Skip to main content
Topic: Who is in your team for Round 1? (Read 2892 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Who is in your team for Round 1?

Reply #15
I'm happy with TDK and Pittonet in the same team. They'll more than likely rotate off the bench.
I think that's a given.

The problem seems to be having BigH, Charlie, Cripps, SoJ, McGovern, Weiters, McDonald in the team as well, that's a lot of top end to carry under the current Stand Rule, you'd want to have pretty sticky hands and pinpoint precision kicking so the ball doesn't hit the deck too often!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Pretty much with you on the team EB. For mine Setterfield and Williamson aren't in there.

Tigers have a pretty good midfield with lots of runners....Ed Curnow always an option for one of those roles.

I'm happy with TDK and Pittonet in the same team. They'll more than likely rotate off the bench.

Different roles/positions but it might come down to a question between Ed and O'Brien. I wasn't completely sold on LOB in that game against Melbourne....got a fair bit of it but still some clangers and poor decisions.
Agree Surfie.....Pittonet and TDK compliment each other with JSOS as the Shaun Grigg backup. Nank and Soldo dont take prisoners so its going to need Pittonet to asborb the body on body stuff and like I said before I think TDK can then come into his own and use his athletic abilities late in the game to be an influence.
Dusty, Cotchin, Prestia and Bolton especially the latter will be a handful.......Bolton has gone to the next level and is very dangerous especially when he drifts forward as he kicks goals and is one of the most elusive players in the game.
Dont want Dusty ending up on Williams or Newman either as that will be a slaughter, I think we need Ed Curnow in the team along with Plowman as options for some difficult matchups.
While Plowman isnt everyones fav player and can make errors he is on his day capable of playing a good game on those mid sized strongly built players who worry us and IMHO is needed as cover.
Everyone has gotten loved up with Lachie Obrien this season but IMO Paddy Dow is a much better player but it looks like Obrien will be a starter in Round1 but he still gives me an insecure feeling. Like you I thought he made as many errors as he did positive pieces of play preseason and the thought of him picking up the likes of Shane Edwards or Liam Baker would keep me awake at night if I was Voss.

Reply #17
Nank and Soldo dont take prisoners so its going to need Pittonet to asborb the body on body stuff and like I said before I think TDK can then come into his own and use his athletic abilities late in the game to be an influence.
I'd heard that one of Nankervis or Soldo is under an injury cloud, if so they'll probably ruck Lynch or Riewoldt inside F50.

I think if Pittonet and De Koning both play BigH makes SoJ redundant inside F50, because in a crunch we'll have BigH and Charlie in F50 and Weiters and McGovern in D50. We can basically run a ruck just between the arcs and run opposition rucks into the ground. And that is ignoring using Cripps or McDonald at the odd stoppage. McGovern has extendable arms and can go body on body against anyone.

With all that spare height on hand you want to have a very good argument for going in short of some run.

PS; What's the weather report?
(Humid. Partly cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. )
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Here's mine:
FB   Newman      Weitering   McDonald

HB    Williams   McGovern   Saad

C     O'Brien      Cripps      Fisher

HF    Martin      C.Curnow   Kennedy

FF   Silvagni   McKay      Owies or Durdin (If fit)

R   Pittonet   
RR   Hewett
Rov   Cerra

Int   De Koning   Docherty   E. Curnow   Kemp

Reply #19
Rocky...I reckon both Owies and Durdin play if Durdin is fit. They seemed to gel pretty well in that practice game against Melbourne.

I'd leave Kemp out...might be one too many tall options with him in.

Reply #20
Tigers small forwards are smart crafty goal scorers and when you add Dusty resting deep this is the main danger for us IMO as I doubt they can rely on their 2 big forwards kicking a bag.

Going to be very interesting to see if a new coaching panel will allow Dusty to run his own race and if again small forwards inflict pain like they have over so many years.

Still its our best chance to take the points in a season opener for a long time - if their smalls don't cause us too many headaches on the scoreboard I think we have enough power forward to kick a winning score.

Blues by 12.

Reply #21
If Nankervis plays after recently having COVID, and Pittonet or De Koning catch COVID, is there a potential pathway to making a civil claim for compensation against the Ferals or it's players?

Is there any potential liability?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Rocky...I reckon both Owies and Durdin play if Durdin is fit. They seemed to gel pretty well in that practice game against Melbourne.

I'd leave Kemp out...might be one too many tall options with him in.
Tend to agree Surfie, need as much speed and chaos in the fwd 50 as possible. Durds will be the next big thing I reckon (there a lock if fit) and Owies is smart and a reliable kick for goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
I think that's a given.

The problem seems to be having BigH, Charlie, Cripps, SoJ, McGovern, Weiters, McDonald in the team as well, that's a lot of top end to carry under the current Stand Rule, you'd want to have pretty sticky hands and pinpoint precision kicking so the ball doesn't hit the deck too often!

Most of the players you mentioned are pretty handy when the ball hits the ground LP.

It seems like Richmond will go with Nankervis, Soldo, Grimes, Tarrant, Gibcus, Broad, Riewoldt, Lynch and Balta so there's a bit of height on both sides. De Koning and, (hopefully) to a lesser extent, Silvagni provide points of difference as rucks and I suspect that our talls would have a slight edge in athleticism and agility.

The key to the game seems to me to be getting the right match up for Dusty when he goes forward.  The other side of the coin is whether Richmond will have the right match up for Cripps when he goes forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
One interesting observation - we seem to be at the stage of

'can't fit them all in'

which is a pleasant change from

'how the hell does he get a game?'.
Agree.

But...at this time of the year we are generally saying the same thing each year.
Its only until they play that we realise they are not as good as advertised.

But.....THIS year is different.....
*prays*

Reply #25
The key to the game seems to me to be getting the right match up for Dusty when he goes forward.  The other side of the coin is whether Richmond will have the right match up for Cripps when he goes forward.

George will likely get Dusty when on the ball and Newman when he rests up forward.

Like your side, Rocky. If his calf is okay, Durdin is a certainty, along with Owies. Ed might end up the emergency in this case.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
Tend to agree Baggers....if they use Hewett as you've suggested, Ed might not be in the starting 22.

Reply #27
Hewett, from what I remember, played as an inside player at Sydney, backing up Kennedy.to win the ball. Dusty tends to roam far and wide so he may prove a bit elusive for George, but we'll see I guess.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
He was used as a stopper but that wasn't his only role at Sydney. He believes he is a capable ball-getter too. But if he's given the job of tagging Dusty, he'll be happy to be a lockdown mid.

Reply #29
I think that George will go to Dusty when he's in the midfield (and that could mean Ed Curnow's no longer a walk-up start).  However, I would prefer to see Fisher on Dusty; he has perfected tackling the fend-off arm, has the speed and agility to keep him under pressure, and would be able to run off him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball