about 20 which was amazing but he's reverted back to type.

17 games for Carlton - double digits possies 3 times only.

I hate to be negative on a guy who has some ability but I'd still rather see McKay / Kerr / Korcheck / Phillips play an AFL game.

Reply #23
Super form line continues........ 13 disposals. Says it all. It's the same old problem for Jones. He's always struggled to get more than about 10 possessions in a game. He had a game the other week where he had about 20 which was amazing but he's reverted back to type.

I hate to be negative on a guy who has some ability but I'd still rather see McKay / Kerr / Korcheck / Phillips play an AFL game.

Your opinion is being misled by reliance on the stats.

The other week as KPDs Rowe and ACoS were clearly among the best on ground, they had a grand total of 20 disposals between them! ;)

Btw., only a couple of the AFL's top ten KPPs average more than 16 possessions a game, and they average about 17!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Stats can be such nonsensical BS.

With all the 1-2-1 handballs and shorts kicks back and forwards, even a guy with 30+ stats can often have minimal effect on a game. Even at 100% efficiency.

Metres gained often more telling and even that can be misleading - does the metres gained include a 50m kick forward if it hits the opposition on the chest, for example?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25
Going to get a bit of rain over here Tomorrow and Saturday. Storms. Might continue to Sunday, so could be a grind in the wet again which helps us again.

I'm 1 for 1 this year in Games attended, will be hoping to make it 2 from 2.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #26

Pretty shallow analysis, may as well have come from Facebook.

Did you watch the game? We dominated possession and Liam played KPD he absolutely smashed or ate everything that came his way.

Same for the last 4 weeks.

Liams biggest problem will be shaking peoples, sometime unfounded, bias.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #27
Liam's only other big issue will likely be a lack of confidence in himself to play the game at the highest level which may very well see him have a poor one initially if promoted to the seniors, but he is giving it a red hot go and thats all we can really ask of him.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
Liam's only other big issue will likely be a lack of confidence in himself to play the game at the highest level

I tend to think that is why they are keeping him in the twos for an extended time, against the 'good performances will be rewarded' mantra.  Get him choc full of confidence so he believes that his good form is the norm.

Reply #29
Liam's only other big issue will likely be a lack of confidence in himself to play the game at the highest level which may very well see him have a poor one initially if promoted to the seniors, but he is giving it a red hot go and thats all we can really ask of him.

You'd have to back him in if he can be released to "play freely", just like another player we know!

Last weekend the game Jones played, the quick handballs to release a team-mate, his attack on the contest, they were all outstanding! You don't get stats for how many times you broke a pack or dispossessed your direct opponent. Having watched the game Jones would have been right up there for the 1%ers, as would have been Buckley, Boekhorst or Sheehan.

The biggest disappointment for me last weekend was the game from Phillips. He had not much opposition with all the opportunity to dominate, yet he played a Warnock style game with plenty of taps and not much else!
The Force Awakens!