Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock) (Read 52476 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock)

Reply #90
Makes no difference, if you're not coaching for quick results you're not playing Carrazzo, Mclean and White. IMO.

Agree with you with McLean and Carrazzo but White still has plenty to offer, he has something our backs don't have and that is real mongrel. I think he'd start a fight in an empty room if asked. He kept Black quite he gave some extra presence around the ball and while he didn't star, he didn't hurt either.

If you took White out who would you replace him with that's available right now?

Reply #91
Makes no difference, if you're not coaching for quick results you're not playing Carrazzo, Mclean and White. IMO.

I just don't buy that PI2C, I think it's part of your anti Malthouse agenda but maybe I'm mistaken.
I'm happy with White, he's no gun but he's improved steadily and holds his spot on his merits, if someone like Watson was knocking the door down he might be in trouble but the last senior game that Watson played was that bad I was embarrassed for him.
Carrazzo is a quality player whose days are probably numbered, but when he's fit he's an automatic selection.
Brock McLean is an honest footballer who works his arse off in a game, he's only just turned 28.
Malthouse needed to strike a balance between blooding talented kids, improving the culture of the place and staying competitive, because nothing destroys a team like floggings.
We haven't won as many games as any of us would like but the floggings haven't featured, even our heavy loss to Sydney was only one very poor quarter.
Business as usual and a few tweaks here and there were never going to deliver after 10 years of failure, and it will take more than two seasons to turn the ship around.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #92
Watson, but I don't rate White at all, I can see where others are coming from but he lures you into a false sense of security, only to stuff up at the most crucial moment.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #93
I don't rate Watson at all, he's slow, lacks anticipation and awareness and panics under pressure, Graham will get his chances but might struggle for a game as Bell, Buckley and Cripps come through.
He looked OK last night though, he seems to have a natural feel for the game.
McLean, White and Carrazzo have all earned their spots.

I agree totally.  The only thing going for him is that he is 'generally' a good kick, but he often mucks it up under pressure.  Absolutely NO AWARENESS of what is happening around him.

Reply #94
I just don't buy that PI2C, I think it's part of your anti Malthouse agenda but maybe I'm mistaken.

It's all too eay to say that. Cop out.

Carrazzo is a quality player whose days are probably numbered, but when he's fit he's an automatic selection.

And Waite isn't??

Brock McLean is an honest footballer who works his arse off in a game, he's only just turned 28.

Regardless, he is not the future and if you were coaching for the future you would not be playing him.

Malthouse needed to strike a balance between blooding talented kids, improving the culture of the place and staying competitive, because nothing destroys a team like floggings.
We haven't won as many games as any of us would like but the floggings haven't featured, even our heavy loss to Sydney was only one very poor quarter.

Our two heavy losses this year are worse than any loss under the previous regime. We have been uncompetitive on many occasions even with those senior players. Losing games to bottom four sides is not being competitive. I could accpet this had he stripped the team bare and gone with the youth.

Business as usual and a few tweaks here and there were never going to deliver after 10 years of failure, and it will take more than two seasons to turn the ship around.

And by not playing the youth, he has not even spun the wheel.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95
That felt good, North would have to be my second most hated team now behind Essendon. Thomas, Harvey, Black, Firrito and Thompson are all gits, snipers and divers. So glad only one had a decent game.

Curnow - People highlight what he can't do but let's look at what he did do and that's shut Harvey out of the game after quarter time, there was no major runs and while Harvey still did some nice things he wasn't dominant. I'm surprises Harvey didn't make a federal case out of Curnow beating him like he does with most taggers.

Henderson - Looked more mobile and protected the ball drop better for easy marks, still has gentle hands but was his best game up forward for the club, has played better down back.

Rowe - OK I was wrong, he might be a decent player, he punches better than any other defender, he just has to make sure it goes to the boundary, not up in the air. He will mark if in front which is good and his disposal has got better. Can't build a backline around him but will be a good 2nd ruck minder, hopefully Giles can come on as a tall defender who offers a bit of run as neither Jammo or Rowe will be that player.

Yarran - When Yazz has it I feel relaxed. That play where he marked on the outer wing cut inside and delivered the ball on the chest on Hendo I think was a moment when alone with a box of tissues may have been appreciated more.  :o

Simmo - Back to a bit of form after a poor last month. Attacked well off half back ran to the right areas to receive and got some great help from Graham when he ran himself into trouble.

