Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6194 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
re: Petracca...I thought it was a goal initially but also thought Marchbank was interfered with and it should have been a free so no goal awarded.
@LP Just the mention of Balme's name gets my blood boiling....

Let's not talk about the P****, let his behaviour speak for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKXn-ySUUNg

Best advert for a send off rule ever. >:(  >:(  >:(

Reply #106
If Marchbank says he touch it then that is good enough

I would be interested to know if the goal umpire believed it had been touched and just wanted confirmation that it hadn't cleared the goal line before being touched.  If so, there is no controversy because any touching, with whatever part of the body, occurred before the ball crossed the line.

On a separate issue, I thought the umpires did a good, consistent job in a very intense and physical game.  The allowed play to continue without paying soft free kicks and the late frees for kicking the ball out of bounds were both justified and to be anticipated.

Reply #107
The dopiest aspect of the so-called controversy was asking Petracca what he thought when he was 50 metres away.

Reply #108
I would be interested to know if the goal umpire believed it had been touched and just wanted confirmation that it hadn't cleared the goal line before being touched.  If so, there is no controversy because any touching, with whatever part of the body, occurred before the ball crossed the line.

What the goal umpire says to the field umpire initially is a bit hard to hear.

But the field umpires direction to the ARC is this....
"Score review...Umpire's call is touched one behind. Please make sure it was touched inside the field."

So from that we can make the assumption that it wasn't whether the ball was touched or not that was being questioned, but whether it was touched in the field of play.
EOS

Reply #109
The dopiest aspect of the so-called controversy was asking Petracca what he thought when he was 50 metres away.
Almost up there with Damien Barrett yesterday asking Kemp if he HEARD Marchys hand touch the ball 🤦‍♂️

Reply #110
re: Petracca...I thought it was a goal initially but also thought Marchbank was interfered with and it should have been a free so no goal awarded.
@LP Just the mention of Balme's name gets my blood boiling....
Indeed. I think I wrote elsewhere that Marchbank should have got a free; he was impeded without the ball by not one, but at least two Melbourne players. No score at all.
As for Neil Balme: I will forgive him for 1973 when Satan chases him around the MCG thrice, stabbing him in the backside the entrie way around.  His behaviour ... I'm not going there. It is still a raw wound 50 years after the fact. We had 14 fit players for most of that game. Kevin Hall played with a broken cheekbone. As to Southby - that was inexcusable.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #111
Coaches' votes :

9 George Hewett (CARL)
7 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
7 Nicholas Newman (CARL)
3 Jack Viney (MELB)
2 Angus Brayshaw (MELB)
1 Christian Petracca (MELB)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)

Reply #112
Almost up there with Damien Barrett yesterday asking Kemp if he HEARD Marchys hand touch the ball 🤦‍♂️

Damien who?
😉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #113

On a separate issue, I thought the umpires did a good, consistent job in a very intense and physical game.  The allowed play to continue without paying soft free kicks and the late frees for kicking the ball out of bounds were both justified and to be anticipated.

He has to know ~90%, he can't guess. The other ~10% is making sure. If doesn't see a touch then he calls a goal and asks it for a check to see if it is touched.

Reply #114
These are the best two sides right now. Bar St. Kilda's first half against us, Melbourne is the only side of the last 8 to be able to properly match it with us. They just looked like the two best sides. Pity we likely have to come from 5th. Hopefully the ladder stays as it so a win first week keeps us in Melbourne. Carlton v Collingwood week 2 would be big! Does mean an away PF if we won that but rather that in a PF than a SF. Anyway, best we get there then get past week 1 first before worrying about the rest.

Reply #115
It's bizarre, it's like a lot of neutral supporters wanted it to be a goal.

They are scared of us.

We are feared once again!

Reply #116
He has to know ~90%, he can't guess. The other ~10% is making sure. If doesn't see a touch then he calls a goal and asks it for a check to see if it is touched.

Refer to Lods' comment (above), which specifically addresses my query "the field umpires direction to the ARC is this....
"Score review...Umpire's call is touched one behind. Please make sure it was touched inside the field."

That indicates that there was no question about whether the ball was touched but whether it was touched in the field of play.

Reply #119
Refer to Lods' comment (above), which specifically addresses my query "the field umpires direction to the ARC is this....

That indicates that there was no question about whether the ball was touched but whether it was touched in the field of play.
Don't think you can draw this conclusion from this statement. 

When looking at a touched call, there are two criteria (a) was it touched and (b) if it was, was it in the field of play, or behind the goal line.  When the field umpire sends it upstairs, I am sure the expectation is that both criteria will be assessed.  I think "Please make sure it was touched in the field" is a simplified way of the umpire requesting that both criteria are checked.

Our saving grace was the soft call from the goalie - if he says not touched, and video evidence can't prove otherwise, criteria (a) is out the window.

I say we train all our backmen  to wiggle all fingers when they are reaching to touch a ball on the goal line.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?