Skip to main content
Topic: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match (Read 49257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match

Reply #90
What's clear to me though, is that its obvious that Jones and Tutt were both MM inspired mistakes, and BB is looking like another Lucas/Watson/Bootsma howler type pick at this stage

So he gets the credit for Docherty, Cripps and Holman?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91
Well Sydney must be in a fair bit of trouble as well I guess. Geez would hate to be them.....

What Sydney do and where they stand is pretty much irrelevant to me atm, I'm interested in and focused on where we stand. We were measured last night against the league's benchmark team (IMO) and came up woefully short, demonstrating quite clearly that we have a long long way to go.  Feel free to spin that fact how you like Carrots.

There is an opportunity to test ourselves again in 6 weeks time, so let's see if that was just a one-off eh? I sincerely hope it was BUT..............
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92
I saw no where near enough pride in the jumper from the players last night.

And no where near enough tactical nous, innovation, or inspiration/motivation from the coach either.

Very poor effort by everyone IMO
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #93
What Sydney do and where they stand is pretty much irrelevant to me atm, I'm interested in and focused on where we stand. We were measured last night against the league's benchmark team (IMO) and came up woefully short, demonstrating quite clearly that we have a long long way to go.  Feel free to spin that fact how you like Carrots.

There is an opportunity to test ourselves again in 6 weeks time, so let's see if that was just a one-off eh? I sincerely hope it was BUT..............

If we have the same injuries and a backwards gameplan it will be the same result.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #94
I put a decent portion of blame right on Barkers shoulders. For the second week running he has stated on many occasions that it will be a great learning experience for our team, translation I don't think we have a chance.

If the coach is talking down your chances then your confidence is already gone before you run out.

Umpiring decisions were just terrible in fact just wrong, I actually stopped watching after the Buckley free against and 50, the replay clearly shows Dylan grabbing his jumper by around the numbers and Puopolo ducking to get out of the tackle. It should have been A free the other way for not disposing of the ball and trying to take the tackler on. What about the no call when Rioli grabbed Simpson around over the shoulder and when that wasn't called nearly ripped his head off. Murphy getting hit in the head and sent off bleeding by high contact when both players were going for a mark and not getting anything yet just minutes before hand the same happened but the free was given to Hawthorn.

Between the drugs in football, the same teams being propped up by the AFL, free agency keeping the good teams still good, the umpiring and the sh1t place Carlton is in at the moment, for the first time in my adult life I can say I have little interest in football.

Reply #95
Don't think in my 55 yrs as a Blues supporter have I ever seen a display like that. Agree Hawks are the benchmark and will win the flag again, but we seem to be at least 3-5 years away from even being competitive with the top teams.

When you look though our team last night, apart from the skipper and the next skipper (cripps), Kruez the doc and  simmo; we a very skinny on talent, strength, motivation and endevour.

Doesn't help when you have 1500 games less experience than the opposition. I try and look for some positives and I'll be honest there isn't a lot. F**ck knows what would of happened if MM was still in charge.

I look at our list and think who would get a game with the big boys and I'm struggling.

My 5 cents re trade/recruiting -

Trade - Hendo/Yarran while they have some currency. I don't think we have anyone else who we would get a deal for apart from some steak-knifes.

Draft - Must be smart and I think we will be.

I STILL CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW WE COULD OF FLUCKED UP SO MANY DRAFTS AND TRADES OVER THE LAST 10 TEARS. PAY PEANUTS YOU GET MONKEYS AND BOY DO WE HAVE A ZOO AT CARLTON

Keep the Faith....

Reply #96
One of the problems I have is I don't see us trying a lot tactically.
Maybe that's because I'm only getting the television view.

Yes, we're playing kids, and it's good to get games into them, but we don't seem to be experimenting with the side once they're out there.
If we're going to get beaten by 100 points lets shake it up a bit....try the players in different roles.

Reply #97
You don't trade Yarran, you play him as a small forward the rest of the season and hopefully he can race back to goal and get us a couple of cheapies. Increase his value cause next season he will be a free agent and we want as much as we can in compensation coming back.

Reply #98
I put a decent portion of blame right on Barkers shoulders. For the second week running he has stated on many occasions that it will be a great learning experience for our team, translation I don't think we have a chance.