Wood - Beaten in the ruck with Goldstein getting a lot of taps to where he wanted them but still beat him up physically knocking him around at most contests, then MARKING THE BALL around the ground and sneaking forward to take marks. That's the minimum a ruckman must do.

Waite - Rightly received a kick up the arse by being dropped to the twos and responded well by playing his best game in two seasons. Just showed when we have a forward line set up such as we had last night we can kick a competitive score.

Gibbs - Started poorly but then came on. People complain about MM not bringing on players, what about how he's seen that Gibbs is most valuable around the ball and left him there?

Murphy - Growing each week into his captains roll. Not a great game but teamed well with all around and his kicking into the forward 50 was mouth watering. Some little spears or floaters and then a long bomb to advantage.

Robbo - If he gets put out for the bump then I hope the CFC fight tooth and nail to clear him. Even Adams when he was going off the ground slapped his shoulder indicating where he was hit. Mathews said on the broadcast that it didn't look high, until Tom Harley the Carlton hater tried to convince everybody that he hit his head. The reason the head went back was the hit was so perfect that his whole body took the shock and the head will always move you tool Harley.

MM out-coached Scott by a mile last night. Our hands were quick and clean last night and baffled the dimwitted North midfield and didn't allow their divers to have time with the ball.

Umpiring was spot on last night, sure there were a couple of bad calls but that went both ways and you could see why they payed them. When Yarran was called for dropping the ball in the first quarter I said fair enough I just want to see that paid all night long and it pretty much was. They were quick to throw the ball up paid high contact and didn't get sucked in to Thomas diving when he felt contact.

Reply #96
Yarran - When Yazz has it I feel relaxed. That play where he marked on the outer wing cut inside and delivered the ball on the chest on Hendo I think was a moment when alone with a box of tissues may have been appreciated more.  :o

Reply #97
Down bac k Rowe was a star. Beat Petrie handds down. Having a breakout year and doing an honest job for us. is physical and defends hard and well.

Wood is that much better than Warnock it is not funny.

Henderson, Waite and casboult up forward is a hard matchup.

Hopefully Menzel is ok.

Everitt and Docherty, the two newbies, off the HBF's works well and helps release Yarran and Simpson. They are far more effectoive IMO than Walker there.

Gibbs, Murphy and Judd great. Curnow did a good job too.

We still need more polish, turnover merchants like Robinson and Curnow acnnot be relied upon often enough to make the right decisions and/or hit targets.

Reply #98
And by not playing the youth, he has not even spun the wheel.

He has played the youth, just not the youth you think he should have played.
I'll trust his judgement.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #100
Everitt and Docherty, the two newbies, off the HBF's works well and helps release Yarran and Simpson. They are far more effectoive IMO than Walker there.

I reckon we were that much better without Walker back in defence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #101

I reckon we were that much better without Walker back in defence.

I reckon you're right.

A baker would be happy to produce as many turnovers as Walker this season.

Reply #102
Down bac k Rowe was a star. Beat Petrie handds down. Having a breakout year and doing an honest job for us. is physical and defends hard and well.

Wood is that much better than Warnock it is not funny.

Henderson, Waite and casboult up forward is a hard matchup.

Hopefully Menzel is ok.

Gibbs, Murphy and Judd great. Curnow did a good job too.

We still need more polish, turnover merchants like Robinson and Curnow acnnot be relied upon often enough to make the right decisions and/or hit targets.

Agree with all that Pratty.

I couldn't help but look at Wood last night and think how dumb our recruiting has been, here is a VFL ruckman who comes in and actually does something around the ground. Even chased Harvey down at one stage I think.

Rowe is improving every week and good on him. He is actually starting to play more like a natural defender by the week and is intercept marking which is great.

Forward set up was good, still prefer seeing Walker up there as well next year alongside Menzel.

Reply #103
A great performance.

The 22 out there played as a whole and stuck to the task at hand for a full four quarters. Great to see.
Wood has the wood on the spud 206.
A team with Bell and Robbo in it, tackles and pressures all that much harder.

Not sad to say, we didn't miss Walker, Carrots or McLean at all !! 
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #104
The boys would have to wait until I'm overseas to play to their potential.

Last time I was overseas during footy season we played Richmond in the 1982 Grand Final  :)  If you folk want to take up a collection I will happily stay here for a while longer  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball