Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35641 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #120
This would have to be one of the most infuriating match reports I've ever read:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/patrick-cripps-was-outstanding-but-sydney-too-good-for-carlton-as-swans-record-first-win-of-2019/news-story/008280d51685c5cbc6266e0ef3351e18

I won't post the whole thing but here are some highlights:
1. Rarely has a football team been built so exclusively around one player. Cripps isn’t just the heartbeat at Carlton, he’s the entire aorta and the lungs as well.

2. Bolton revealed the Blues had made a conscious effort not to over-coach Walsh. “We haven’t over-coached Walshy. It can be a real trap where you get a young guy in with a real free mind and spirit. It’s so important he keeps playing with the freedom and run he does.”

3. (Bolton)“Our ability to adjust in-game was a conversation. Another conversation was we had an extra scoring shot, but in set-shots we kicked 4.6. There’s a set of fundamentals that add up."

Reply #121
Shout out to big H setting a contested mark record today ????
Not a green shoot. Not an "almost". Not a "brave" performance.
But an achievement that supersedes all AFL players in this skill.

Take a bow H.

Take a bow when he does what Hipwood did yesterday....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
This would have to be one of the most infuriating match reports I've ever read:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/patrick-cripps-was-outstanding-but-sydney-too-good-for-carlton-as-swans-record-first-win-of-2019/news-story/008280d51685c5cbc6266e0ef3351e18

I won't post the whole thing but here are some highlights:
1. Rarely has a football team been built so exclusively around one player. Cripps isn’t just the heartbeat at Carlton, he’s the entire aorta and the lungs as well.

2. Bolton revealed the Blues had made a conscious effort not to over-coach Walsh. “We haven’t over-coached Walshy. It can be a real trap where you get a young guy in with a real free mind and spirit. It’s so important he keeps playing with the freedom and run he does.”

3. (Bolton)“Our ability to adjust in-game was a conversation. Another conversation was we had an extra scoring shot, but in set-shots we kicked 4.6. There’s a set of fundamentals that add up."

Points 2 and 3 sound fair enough to me. Point 1 has an element of truth to it, but has been exaggerated for dramatic effect. I don't have an HS subscription, but judging by this and other samples, it sounds like money well saved.

Points 2 and 3 come directly from Bolton's presser. It's on the CFC website, and IMO it's the best presser he's ever given.

Reply #123
I'm calmer now than yesterday...thankfully though I saw very little of it live (listened as much as I could).

Yes, we now have a more consistent effort across the park BUT our players still appear to have no system and no plan to counter a team like Sydney when a team like Sydney starts playing like a team like Sydney does....

BUT for those two very late goals in the 3rd we were a fair way off it....because BB and co simply had no answer to the Sydney game plan (which is the same game plan they've employed for 20 years mind you). And tried nothing from the reports I had at the time.

For all of the 2nd quarter and alll but a few minutes of the third we were underwhelming (to be polite). Not poor by any means but not at senior AFL footy level. Wing and a prayer kicks, handballs to team mates under the pump, lazy forwards....

That's what worries me the most.

We're losing games at the selection table and on match day. No way should we have played LOB, Polson, Gibbons, Setters, Dow, Fisher, Walsh all together against a very mature bodied, physical team like Sydney. SoJ, Kennedy (if fit) and Fasolo should have played. Fasolo needs senior game time in him (perhaps Bolton read Kruddler's rants here and jumped onboard), not fluff around time in the 2s.

Not to mention question marks over the fitness of Smurf and Marchy?

At least they had a plan for Buddy yesterday - would have been goal less bar the charity from the powers that be....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #124
Points 2 and 3 sound fair enough to me. Point 1 has an element of truth to it, but has been exaggerated for dramatic effect. I don't have an HS subscription, but judging by this and other samples, it sounds like money well saved.

Points 2 and 3 come directly from Bolton's presser. It's on the CFC website, and IMO it's the best presser he's ever given.
Its infuriating because its either true (yes, we're a one man team) or because our coach is basically acknowledging things we all see but he's not doing enough about.

Here's some more truth: "What impact on the game did Michael Gibbons or Cam Polson have? Will top-10 picks Lochie O’Brien or Will Setterfield enjoy their review? Where was Levi Casboult after an early contested mark on the wing?"

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney’s more to

Reply #125
I'm calmer now than yesterday...thankfully though I saw very little of it live (listened as much as I could).

Yes, we now have a more consistent effort across the park BUT our players still appear to have no system and no plan to counter a team like Sydney when a team like Sydney starts playing like a team like Sydney does....

BUT for those two very late goals in the 3rd we were a fair way off it....because BB and co simply had no answer to the Sydney game plan (which is the same game plan they've employed for 20 years mind you). And tried nothing from the reports I had at the time.

For all of the 2nd quarter and alll but a few minutes of the third we were underwhelming (to be polite). Not poor by any means but not at senior AFL footy level. Wing and a prayer kicks, handballs to team mates under the pump, lazy forwards....

That's what worries me the most.

We're losing games at the selection table and on match day. No way should we have played LOB, Polson, Gibbons, Setters, Dow, Fisher, Walsh all together against a very mature bodies, physical team like Sydney. SoJ, Kennedy (if fit) and Fasolo should have played. Fasolo needs senior game time in him (perhaps Bolton read Kruddler's rants here and jumped onboard), not fluff around time in the 2s.

Not to mention question marks over the fitness of Smurf and Marchy?

At least they had a plan for Buddy yesterday - would have been goal less bar the charity from the powers that be....

Agree with this - the game plan lacked enterprise and we played a very predictable game. It’s the coaches responsibility to instill his team with the confidence to take the game on and go for that kick through the corridor.

If we’re honest we’re getting very patchy performances from our experienced players like E Curnow, Simpson, Thomas, Murphy.  We need better. Ed is a great example 4 great goals but I counted 4 handballs that stranded his teammates and 4 kicks off the mark.

Along with Gibbons and Polson, we need to start dropoing guys from the group above to make a stand that 3/33 is not good enough.

Reply #126
Yes, our senior core - Simmo, Murph, Ed and Daisy never really influence games decisively.

Decent contributors more often than not, but they never change the tide...these days.

And Simmo, Ed and Murph can often be turnover merchants too. That is unacceptable for blokes of their experience....

Let's hope Matty K alters that trend on his return....

If Crippa were injured, we'd be truly shellacked week in, week out.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
Yes, our senior core - Simmo, Murph, Ed and Daisy never really influence games decisively.

Decent contributors more often than not, but they never change the tide...these days.

And Simmo, Ed and Murph can often be turnover merchants too. That is unacceptable for blokes of their experience....

Let's hope Matty K alters that trend on his return....

If Crippa were injured, we'd be truly shellacked week in, week out.

Ed kicked 4 goals. Reckon that had an influence on the game

Reply #128
Ed kicked 4 goals. Reckon that had an influence on the game

Ed got lucky...reference his first two games of the season....cost us dearly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #129
I thought our senior core - Simmo, Murph and Daisy - were non-existent.  Therein lies the problem.  Swans' senior core were their prime movers.

Ed contributed tremendously, but even he would admit that at least two of those goals were sheer flukes. I'm not banking on him being a multiple goal kicker in future, I can only recall him kicking more than one goal on about 5 occasions in his career.   I'd be happier if he could consistently kick 1 goal a game and lay 8 tackles.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #130

.... And I was calling for him to potentially be dropped for this game. Point still stands though.

Every player on your list can't influence every game they play.

Reply #131
.... And I was calling for him to potentially be dropped for this game. Point still stands though.

Every player on your list can't influence every game they play.

Well then, you miss the point. Read the Prof's comment - he's being less subtle but more correct.

When we have Doc and Willo at HB for Daisy and Simmo we'll be a lot better team - i'd like daisy at HFF, ditto Murph.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132
In the last, we had it in our forward 50 4-5 Times and converted with 3 behinds (I think).  That keeping it in our F50 prior to that, was non existent, which angered me greatly! Make it hard for them to get it out,Lock it in.

people around me were saying stop going to the zone (I couldn’t tell) but why did we wait until the 4th quarter to apply pressure?

To be honest, at the game it just seemed that not only were Syd much more direct with their delivery, but they wanted itmore - saw wat too many times a CFC player standing on the out waiting for the ball to come out.  Hugely frustrating to see Cripps pop up all over the ground doing it all - he’s gonna get mighty sick of doing that for nought every week!

Reply #133

I dips me lid to Ed for yesterday's efforts but will he be able to keep up that sort of contribution, or even close to it, on a regular enough basis?

Anyway, got home from the game yesterday feeling drained and exhausted and eventually, after a few beers, fell asleep for 2 hours on the couch with the Collingwood v Eagles game blaring away. Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to go to our next game in Melbourne, but not feeling very keen atm - a win would work wonders!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #134
Well then, you miss the point. Read the Prof's comment - he's being less subtle but more correct.

When we have Doc and Willo at HB for Daisy and Simmo we'll be a lot better team - i'd like daisy at HFF, ditto Murph.

You and prof have said the same thing, except you included Ed as a non-contributor he doesn't influence games. I am pointed out that he clearly influenced this game. Yes, he got a bit lucky with some stuff, but sometimes the ball bounces your way.

As for Murphy, Simmo and Daisy......people underestimate how important they are.

At worst, if they have zero influence on the game directly, they are at least forcing the opposition to man up on them and pay them some respect.
Disagree?
Buddy was largely useless for Swans because Jones flogged him.
Does that mean the swans would've been better off without him yesterday?
If he didn't play that means Jones is free to go to someone else, and flogged him...and so on down the pecking order.

The fact those guys are still around means that blokes like Walsh, SPS, Dow, Obrien get a lesser known player on them.

....and thats worst case scenario.

If they perform....