Skip to main content
Topic: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match (Read 49256 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match

Reply #105
:))
Bwecie has never heard of the "golden silence" for sure. Being at the game was really bad but at least we didn't get the BM commentary!

Despite his stalker-like, bromantic obsession with "Delicious", I'd much rather listen to him than Taylor and Darcy.

Reply #106
Despite his stalker-like, bromantic obsession with "Delicious", I'd much rather listen to him than Taylor and Darcy.

That's like being asked if you prefer a punch in the head or a boot up the ass Paul.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #107
That's like being asked if you prefer a punch in the head or a boot up the ass Paul.  :)

I know what you mean cookie. Slim pickings all round on the commentary front.

Reply #108
This result is not nearly as simple or bad as it seems, IMHO.

Singling out JB is pointless. You grab any positive you can, we've got an average list with important talent missing. I wholeheartedly agree with JBs summation re 'education'. He's right.

What we witnessed on Friday night were all the cracks in recruiting and development violently exposed. No papering. And a Premiership club in scintillating form. Remember they towelled up the Fluffy Ducks and Dickers, also.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #109
Check David Rhys-Jones' facial expression on our website. I don't think he is happy. If looks can kill.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #110
Check David Rhys-Jones' facial expression on our website. I don't think he is happy. If looks can kill.

Yep, he wasn't pulling any punches - basically saying to players "shape up or ship out!"
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #111
We went into this game crapting ourselves on what they would do to us and played conservative "minimise the damage" football (kick backwards, hold onto the ball etc). That coupled with the the CLEAR one rule for Hawthorn one rule for everyone else umpiring manifested into a 130+ defeat rather then the 100+ it should have been.
We are shizen of that there is no doubt but I'm just over the continual reiterations of what our problems are and have been. Carlton in crisis, yet again. No crap Sherlock. Just want someone at Carlton to come through with some positive change rather than repetitive platitudes.

Reply #112
I remember watching a game a few years ago where we had McLean, Cachia and Curnow lining up in the middle with either Warnock or Casboult. I thought this is the worst bundle of players to ever set up for a centre bounce for Carlton.

I watched a bit of an outstanding forwardline (two of which should be playing for us) take Sydney apart tonight. Is this the worst forward line we have seen take the field for Carlton?

Tutt, Jones, Bell
Casboult, Henderson, Everitt

Average goals between them: 4.7  :-[

Reply #113
Yep, he wasn't pulling any punches - basically saying to players "shape up or ship out!"

Reckon if Rhys was coaching it may have got ugly in the dressing room and a few players might have got told some home truths about attack on the footy and supporting your teammates.

Reply #114
Agree.....since Wood has been out we have dropped away badly, with Wood doing the hack work then Kruezer can be used in other more attacking roles.
I also think Wood has a bit more agro to his game and having another big body out there would help our younger slightly built players..

Agree as well - our best form this year (i.e. the Adel game through to the Bulldogs game) was with Kreuzer & Wood rucking in tandem. It meant Casboult (who has no tank whatsoever) could anchor himself in the forward line as our key forward, with Hendo & Everitt by his side. I thought it was more than clear that ruck pairing was working an absolute treat & I was mystified at Wood's omission.......and still am. Barker's fault.

Yarran is a complete & utter liability in defence right now.....blind Freddy can see that - here's an idea (which a lot of us have pitched over the past 2 weeks in particular), how 'bout moving him up the ground onto a wing or better yet, a forward flank or pocket. Armfield had been flying as a small forward & is out for a month, so what better opportunity than now to swing Yarran into that role? But no - we get yet another week of watching Yarran attempt to play a role he simply cannot & will not do at the moment for whatever personal (or other) mystery reasons people keep banging on about without actually saying anything & his opponent(s) have a scoring feast. Barker's fault.

I thought we'd turned the corner with that bullshyte backwards football and decided that forwards was the direction to go - with results to prove it......well done Johnny - big tick for you, but 3 weeks later here we are again kicking the friggin' thing backwards ad nauseum, all the while our opposition simply let it happen 'cos they know we're gonna cough it up.....and we do, over & over & over again.....Barker's fault.

Give me one good reason why any of us should bother turning up next week?

Feck this Club craps me at times......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #115
Agree as well - our best form this year (i.e. the Adel game through to the Bulldogs game) was with Kreuzer & Wood rucking in tandem. It meant Casboult (who has no tank whatsoever) could anchor himself in the forward line as our key forward, with Hendo & Everitt by his side. I thought it was more than clear that ruck pairing was working an absolute treat & I was mystified at Wood's omission.......and still am. Barker's fault.

Yarran is a complete & utter liability in defence right now.....blind Freddy can see that - here's an idea (which a lot of us have pitched over the past 2 weeks in particular), how 'bout moving him up the ground onto a wing or better yet, a forward flank or pocket. Armfield had been flying as a small forward & is out for a month, so what better opportunity than now to swing Yarran into that role? But no - we get yet another week of watching Yarran attempt to play a role he simply cannot & will not do at the moment for whatever personal (or other) mystery reasons people keep banging on about without actually saying anything & his opponent(s) have a scoring feast. Barker's fault.

I thought we'd turned the corner with that bullshyte backwards football and decided that forwards was the direction to go - with results to prove it......well done Johnny - big tick for you, but 3 weeks later here we are again kicking the friggin' thing backwards ad nauseum, all the while our opposition simply let it happen 'cos they know we're gonna cough it up.....and we do, over & over & over again.....Barker's fault.

Give me one good reason why any of us should bother turning up next week?

Feck this Club craps me at times......

Agree also, it is deeply frustrating.  Our terrible skills and a lack of confidence goes some way toward explaining the lack of attack. Hawthorn set up so well and are very disciplined so it is either sideways or a 50 metre bomb over the top which is odds on to be cut off.

The only thing more dispiriting to watching it would be playing like that. Wood's absence did mean Casboult had to spend time in the ruck, and he did take a few marks in the third quarter when deeper forward. But while a marginal difference may have been made it would have meant one less running player, which is probably the only way to beat hawthorn at the moment as they are not a fast running side, more just very fast ball use. In any case, Casboult managed to take a fine mark and then punt it out on the full. If wood played casboult may have managed to chalk up a couple more like that. His kicking is a disgrace.

At least this may have ended any new coach rebound effect so barker can be assessed (in his interviews etc.) on the basis of what he can offer from 2016 and onwards. I doubt he is the man but it is a level playing field now.

Reply #116
Reckon if Rhys was coaching it may have got ugly in the dressing room and a few players might have got told some home truths about attack on the footy and supporting your teammates.

Why doesn't this happen anyway EB?
FMD they are all men aren't they, big boys who can handle the heat.
...Or maybe they have told they are crape to ad nauseum and we are just wasting our time  ???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #117
His kicking is a disgrace.

His kicking has been pretty good, if you bother to look at the stats and not just follow in mindless media.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #118
Why doesn't this happen anyway EB?
FMD they are all men aren't they, big boys who can handle the heat.
...Or maybe they have told they are crape to ad nauseum and we are just wasting our time  ???

Normally when someone tells you you're crap the reaction is to to tell them to stick it up their jumper and prove them wrong.

Our delicate violets are demoralised and can't compete.

Pretty poor.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #119
Normally when someone tells you you're crap the reaction is to to tell them to stick it up their jumper and prove them wrong.

Our delicate violets are demoralised and can't compete.

Pretty poor.

What you describe is one reaction.
Personally I'd never hang around in a situation where someone didn't value my efforts.

I'd do the 'stick it up your jumper bit', but as far as proving them wrong....I'd do that in another position, preferably one in direct opposition to my former employer.
I suspect there might be one or two of our group who've already moved on, mentally, if not physically.