Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 12594 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #90
He's now played 38 games.
……and a victim of the lack of continuity in the VFL competition over the past two years. Hard to develop and hone skills after what they’ve been subject to of recent times.

Reply #91
For all he's done in maintaining this site (and regardless of his football opinions) pay him some respect, instead of cheap shots  >:D
Nup.

Reply #92
No.

Dow, although he'd underperformed as well, always showed glimpses that he was AFL standard. He didn't get the Paddy WOW nickname for nothing. LOB was so far behind Dow in terms of output and development its like he was 2 years younger.

Agree

Dow also missed a fair chunk through injury whilst lob was just crap.

Even so the last 18 months has been tough for a lot of people and we have some list management issues regarding who stays and who goes.  For the first time in a long time we actually have a lot of tough calls to make on players come end of season. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #93
No.

Dow, although he'd underperformed as well, always showed glimpses that he was AFL standard. He didn't get the Paddy WOW nickname for nothing. LOB was so far behind Dow in terms of output and development its like he was 2 years younger.

If Dow wasn't given this little run of games he would be on the same scrap heap that LOB was on until last night, same as Kennedy. Giving Murphy another year was damaging to our development and embarrassing for him to be carried to 300.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #94
……and a victim of the lack of continuity in the VFL competition over the past two years. Hard to develop and hone skills after what they’ve been subject to of recent times.

There's also the very simple reality that some players take longer to develop than others. The question of how long a club should wait for a player to show something is a matter of professional judgment. If LoB was at Hawthorn or Geelong, he would have spent most of the past few years in the 2's. The Bolton / Silvagni "axis of evil" lol decided against this approach, in large part because stuff all development happens at the Bullants, and they were better off playing and developing the kids in the 1's.

Reply #95
LOB's form in the VFL was uninspiring to say the least, ok some players dont take to reserves footy and need the upgrade to senior footy to show something and will just sulk in the twos but you really couldnt say that LOB banged the door down to get a game with a string of BOG's for example.
This article I found interesting on Justin Leppitch's views on Lachie Obrien and why Richmond rated his skills but not his overall suitability. This summed up their view on him well IMO...“The Tigers are very clear on the type of person they want. You bring him into the door and then you’re asking an assistant coach to fix the issues to make him a competitive AFL player.”
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/04/the-top-blues-draftee-who-richmond-would-never-have-taken/

Good luck to him but I want to see more of the competitive LOB to be convinced....

Reply #96
The stats from last night's game don't make for great reading : Saints won the disposals (significantly), I50's, clearances, contested and uncontested possessions, marks and marks I50 (17-10). We won the tackles. That sort of statistical profile usually results in a good win.

Reply #97
The stats from last night's game don't make for great reading : Saints won the disposals (significantly), I50's, clearances, contested and uncontested possessions, marks and marks I50 (17-10). We won the tackles. That sort of statistical profile usually results in a good win.
Saints had a lot of meaningless ball, we had more system.....they probably won a lot of ball in the last quarter junk time where we looked tired especially players like Jack who couldnt jump anymore but our defenders held up well.
Steele had 36 possies but didnt influence the game, Hill did a lot of cheap receiving around half back.....Ross, Billings, Jones all just seem to kick around corners racking up stats but getting nowhere.
Love to know the self induced turnover stats for the Saints ..that young kid Connolly ran at a million miles an hour and then ran himself into trouble numerous times and gave the ball back with some horrendous Bower like disposal....you could see it coming just like you could with Bower.

Reply #98
Saints had a lot of meaningless ball, we had more system.....they probably won a lot of ball in the last quarter junk time where we looked tired especially players like Jack who couldnt jump anymore but our defenders held up well.

Our tackling and general pressure was very good, and goal kicking accuracy was once-a-season type stuff. But they had one less shot on goal, more I50's, and 7 more marks I50. They had enough chances IMO. I'm happy for the win, but not getting carried away just yet.

Reply #99
Unless the other team is having a nightmare in front of goal, and / or are turnover merchants, we won't be winning many games when the opp has that sort of statistical profile IMO.

Reply #100
Our tackling and general pressure was very good, and goal kicking accuracy was once-a-season type stuff. But they had one less shot on goal, more I50's, and 7 more marks I50. They had enough chances IMO. I'm happy for the win, but not getting carried away just yet.

Who cares if you win.  We were far more powerful. 

Reply #101
I do feel a little bit bad performing like that against a team coached by Ratten. He's on his second, and one assumes, last, chance at senior level, and I reckon getting success at the Saints would be a pretty tough gig. Given what he's been through, some success would be nice.

Reply #104
Just a mention for a couple of players who didn't trouble the statisticians too much - I thought Martin and (to a lesser extent) Owies were hard at it by putting on physical pressure in and around the forward line.

Martin, in particular, has the acceleration to do just that but it hasn't been something that he has done as effectively as he did n this game.