I don't know what a 140 point beating teaches anyone to be honest.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #99
It wasn't all doom and gloom, the bay I sit in won chooklotto! :)
On a more serious note, there are seven players out because of injury, Walker, Menzel, Gibbs, Armfield, Graham, Thomas & Carrazo. Wouldn't win the game with them but would have made us more competitive.
On top of that over the past four weeks we have had two six day breaks, a trip to WA and then another six day break. Once again it would not have changed the result but once again would make us more competitive.
On top of this we could consider the players we should have had available if they hadn't left or been traded, Waite, Gartlett, Betts, Jacobs, Robinson Hampson & Maclean. I think if we are start putting all this together, I believe we would make serious inroads into the gap between Hawthorn and us.
We have consistently wasted our draft picks, we have mismanaged our playing list and we have failed to develop our players skills, leadership and there commitment to put the team first.
I believe we currently have a club that has four different factions vying for Board control which is impacting adversely on the football department as a whole as well as the individual coaches and fitness staff through the lack of development and security for them, and which is infiltrating into the psychology, beliefs and attitudes of the players.
We need people who will unite the Club's administration and provide certainty for the football department so that the players can gain some certainty around there careers.

Reply #100
Don't think in my 55 yrs as a Blues supporter have I ever seen a display like that. Agree Hawks are the benchmark and will win the flag again, but we seem to be at least 3-5 years away from even being competitive with the top teams.

When you look though our team last night, apart from the skipper and the next skipper (cripps), Kruez the doc and  simmo; we a very skinny on talent, strength, motivation and endevour.

Doesn't help when you have 1500 games less experience than the opposition. I try and look for some positives and I'll be honest there isn't a lot. F**ck knows what would of happened if MM was still in charge.

I look at our list and think who would get a game with the big boys and I'm struggling.

My 5 cents re trade/recruiting -

Trade - Hendo/Yarran while they have some currency. I don't think we have anyone else who we would get a deal for apart from some steak-knifes.

Draft - Must be smart and I think we will be.

I STILL CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW WE COULD OF FLUCKED UP SO MANY DRAFTS AND TRADES OVER THE LAST 10 TEARS. PAY PEANUTS YOU GET MONKEYS AND BOY DO WE HAVE A ZOO AT CARLTON

Keep the Faith....
Amen Big Ken

Reply #101
Between the drugs in football, the same teams being propped up by the AFL, free agency keeping the good teams still good, the umpiring and the sh1t place Carlton is in at the moment, for the first time in my adult life I can say I have little interest in football.

+ 1 Raydon

Reply #102

I just think the first half game plan was ridiculous. Played right into their hands.

Umpiring decisions were just terrible in fact just wrong, I actually stopped watching after the Buckley free against and 50, the replay clearly shows Dylan grabbing his jumper by around the numbers and Puopolo ducking to get out of the tackle. It should have been A free the other way for not disposing of the ball and trying to take the tackler on. What about the no call when Rioli grabbed Simpson around over the shoulder and when that wasn't called nearly ripped his head off. Murphy getting hit in the head and sent off bleeding by high contact when both players were going for a mark and not getting anything yet just minutes before hand the same happened but the free was given to Hawthorn.

And what about Simmo's perfect tackle in Q1 which was paid 'in the back'?!?  :o You could almost hear the hiss as that decision deflated our tyres when, in fact, it should have fired us up by showing the younger players that you will reap the benefits from playing tough and close.

Yep, nice to see the draft has levelled the playing field. Hawthorn are now a monty for 3 in a row. For 15 years now it's either been Geelong, Hawthorn, or an interstate club. Great.

99,000 at the 'G to see the soccer.  My St Kilda mate texted me this morning asking if I wanted to take up a Saints membership.  I gotta admit they're playing exciting footy - and showing some ticker.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #103
Fortunately didn't go the match.

Unfortunately watched it on TV and suffered through McAvaney's commentary - not sure which was more painful. If only someone would introduce him to the Richie Benaud commentary theme.

Reply #104
Fortunately didn't go the match.

Unfortunately watched it on TV and suffered through McAvaney's commentary - not sure which was more painful. If only someone would introduce him to the Richie Benaud commentary theme.

:))
Bwecie has never heard of the "golden silence" for sure. Being at the game was really bad but at least we didn't get the BM commentary!
Reality always wins in the end.