Skip to main content
Topic: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath (Read 79946 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath

Reply #120
Wow....you hope it's not gonna turn out like that, then wham, you find yourself watching a train-wreck. That's about as frustrated and resigned to the fact of our mediocrity I've ever seen Carlton supporters at a game in recent memory.

It was gobsmackingly awful for the most part and ended up being very symbolic of where we're at: we can be very good, we can be very bad, but mostly we're just plain ordinary....a very 'nothing' team, firmly entrenched in the nether regions of the AFL ladder.

Gointocarlton quoted something I said verbatim whilst at the game tonight....that McInnes should never wear Navy Blue again. The guy is a spastic and is beyond being a liability out there, he is horrific.

And we won't have to worry about seeing Walker for the next 2-4 weeks....wtf was he thinking?

Murphy yet again demonstrates his title as the most ineffective captain in AFL, Kreuzer can no longer be accused of being over-rated 'cos he's that ordinary and I couldn't have been less underwhelmed with Thomas - who, if he continues in that vein, will be referred to as the 'Collingwood reject'....any chance at all of him kicking more than 30 forking metres?

My feelings of dread leading into this season became a reality before my very eyes tonight....and I was so hoping that wouldn't be the case, whereas now I can't see it being any other way.

.....and this is just round 1

Oh dear......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #122
I told you guys.  We are simply not as good as we all hoped we would become and that wont change while 25% of our team impersonate the invisible man and play selfish football.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #123
When we got Judd we needed to bite the bullet, get rid of all the dead wood and create a list that could have been the envy of the AFL about now. But alas no, we thought we could win a flag from his recruitment along with a couple of #1 draft picks. The problem with this football club is we still believe the most potent weapon is a cheque book and poaching from the past. Bring in a proven coach on the wrong side of his career. Check x2!!! Recruit a fitness coach from the new coaches old club. Check! Bring in a former coaches pet. Check x3!!

We are not the innovators. We just think that because "we are Carlton" that will get the job done. Pathetic! We need a broom through the board and we need truly passionate Carlton people with a finger on the pulse of the reality of AFL footy in 2014 to take the reins and make the hard calls.

Wayne Hughes should have been sacked years ago.

IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #124
If our gameplan was no good, we wouldn't have held the lead for 3/4's of the game..  We made some silly mistakes and ran out of legs.

Malthouse has definitley changed his gameplan since last year and since his Collingwood days.. And for those who think he's too stubborn to admit it, he admitted it in an interview over the pre season that he would adjust the gamepan to keep up with the game and to suit our players and said he's not that stubborn to think that his old gameplan would work with our players, so he takes advice and tweaks it.. From memory he said he also took feedback from the players on what style they thought suited them.. Hes not stupid.. Its his job on the line so he will do whats best to get wins for our club.

Reply #125
Gointocarlton quoted something I said verbatim whilst at the game tonight....that McInnes should never wear Navy Blue again. The guy is a spastic and is beyond being a liability out there, he is horrific.

Fellow spastics include, (*anger may subside during coming rounds)

Bootsma
Casboult
Garlett
Lucas
Robbo
Rowe
Watson
White
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #126
What an awful display for a first up leadership group game by 1AW, as undisciplined as I have seen him play.

Some okay signs but also some play as bad as anything Collingwood produced against Freo with Port players running free wherever they pleased. I am pretty tired of opposition who know they can take our players on and break free.

We can put thoughts of flags to the side for now and figure out what we are going to do with the very huge void that is following the Gibbs generation. Personally, I say the writing is on the wall and let's get games into Cripps, Menzel, et al.

Forget the boundary, we have no idea how to execute that game. Forget the torp, it again bit us on the arse.

Reply #127
At times tonight we played the type of football that is going to bring us into contention. I thought it was an improvement on last year.

Unless PA play in the GF this year, that was a FKN disaster. We can't keep settling for second best. Christ we nearly beat the Hawks last year if not for the umps.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #128
Exactly as I feared. We ran out of run, were smashed in th midfield and Port just swarmed all over us!  >:(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #129
If our gameplan was no good, we wouldn't have held the lead for 3/4's of the game..  We made some silly mistakes and ran out of legs.

