Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45030 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #165
You're obviously pleased with his output. I suppose some are easier pleased than others. But hey, I'm not here to judge...

Murphy's had an excellent career. You're just a hater with no idea.

Reply #166
Something certainly doesn't add up.

There's such a dramatic difference between games where we bring effort and games when we don't seem to have that same attitude.
The problem I'm having is that you can almost predict which Carlton side will show up following the team selections on a Thursday night.
The fact that it's predictable indicates to me there are a few things going on and being manipulated behind the scenes.

It's a dangerous game though.
Angry supporters are one thing.
Wealthy angry powerbrokers are another story...and if they surface and gain momentum the best laid plans may suddenly be out the window.

I have far less tolerance for tanking than I do for incompetence - soul crushing stuff.

" "It is terrible and unbearable to an artist", he said, "to be encouraged to do, to be applauded for doing, his second best."

Babette's Feast, by Karen Blixen, for those who may be interested.

Reply #167
We aren't tanking.
We have a poor list due to our abysmal recruiting over the last decade, 5 or 6 of our first round picks no longer at the club for example, this same abysmal recruiting means that we lack a cohort of mid 20's 100 game plus players to provide leadership and stability.
There's simply no easy or quick fix, and why we have refused to countenance a priority pick is a mystery to me.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #168
This week against the Aints will be interesting... from a tanking view point, we can afford to win because we won't jeopardize our last place. A 'no risk' win. Probably will win to avoid the worst season ever tag.

Whatever is going on at our club it can't all be attributed to injuries and turnover of playing personnel... too many of our kids seem to have lost their appetite for the contest and/or seem confused. And way too many of the blokes we've traded in are ordinary or non-hackers!

My biggest concern is that Crippa's agent/manager will take him to one side and whisper, "Mate, sure you don't want to go home? We could slot you in at the Eagles for very good money and they're a side doing well. Do you really want to waste your great potential and career with these seductive talking losers?"
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #170
My biggest concern is that Crippa's agent/manager will take him to one side and whisper, "Mate, sure you don't want to go home? We could slot you in at the Eagles for very good money and they're a side doing well. Do you really want to waste your great potential and career with these seductive talking losers?"

Like that'll happen! Do you think a manager would behave that way, what's in it for the manager, premiership player wage commissions on marketing and bonus payments or something? ::)

They are basically financial managers, if they didn't make that suggestion they would be in trouble, it would be negligent!

Was yesterday's game the game a team plays when it knows Cripps is leaving?

Was the Kreuzer helmet a sign of a career ending?

Something was not right about yesterday's game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171

Cripps came out yesterday and said that the players needed to stick tight and work hard, and that they were all in it together.
He either meant what he said and won't be going anywhere or it was spin, we'll find out in due course I guess.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #172
Cripps came out yesterday and said that the players needed to stick tight and work hard, and that they were all in it together.
He either meant what he said and won't be going anywhere or it was spin, we'll find out in due course I guess.

That was spin but what you would expect and want to hear......

Reply #173
Playing 4 talls in defence then expecting to play a zoning, offensive game, just doesn't make sense. Essentally dumb coaching.

Reply #174
Like that'll happen! Do you think a manager would behave that way, what's in it for the manager, premiership player wage commissions on marketing and bonus payments or something? ::)

They are basically financial managers, if they didn't make that suggestion they would be in trouble, it would be negligent!

Was yesterday's game the game a team plays when it knows Cripps is leaving?

Was the Kreuzer helmet a sign of a career ending?

Something was not right about yesterday's game!

Fridays "Whisper" in the Hun suggested something similar, ie recalled player fearing that this might be his last game, I thought Gilbert, but I was concerned about the helmet too, said as much to Mrs Hanwell, there had been no mention from the club in regards to him wearing a helmet. Agree something smells in Denmark folks.
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #175
Playing 4 talls in defence then expecting to play a zoning, offensive game, just doesn't make sense. Essentally dumb coaching.

Agree..I guess tactically we knew Bolton wasnt going to be head of his class given his lack of experience, think he needs better support around him
to help him with his match day coaching. Was also very slow to respond to how Beams was slaughtering us and getting out on his own.....
I will credit him for putting work into Zorko though and the Ed Curnow/Lamb tag worked ok for the first quarter till the floodgates broke...

Reply #176
Agree..I guess tactically we knew Bolton wasnt going to be head of his class given his lack of experience, think he needs better support around him
to help him with his match day coaching. Was also very slow to respond to how Beams was slaughtering us and getting out on his own.....
I will credit him for putting work into Zorko though and the Ed Curnow/Lamb tag worked ok for the first quarter till the floodgates broke...

I'm not sure he is cut out for the job of such a big rebuild with his experience. Melbourne at least used Roos for that job.

Wonder if a lack of AFL playing experience contributes to that. Don't really know if that's the case, just throwing out there.

Reply #177

Bolton spoke about this very issue in his presser. Said we were behind on the scoreboard and it becomes a robbing Peter to pay Paul scenario if we try and tag too many.  He said there's little point in playing 2 or 3 taggers when we are trying to win a game of footy - trying to tag Beams, Zorko etc. doesn't help us score. We didn't see much that was good yesterday, but I think he understands tactics well enough.

Reply #178
Murphy's had an excellent career. You're just a hater with no idea.

Murphy's had a decent career, a good player. Nothing more.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #179
Murphy's had a decent career, a good player. Nothing more.

That's a silly statement Flyboy which exposes your prejudice!

Marc Murphy
Carlton captain (2013–)
2× John Nicholls Medal (2011, 2017)
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year (2011)
All-Australian team (2011)
AFLPA Best First Year Player Award (2006)
AFL Rising Star nominee (2006)
Larke Medal (2005)
International rules series (2008)

There would be less than a a dozen or so players in the league with a better personal record!
The Force Awakens!