Skip to main content
Topic: RD 11 - BLUES Lose To Lions (Embarrassment & Dispair) (Read 45140 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 11 - BLUES Lose To Lions (Embarrassment & Dispair)

Reply #75
Just had a look at that "mark" of Yarran's again.
Quite apart from whether it was a mark or not....... (as Mick pointed out in the presser Brown took his legs), the action of Brown in grabbing his legs in mid-air was reckless and dangerous...and should have been at least a free kick.
Yarran could have been seriously hurt.

It was both a free kick AND a mark. He controlled the ball all the way to the ground, where the impact knocked the ball out. Same logic applied to the Robinson diving mark. Controlled it to the ground, where the impact knocked it out.

Marks every day of the year, except when there is a navy blue jumper playing brisbane on a saturday evening.

Reply #76
Just had a look at that "mark" of Yarran's again.
Quite apart from whether it was a mark or not....... (as Mick pointed out in the presser Brown took his legs), the action of Brown in grabbing his legs in mid-air was reckless and dangerous...and should have been at least a free kick.
Yarran could have been seriously hurt.

Brown is a protected species.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #77
Three goals up well into the last quarter against the bottom side, that's the reality folks.
A shocking performance.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #78
Just watching the presser, geez they let Mick off light, but I actually liked what he said, he was very frank but stopped short at pointing the finger or criticising the list. It's amazing how much easier it is to accept what he says when he delivers it in the right manner. That doesn't absolve him of the part he played in the loss but still, I was happy with the way he presented himself and I thought he at least did the club and it's supporters justice in that regard.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #79
Just watching the presser, geez they let Mick off light, but I actually liked what he said, he was very frank but stopped short at pointing the finger or criticising the list. It's amazing how much easier it is to accept what he says when he delivers it in the right manner. That doesn't absolve him of the part he played in the loss but still, I was happy with the way he presented himself and I thought he at least did the club and it's supporters justice in that regard.

Agree with your comments.

There is no doubt, in my mind, anyway, that Mick knows exactly where this team stands and the cattle he has to deal with.

He was ready to explode last night, but kept himself in check.

Mick can and does everything he can to get those players to carry out instructions.

But for reasons that I can't fathom, they are a mentally weak team who when running onto the ground to start a game, always look like they just got out of bed. Sometimes, like last night, worse than other times.

I can't work out why, or whose fault it is.

Then when they do get on the ground, you have your usual suspects who don't put in. You can start with Gibbs, and go from there.

Players who won't put their bodies on the line for there team, can't exist in todays game.
That's why we need to trade Gibbs and hopefully get some decent draft picks of boys who have shown in the under 18's that they are prepared top risk life and limb to get the ball.

Reply #80
Why isn't Graham getting a game? Why wasn't he picked against Brisbane? He racks up possession in the VFL every week. I don't understand how David Ellard and Carrots get's a game and Graham misses out. What am I not seeing??

Reply #81
Why isn't Graham getting a game? Why wasn't he picked against Brisbane? He racks up possession in the VFL every week. I don't understand how David Ellard and Carrots get's a game and Graham misses out. What am I not seeing??

Carrots is gone. At his age, you can't recover from the calf muscle injury that he's got. Ellard could never run out a full game, but he's gone for a while now too, so I'm with you. Bring in Graham.

Reply #82

Agree with your comments.

There is no doubt, in my mind, anyway, that Mick knows exactly where this team stands and the cattle he has to deal with.

He was ready to explode last night, but kept himself in check.

Mick can and does everything he can to get those players to carry out instructions.

But for reasons that I can't fathom, they are a mentally weak team who when running onto the ground to start a game, always look like they just got out of bed. Sometimes, like last night, worse than other times.

I can't work out why, or whose fault it is.

Then when they do get on the ground, you have your usual suspects who don't put in. You can start with Gibbs, and go from there.

Players who won't put their bodies on the line for there team, can't exist in todays game.
That's why we need to trade Gibbs and hopefully get some decent draft picks of boys who have shown in the under 18's that they are prepared top risk life and limb to get the ball.

And there you have it. How often do we kick ahead in a game, then inexplicably relax and let the other mob back in? Gee, that really is a major issue with our blokes and has been for a long, long time.

I recall asking this questions a number of times over about the last 5+ years... when have we beaten a very good side in very good form?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #83
I recall asking this questions a number of times over about the last 5+ years... when have we beaten a very good side in very good form?

That's an easy question to answer, if you accept the fact that we are a mediocre side.
Carlton supporters are no different to any other supporters in that they tend to over rate their own team and players.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #84
I didn't watch the game (and probably won't bother with the replay) so I am relying on the ABC commentators' assessments.

Two factors stood out for me in their comments.  The first is that our slow and predictable ball movement made it easier for the inexperienced Brisbane players to intercept and/or force stoppages.  In contrast, Brisbane used the corridor and, because of lack of midfield pressure, created more opportunities for their forwards.  The second factor is Brisbane's ability to run over us at the end of quarters or perhaps that should be our inability to run the game out until the siren goes?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
The Lions made 6 changes, and against all AFL trends still beat us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
crap I "hate" my team. If they weren't such lazy b@stards with a poor work ethic they could've beaten Meblourne and Brisbane and been 6-4 with a game against a struggling Geelong to come.

But no, not Carlton. Too much like hard work. 

Reply #87
Lost count of the amount of types the commentators said 'The Blues are out here if they can get the ball to (insert players name)' or 'The Blues should score here if they can get the ball over the top to (players name)'
We butchered the pass every single time!!!

Reply #88
crap I "hate" my team. If they weren't such lazy b@stards with a poor work ethic they could've beaten Meblourne and Brisbane and been 6-4 with a game against a struggling Geelong to come.

7-3 if we beat Richmond, which to me says we are not as bad as everyone thinks. Let's not forget we had Port on the ropes for three quarters.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #89
Crap, I "hate" my team. If they weren't such lazy b@stards with a poor work ethic they could've beaten Melbourne and Brisbane and been 6-4 with a game against a struggling Geelong to come.

7-3 if we beat Richmond, which to me says we are not as bad as everyone thinks. Let's not forget we had Port on the ropes for three quarters.

Never have been. How many brilliant bursts of footy have we produced when we've come back from goals down. Think last round and EF last year when we were down and out. Don't lack ability, we lack, commitment, culture, work ethic and any form  of proper attitude. I think that frustrates more than simply lacking the ability.

Never safe when 5 goals up, never out of it when 5 goals down.