Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73836 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #375
Dont get the last bit, he made the mistakes but we still won, how would it have made a difference if it was H&A?

Greater intensity in the proper season G2C. An outside of the boot torpedo that misses its target could make the difference between a W and an L.

I thought Daisy was one of our better players but he needs to play the percentages.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #376
Greater intensity in the proper season G2C. An outside of the boot torpedo that misses its target could make the difference between a W and an L.

I thought Daisy was one of our better players but he needs to play the percentages.

Daisy was brilliant early.

He did some questionable things later, but....

Eddie Maguire spoke on triple m this morning about the lights at Ikon Park. He said they were terrible in our game, and terrible in his game. He said he spoke to a senior player who played in our game (didn't say which team) about the lights and unnamed player said it was very bad. A couple of times "players came out of nowhere" and you couldn't see the pick up the ball well enough to judge it sometimes.

Which senior player do you reckon Eddie Maguire just happened to have a chat too? My money is on Daisy as i'd doubt he'd have the number of many others...and truth be told, we don't even have many senior players on our list....nor the saints.

So....perhaps some of the silly things that Daisy and the others did on the night (and Curnofides springs to mind as well) were because players came out of the shadows and surprised them.

Either way, he suggested that the ground is unsafe for night footy, and at least partly that is because of the local residents, and something needs to be done because its a health and safety risk.

Might also explain Dow losing his teeth.

Reply #377
Watched the replay last night and being a little more relaxed noticed a few more things... just humble observations.

Liked Meat's game. Got better as the game wore on.

Yes, I thought so too.  His lead, mark and goal from the Dow pass was top class forward play.  However, Levi did some good work up the ground including a good spoil in the defensive 50.  Interestingly, McKay did a fair bit of work up the ground too.  Is that part of the plan for 2018?

Hasn't been mentioned much, but I thought Daisy was also good.

Daisy was one of our better players but some of his decision making and skills execution was terrible.  He needs to eliminate that rubbish from his game.

Cuningham was disappointing. Might yet be Lucas mark II (Boekhorst was Lucas mark I).

I thought Cuningham was good - but we’ve had differing opinions about him before  8)

I thought he attacked the footy and used it well when he got it.  He may have been hampered by the leg injury but I reckon he did more than enough to earn another run.

Mullet must work on being, seemingly, frightened! Did some good things though. I suspect he's better suited to the wings than down back.

I didn’t really notice Mullett.  That could be a good thing, or a bad thing  :-\

ZF is great the way he gets from contest to contest. Really good defensively, just like to see him take more possession and hurt the opposition more with disposal. He's a bloody little ripper though.

Young Zac is like a bee in a bottle.  Hopefully he will find a little more composure and be able to make better use of the footy.  His defensive intensity is first class but I’d like to see us get more value from his high work rate.

Garlett is going to be a beaut, genuine X factor.

I think you’re right Baggers.  The tackle that injured his shoulder was a ripper!

Like Pickett (below), he needs to be more involved in the game,

Like to see Pickett be a whisker more selfish if that's the right word. The run down the wing was blistering, just trying to pass to a bloke when so close to goal was not the best choice - should have just nailed it, or passed off sooner.

Yes, if you’re going to go for a run, you have to have a shot or dish off early. 

Pickett’s confidence in his ability to burn off the opposition is a good sign.  I’d like to see him be more involved in the game.

Gee Kennedy did some great, unnoticed, work.

Yes, I think I was anticipating more of a finishing role but Kennedy is a genuine hard nut and his attack on the footy - and anyone who gets between him and the footy - will make a huge difference.  As I said previously, Murphy will be a beneficiary, but I think that Ed Curnow’s workload will be lightened too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #378
Big kid, picking on smaller kids. AFL level is a different kettle of fish.

That's not reality.

Weitering wasn't even as tall as his CHF opponent in the AGS game he kicked 6, and in the MPFNL game he and Kieran Collins were against some very serious opponents even if the majority of the opposition team was ordinary.

btw., It's no accident we took Weitering at No.1, given he played several times in front of SOS(SOS at GWS and Carlton) and Brendan Bolton(Still at Hawthorn at the time), SOS had all the exposure he needed to make the decision and I doubt Bolton needed encouragement! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #379

Eddie Maguire spoke on triple m this morning about the lights at Ikon Park. He said they were terrible in our game, and terrible in his game. He said he spoke to a senior player who played in our game (didn't say which team) about the lights and unnamed player said it was very bad. A couple of times "players came out of nowhere" and you couldn't see the pick up the ball well enough to judge it sometimes.

Which senior player do you reckon Eddie Maguire just happened to have a chat too? My money is on Daisy as i'd doubt he'd have the number of many others...and truth be told, we don't even have many senior players on our list....nor the saints.

So....perhaps some of the silly things that Daisy and the others did on the night (and Curnofides springs to mind as well) were because players came out of the shadows and surprised them.

Either way, he suggested that the ground is unsafe for night footy, and at least partly that is because of the local residents, and something needs to be done because its a health and safety risk.

I don’t think so.

Dow lost his tooth because his mouth guard was in his sock.

Reverse torpedoes off the outside of the boot aren’t the most obvious way to compensate for poor lighting  ::)

Other players coped OK and our disposal efficiency was generally very good.

Reply #380

Why are you guessing so much tonight, have you a bad day?

Dow lost his teeth right on the boundary line in one of the brightest parts of the ground.