Malthouse has definitley changed his gameplan since last year and since his Collingwood days.. And for those who think he's too stubborn to admit it, he admitted it in an interview over the pre season that he would adjust the gamepan to keep up with the game and to suit our players and said he's not that stubborn to think that his old gameplan would work with our players, so he takes advice and tweaks it.. From memory he said he also took feedback from the players on what style they thought suited them.. Hes not stupid.. Its his job on the line so he will do whats best to get wins for our club.

Posts that are calm and reasonable shall be ignored.

Please revert to self flagellation mode immediately.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #130
I think Lucas would have been handy tonight.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #131
Bell, Robbo and Curnow (thought he was excellent) simply can't all play in the guts together at the same time, as their disposal and decision making (curnow's not bad) isn't good enough. Was watching a dodgy connection of the game, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like Gibbs hardly played in the guts - WTF??? He is far more accomplished than the aforementioned trio in these facets of the game, yet is not played on ball, his most suited role which would most benefit our team, . Again, WTF, especially with Judd and Carrots not playing?

Reply #132
McInnes and Watson cant play in the same backline together...in fact McInnes is a VFL player only...I'd play White or Giles ahead of him.
Watson always seems a couple of steps off the pace  of the game, not sure where we are headed with him.

Same old Same old...need two Hendersons......every team we play will load up with three talls forward and force us to drag Henderson back.

Game plan.....wont work with this team who dont have the skill level to hit targets all the way along the boundary line, Jamisons kick out off bounds under no pressure was a fine example.

Walker has to play forward to make us more potent, dont like him down back, gets frustrated and lost his cool a couple of times....
All of the above, McInnes and Watson shouldn't play for a long time after that display. Be good to get Carrots and Juddy back back we cant keep going back to the same well.

Menzel should never have been sub, really rate his intensity, wont shirk a contest.

Warnock doesn't do enough around the ground, Krueze not enough in the ruck, and neither of them is a forwards rectum. Between them they laid 1 tackle, and took 4 marks! :o

Get Scotland in too, quality ball user.

Miss Daisy would want to get better as well.

Also just an observation, i'm well aware that versatility is the key, but is it really?

Wouldn't it be much harder for the guys to settle if they are being thrown around from bumhole to breakfast!

Reply #133
Those who support the boundary line game should have a look at how easily PA were able to stop our run at certain points in the game and swing the momentum back.  As soon as we got the ball out they had numbers on the boundaries and we looked dead in the water.  The MM apologist must be happy with the signs of improvement in his secon year.  Imagine what wet dreams you'd be having if you were GWS or PA supporters with coaches who provide instant improvement without blaming list mgt :o . FMD when Ratts was coach every loss was his fault now it's all the players fault  ::)
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #134
One of the best 1st quarters that the boys have ever played.
Consistently dropped off from there. So much so that they didn't even turn up in the last.

We have our issues, no doubt, but Port (and Freo) are the only top 8 (9) sides from last year that have shown any serious talent out there and i reckon the entire AFL has underestimated them.

They overrun sides all last year and were predicted to do the same again during the pre-game rundown. Whether that is confidence, fitness or both...it is working for them.

In our own backyard, well i hate to say it again, but Bell and Robbo are becoming a liability. For everything good they do, they do twice as many bad. Whether it is simply kick and hope, or taking the wrong options...or kicking into the man on the mark! They manage to do things that hurt us. Bells inability to run out a game continues to haunt us and led to us losing a mid rather than a ruck as a sub. Which contributed to our demise and lack of run.

Speaking of rucks, i'd drop both Kreuzer and Warnock and bring in Wood and Casboult. I think Casboult has been next to useless of late, but at least he provides us with something different. Wood is an honest battler with an above average pair of hands which immediately puts him above the 2 that played last night. No good winning the hitouts every week if half of them go to the opposition, and for the rest of the game you are invisible. Hitouts are not THAT important as a stat that you can go missing for the rest of the time.

Daisy, i love the kid, but he had a shocker. Lack of confidence or something saw him do some terrible things last night. I'll put that down as a once off, because i doubt he'd miss too many shots from 25m out too often.

Ellard...i've never been a huge fan of his, but he makes the most of his opportunities, generally and filled in the hole that Betts left. Personally i would've preferred Menzel getting the start with Ellard as sub, but he'll get a pass from me.

Changes...
IN: Buckley, Graham, Carrazzo, Armfield, Wood, Casboult
OUT: Walker (susp), Robinson, Bell, McInness, Kreuzer, Warnock