Skip to main content

Poll

Do you think Crippa will win the rising star?  Take emotion out of it when choosing :)

Yes he will
[ 27 ] (49.1%)
No he won't
[ 28 ] (50.9%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: September 11, 2015, 12:30:32 pm

Topic: Will Crippa win the rising star? (Read 49443 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Will Crippa win the rising star?

Reply #120
How idealistic are 27 of the voters on this forum?

Unfortunately, all of us who know better voted no, and were proven correct.

I was actually hoping we would all be wrong and for the faith in humanity to be restored, but this award has left me dead cold.

I voted no because I had heard who was judging, I know they wouldn't vote for a Carlton man even if the only viable alternative was 1/100th as good. In this case it was a race that was 50/50 or 60/40, there was no hope for Cripps, none at all.

But you know, if there was no betting on it I'd accept it as a bit of fun and nothing more serious. But money rides on this, sponsors pay thousands of dollars for naming rights, punters lose big time and the AFL takes a cut!

People should not gloss over the glaring disparity! It's like if Abbott called an election and got 90% of the vote!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
That is correct correct.

I think I read that the same same ten judges vote 5,4,3,2,1 each week for each rounds nomination, the highest ranked qualified player who is not yet already nominated gets a nod. So they end up with no duplicates.

Then they vote again 5,4,3,2,1 after the last round to decide the winner from all the nominations.

Cheers for the confirmation LP.

Looking at the list of previous winners, Wayne Carey played the sympathy card that KPP or KPF rarely win these awards as a reason why Hogan should get the nod.

But looking at the list of winners, in the last 22 years, 2 KPD's (Rivers & Talia) have won the award and Hogan is the 4th KPF (along with Kosi, Riewoldt and Nick Holland) to have won the award and that doesn't include Goodes, who is also a previous winner.

Now in a team of 22, you will normally find 1 ruck, 2 KPD's, 2 KPF's and the rest (17) are smalls. Give or take.
So you could argue that over a 22 year period, awards such as Brownlow's and Rising Stars positionally would come out with similar numbers, true?

Well in the Rising Star award, 4 KPF winners (5 if you include Goodes) in a list of 22 means they are actually over represented.

That's my blow torch on Wayne Carey.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #124
Guys.  Ease up. It's no big deal.  

More of a popularity contest than anything. Both would have been worthy winners.

Agree. Kinda glad he didn't win.  Mind you, the kid seems to thrive on pressure.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #125
According to SEN the tops votes were given to Cripps by Kevin "Shifter" Sheehan.

I hope KB has publicly claimed he gave 5 to Cripps, because if Sheehan also gave Cripps 5? ??? :o
Unless some wank only gave him 3 votes.

Reply #126
Judd was RUNNER UP?!?  :o

To Riewoldt, both pretty decent footballers.
Actually I've just looked through the list of winners, it's an impressive list.
Pearce the only Rookie to win it, Byron Pickett the lowest draft pick at 67, 10 of 23 were top 10 picks but 6 were from outside the top 25.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #127
Take some solace in the fact that the best judge of young talent gave Cripps 5 votes. Shifter Sheahan.

In order for Cripps to get 41 votes, he had to get 9 4s and 1 5. It's the only way its possible given that Hogan had 49, 9 5's and 1 5.

KB is full of crape

Reply #128
Pearce the only Rookie to win it, Byron Pickett the lowest draft pick at 67, 10 of 23 were top 10 picks but 6 were from outside the top 25.

Lets throw our top 10 picks out forl multiple later picks again.

Reply #130
Take some solace in the fact that the best judge of young talent gave Cripps 5 votes. Shifter Sheahan.

In order for Cripps to get 41 votes, he had to get 9 4s and 1 5. It's the only way its possible given that Hogan had 49, 9 5's and 1 5.

KB is full of crape

Two 5's, seven 4's and a 3? That's possible with that panel.

Reply #131
Two 5's, seven 4's and a 3? That's possible with that panel.

That works, but how did Hogan get 49 votes from 10 people if Cripps got 2 5's? He can't, so Cripps couldn't have gotten 2 5's.

It's a mathematical logic problem. ;)

Reply #132
That works, but how did Hogan get 49 votes from 10 people if Cripps got 2 5's? He can't, so Cripps couldn't have gotten 2 5's.

It's a mathematical logic problem. ;)

Good point!!!

Reply #133
Hogan received 9 lots of 5 votes and 1 lot of 4.   Total = 49 votes.
Cripps received 9 lots of 4 votes and 1 lot of 5.   Total = 41 votes.

I heard on the radio today the next 2 players received 27 and 12 points with Brayshaw in 5th place with 5 points.

I still think Cripps performed in far more games than Hogan did. He also beat opponents far more experienced than him, and had more influence on the game far more often. Even when he was tagged.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #134
Looking at the highlights package Murph is sure going to enjoy being first receiver for the rest of his career.

Still can't believe 9 out of 10 "judges" put Hogan ahead but them's the breaks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?