Perhaps the unsafe lighting complaint came from an Aints player making excuses, that just as if not more likely than to have come from any Carlton player, after all we all like to complain when we win! ;D

It could also be more Maguire bullsh1t!

Players were cleanly clunking 50m with the wind bullet passes!

btw., The AFL supply the extra match lighting! The media types have their back up now that the AFL have come out and said tough sh1t we ain't changing the lights. ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #381
One thing that amused/annoyed me was the commentators continually making excuses for St Kilda, eg "Carlton needs to win this more than St Kilda!"  ::)

The commentary team was unbalanced with Riewoldt and Del Santo talking to and about their mates but, throughout the telecast, there was an expectation that St Kilda would prevail.  No credit was given to Bolton or our players for a solid win over a Saints team that was as close to their best 22 as we were  >:(

Disappointingly I wasn't surprised by the commentary bias. Nothing new there. Except that it was at our spiritual home  :-\
I was most fizzed off last season during our home game v Saints.  Nick Dal was on the boundary. The half time break was filled with drivel about the Saints. I thought part of the home game gig was the club has promotional opportunities. Must've got that wrong I suppose  >:(
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #382
Thought Kennedy was quiet but his 15 disposals was pretty good given he only played a bit over a half.

I'd say that's a great start in the first half at a new club on managed game time!
Right on track for game high disposals. Not bad at all. I really liked his commitment to the contest. When the midfield find their mojo the flow on benefits of his hard yakka will become apparent.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #383
Disappointingly I wasn't surprised by the commentary bias. Nothing new there. Except that it was at our spiritual home  :-\
I was most fizzed off last season during our home game v Saints.  Nick Dal was on the boundary. The half time break was filled with drivel about the Saints. I thought part of the home game gig was the club has promotional opportunities. Must've got that wrong I suppose  >:(

The amount of times these jokers said "St Kilda is now asserting its authority on this game" or words to that effect all but made me puke...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #384

Liked Meat's game. Got better as the game wore on. He looks fitter, trimmer and more agile than I have ever seen him before

Like to see Pickett be a whisker more selfish if that's the right word. The run down the wing was blistering, I would like to see him use some of that blistering pace when he doesn't have the ball and become more of a 2-way player

Gee Kennedy did some great, unnoticed, work. Not completely unnoticed

A lot of games this season will rely on the work of Kreuzer and Cripps.

Reply #385
I don’t think so.

Dow lost his tooth because his mouth guard was in his sock.

Reverse torpedoes off the outside of the boot aren’t the most obvious way to compensate for poor lighting  ::)

Other players coped OK and our disposal efficiency was generally very good.

Dow lost his tooth because he got a hip and shoulder from an opponent he didn't see, but yes, his mouth guard was in his sock.

Reverse torpedos it not something you plan to do, but if someone jumps out of the shadows you throw it on the boot ASAP, that might be the result.

Charlie did similar. I don't think thats in his normal reportore either.

Players, commentators and now a club president has commented on how bad the light was. I'm not suggesting 100% of the ground was in complete darkness, but where there is smoke there is fire.

Reply #386
Bit odd lighting situation, did something break down , or you would have thought they would have tested the lighting earlier to be up to some standard?

Reply #387
That's not reality.

Weitering wasn't even as tall as his CHF opponent in the AGS game he kicked 6, and in the MPFNL game he and Kieran Collins were against some very serious opponents even if the majority of the opposition team was ordinary.

btw., It's no accident we took Weitering at No.1, given he played several times in front of SOS(SOS at GWS and Carlton) and Brendan Bolton(Still at Hawthorn at the time), SOS had all the exposure he needed to make the decision and I doubt Bolton needed encouragement! ;)

When i say that i'm not talking simple about height and weight.

I've got no doubt that taking Weitering was the right thing to do.
But as an example in regards to the difference between U18s and AFL.
First game i saw of Bryce Gibbs was when he playing for SA. 3/4 time the commentators were pumping him up. Bryce has had 30 possessions, kicked 3(?) goals and is now going to have a rest at CHB.
Bryce Gibbs is a gun player, best we could've taken at that pick and despite being one of the youngest drafted, was still beating up on kids. An AFL CHB option he clearly is not.
Paul Bower was AA CHB in U18's.

Whatever they were before is irrelevent. How they perform at AFL level is what matters now.

Jones, Marchbank and Plowman are simply performing better than Weitering has been in defence.

Why are people trying to paint this as something other than that.

You know what, Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall didn't make the AA teams every year because you can't fit them all in the side at once. That doesn't diminish their talent!

Reply #388
The amount of times these jokers said "St Kilda is now asserting its authority on this game" or words to that effect all but made me puke...

“StKilda are coming” - 5 goals down in the last with 10 mins to play!!

Reply #389
Peter Ryan has an article in today’s Age in which he analyses St Kilda’s options for “taking the next step”.  He effectively dismisses their loss to us with the statement:

The Blues adapted more quickly to the windy conditions kicking the first four goals but the Saints outscored them, and controlled plenty of play from that point on.

Yes, we did adapt quickly and our defenders playing several metres in front of their opponents in the first quarter led to many intercept possessions and forward thrusts.

It is true that the Saints outscored us - by five points - but that has little meaning when you are trying to make up a 27 point deficit.  The fact that we outscored them in the last quarter - against the wind - is pertinent.

I’m not really sure that they “controlled plenty of play” either.  They certainly strung together some good passages of play, and we did get a couple of goals against the flow, but I reckon we were more in control.

I guess it’s a reasonable article but why dismiss what was well planned and well executed victory?