Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 78424 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #225
Gee part of me is pretty confident in an upset.

Reckon the Tigers are underdone and we will win plenty of ball.

I can't see us turning around our skills and execution so quickly, but their is plenty of experience in that side and reckon the Tiges are quite ready for 2016.

I am not holding out much hope though.

I reckon thoughts of an upset win are not misplaced.

Weitering adds another dimension to our defence with his ability to take intercept marks and use the ball creatively.  Our midfield is right up there and hopefully can assist the forwards to kick a winning score. A lot will depend on who gets the nod for the second key forward spot.

Of course, our ability to consistently execute Bolton's gameplan under genuine match conditions will be the most telling factor.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #226
With a young side, all these outs from Rich will create another headache for us, getting ahead of ourselves. BB will have to work heard this week to control that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #228
Great to have optimism , but reality is a harsh mistress , we don't have forwards who kick goals, averaged btwn 5-6 goals in our 3 NAB matches we have to at least double that to even look reasonable. We might win the contested possessions , we might break even in the mids , but we don't convert. Unless we find a real avenue to goal that can convert we will be in this for periods of the game. But the lack of scoreboard pressure will take effect and we roll away , sad but true.

Reply #229
Great to have optimism , but reality is a harsh mistress , we don't have forwards who kick goals, averaged btwn 5-6 goals in our 3 NAB matches we have to at least double that to even look reasonable. We might win the contested possessions , we might break even in the mids , but we don't convert. Unless we find a real avenue to goal that can convert we will be in this for periods of the game. But the lack of scoreboard pressure will take effect and we roll away , sad but true.

It will be interesting to see whether BB tries to find some new avenues or whether he persists with those we tried in the NAB Challenge, or a combination of both. I'll be looking for something new and creative together with more precision when we do try the long kick into F50. We must be looking for leading players and guys one out, not for contested situations where we are well covered.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #230

IMO, this is unfortunately true. Huge amounts of work still to be done.

Reply #231
I keep saying, BB has something up his sleeve for our forward line.  :-X
All will be good......fingers crossed.   >:D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #232
Maric in doubt,  severley underdone if he does play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #233
I keep saying, BB has something up his sleeve for our forward line.  :-X
All will be good......fingers crossed.   >:D

I suspect that all he's got up his sleeve is an arm  ::)

I'm sure he has a long term plan but it won't come to fruition until we draft and/or develop a quality key forward.  He will have a plan B but he can't kick the goals himself.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #234
I suspect that all he's got up his sleeve is an arm  ::)

I'm sure he has a long term plan but it won't come to fruition until we draft and/or develop a quality key forward.  He will have a plan B but he can't kick the goals himself.
So what are you saying, the Coach cant get them up for the task?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #235
He'll have something up his sleeve for sure. In the end if the midfield can deliver some quality ball inside 50m forwards will naturally thrive.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #236
Our Forwards have to get moving, get on their bikes and be mobile.

When's the last time we saw Levi stream full tilt and get hit lace out ala the Fev days.

We too often see our forwards duck back and call for the big bomb. Need to get mobile, need to get active.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #238
I wish we were good enough to take advantage!!!
Have faith Shades. Right now? We all start square, Zero Wins, Zero Losses.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #239
Our Forwards have to get moving, get on their bikes and be mobile.

When's the last time we saw Levi stream full tilt and get hit lace out ala the Fev days.

We too often see our forwards duck back and call for the big bomb. Need to get mobile, need to get active.

This is the crux of the issue. Our forwards need to be moving alot more than they seem capable of, while maintaining some semblance of position. Its all well and good for Casboult to fly, but at best, he is going to take 5 contested marks a game, and only maybe a couple close to goal. It is uncontested marks forward that are needed to score, but these take constant movement as a team to create spaces where the ball can be delivered. Accurately.

Casboult will have a good defender all season, so he is going to have to improve a great deal. The midfield will have to step up as goal kickers. But it is hard to see us kicking more than 10-12 goals per game.  Our skills and team work just aren't good enough.