Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Footscray (Read 7630 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Footscray

Reply #15
I'll always cut someone slack off an injury. Hands up those who bagged Kennedy this year. Bet no-one owns up. Doesn't mean i'd play Levi if he can't get a kick. He should've come back though the NBs.

FMD, Kennedy is in his 3rd year with 20 games, Casboult is in his 10th year!

Make a realistic comparison! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Sorry Iaj, No more slack for Casboult.   He might be playing hurt but he ain't contributing.  Three set shots burnt,  four lousy possessions.  Time to move on from this bloke. VFL Beckons.

Can't argue with that. Too soft between the lugholes. McKay / Kerr to be persevered with.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
Confidence in Levi's play and his kicking has been shot after missing games. No need now not to play McKay. We have McKay. Curnow and Kerr as key forwards, all will be good, Curnow a superstar. Levi's done an admirable job as a rookie draft pick 44 to fill the gap between losing Waite and Henderson and waiting for the young ones to develop but it's time for those young ones.

What do you think Levi might be worth on the trade table? He won't get any better for us, would he get a late second rounder?

Reply #18
What do you think Levi might be worth on the trade table? He won't get any better for us, would he get a late second rounder?

Whatever it is it'll be a fair profit from deep in the rookie draft.

What he's worth depends on how he finishes the season. 29 next year so he might be 3rd round now.

Reply #19

He's worth zero as a trade, someone might pick him up if we delisted him but it's doubtful.
He's contracted for 2019 anyway, more brilliant list management.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
I'll always cut someone slack off an injury. Hands up those who bagged Kennedy this year. Bet no-one owns up. Doesn't mean i'd play Levi if he can't get a kick. He should've come back though the NBs.

Speaking of Casboult and Kennedy, pretty sure Casboult broke a team rule today when he didn't block for Kennedy when he was coming back with the flight of the ball on the boundary. Guy with eyes on the ball should be called in by his teammate, not plowed into by a teammate and then abused by him. I know Casboult was desperate for a touch, but you don't have to clean up your teammates to get one. Thank f**k there was no injury to come out of it.

Reply #21
any update on the game and who played well? maybe start a Casboult thread

Reply #22
He's worth zero as a trade, someone might pick him up if we delisted him but it's doubtful.
He's contracted for 2019 anyway, more brilliant list management.

He's better than that. Club has always liked him and he has been handy over the years. It is time now though to move on with our young key forwards. We don't exactly lack them.

Reply #23
Speaking of Casboult and Kennedy, pretty sure Casboult broke a team rule today when he didn't block for Kennedy when he was coming back with the flight of the ball on the boundary. Guy with eyes on the ball should be called in by his teammate, not plowed into by a teammate and then abused by him. I know Casboult was desperate for a touch, but you don't have to clean up your teammates to get one. Thank f**k there was no injury to come out of it.

Won't be remembered as his best game. Possibly his worst. Might've looked "better" if he kicked straight but that was way off too compared to other efforts this year. Back to his old kicking efforts. Would've been nice to lead at 3/4 time. I'm not sure he should've come straight back in to the side, twice!

Reply #24

Kennedy should have been called out of it by another player.  The pass was intended for Casboult and he would have swallowed it if Kennedy hadn’t got in the way.  I doubt whether Casboult saw Kennedy but he would have been free-kicked if he had been able to balk and block for him.  Poor communication by our guys and a little over-ambitious on Kennedy’s part ... and very lucky for him that Casboult isn’t Fev.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Kennedy should have been called out of it by another player.  The pass was intended for Casboult and he would have swallowed it if Kennedy hadn’t got in the way.  I doubt whether Casboult saw Kennedy but he would have been free-kicked if he had been able to balk and block for him.  Poor communication by our guys and a little over-ambitious on Kennedy’s part ... and very lucky for him that Casboult isn’t Fev.

Casboult had the play in front of him. He could see it all. Either he calls Kennedy out of it, or ensure Kennedy doesn't get cleaned up.

He doesn't have to 'block' so much as basically just stop running, which is effectively all the block that is required for Kennedy to mark safely.

What kind of message does it send when you put your body on the line and get cleaned up by your own teammate? Do you think Kennedy will be as willing to go next time? Is that the kind of message we want?

Funny how you brought Fev up as he was critical of the very same thing on multiple occasions....and i would've called him out for doing the same thing.

Reply #26
Casboult had the play in front of him. He could see it all. Either he calls Kennedy out of it, or ensure Kennedy doesn't get cleaned up.

He doesn't have to 'block' so much as basically just stop running, which is effectively all the block that is required for Kennedy to mark safely.

What kind of message does it send when you put your body on the line and get cleaned up by your own teammate? Do you think Kennedy will be as willing to go next time? Is that the kind of message we want?

Funny how you brought Fev up as he was critical of the very same thing on multiple occasions....and i would've called him out for doing the same thing.

I had an excellent view of the incident and I stand by my assessment; Casboult was the intended target, he had eyes for the ball, Kennedy got in his way and spoiled a good pass.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Yep
Should have come back through the VFL.
Shouldn't have played the Freo game either
He was playing quite well earlier in the year and shouldn't be crucified for a couple of bad games coming back...but wé're now at a stage where there is competition for his spot so he has to perform or lose that position.
Back to the VFL for a spell.
Yes. We cannot afford to have a non contributor like that in a game that meant so much.
Not only that, but Casboult NEEDS to get his confidence and touch back. Even giving him some ruck duties in the VFL would be a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't be throwing him away, but yesterday we saw his limitations more than anything else. He needs to get his act together. And guys like McKay and Kerr need time in the seniors, in careful doses and not unsupported. With Curnow playing as he is, the other guys could get a ride on his coat tails.
Mind you, both Kerr and McKay need to develop their defensive games. One of the worst aspects of yesterday was the lack of pressure provided by Levi. No good at all replacing one source of lack of pressure with another. Learnt to chase, guys!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
I had an excellent view of the incident and I stand by my assessment; Casboult was the intended target, he had eyes for the ball, Kennedy got in his way and spoiled a good pass.
I agree. More talking required.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Northern Blues: 2.2-14 5.3-33 8.4-52 10.5-65
Footscray 3.3-21 7.5-47 7.6-48 10.11-71

This was a pretty good effort, considering the lack of available players. Granted that the Dogs have their injuries, but they are a top 8 team with pretentions. We came within a kick of demonstrating how ridiculous those pretentions are.

It really galls me that More Frees was the guy who kicked the winning goal. :( :(

Northern Blues
Goal Kickers: P. Kerr 2, J. Lynch, S. Fisher, J. Johnston, T. Wilson, H. McKay, J. Naylor, E. Penrith, J. Williams
Best Players: M. Lobbe, S. Fisher, E. Penrith, H. McKay, J. Lynch, C. Byrne

Footscray
Goal Kickers: F. Roberts 3, J. Roughead, R. William, J. Wallis, A. Monfries, F. Greene, E. Wales, N. Mullenger-Mchugh
Best Players: C. Porter, K. Collins, R. William, L. Dalgleish, F. Roberts

I am amazed, and really pleased, that Lobbe did so well in the ruck. He destroyed the Footscray big men, something I thought was past him. I am also very happy to see Ciaran Byrne make such an impression in the 3 quarters he was on the field.
Live Long and Prosper!