Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Frankston (Read 18128 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Frankston

Reply #105
Jones is a very strong mark and times his run well on most occasions.  At the moment it is all about ‘see ball, punch ball’ which can create opportunities for the opposition. If you mark thecball, when appropriate, you have full control.
TC I must say, he appeared to mark more than usual last night.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #106
Jones is a very strong mark and times his run well on most occasions.  At the moment it is all about ‘see ball, punch ball’ which can create opportunities for the opposition. If you mark thecball, when appropriate, you have full control.

But is Jones playing to instructions? He is a good mark when he wants to be.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #107

Jones is not an overhead mark, he wants to continually take chest marks, if the opportunity doesn't arise he punches even when he is mostly unopposed in the air. This means we do not get control of the ball, put Weitering in that same role and he'll mark the ball and then hit a target by foot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
I've been thinking about this a little and the decision between Jones and weitering can be highlighted thus:

Weitering is a smarter defender than Jones.   He uses it better, will sum up options better and will run faster than he does today and is a future player who can play right now.  He won't get rag dolled for too much longer,  and will probably rely on his smarts and strength rather than athleticism.

Jones best is the best in the league BUT it comes with the caveat that he relies so heavily on his closing speed and ability to leave a man and go help someone else.  He's capable of winning and losing a match all in the same quarter. 

If you want a reliable ten year defender weitering plays.  If you want a highlight reel it's Jones.  The other alternative is teach them to play together.   They've shared a defense for what 8 matches?   Sometimes these things take time. 

Marchbank is a different type IMHO.  He's athletic but he's no key position player.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
I've been thinking about this a little and the decision between Jones and weitering can be highlighted thus:

Weitering is a smarter defender than Jones.   He uses it better, will sum up options better and will run faster than he does today and is a future player who can play right now.  He won't get rag dolled for too much longer,  and will probably rely on his smarts and strength rather than athleticism.

Jones best is the best in the league BUT it comes with the caveat that he relies so heavily on his closing speed and ability to leave a man and go help someone else.  He's capable of winning and losing a match all in the same quarter. 

If you want a reliable ten year defender weitering plays.  If you want a highlight reel it's Jones.  The other alternative is teach them to play together.   They've shared a defense for what 8 matches?   Sometimes these things take time. 

Marchbank is a different type IMHO.  He's athletic but he's no key position player.

I wonder if the MC will be tempted in Casboult's pending absence to bring Weitering into defence and try Jones up forward again! Would not surprise me at all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
I wonder if the MC will be tempted in Casboult's pending absence to bring Weitering into defence and try Jones up forward again! Would not surprise me at all!

I did think of that, but Jones just isn't a smart footballer and doesn't make good decisions.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #111
I did think of that, but Jones just isn't a smart footballer and doesn't make good decisions.

True, but he'll more than compete in the ruck, and has great 2nd efforts as long as he doesn't try to do too much!

People forget Leuenberger will be back next week after suspension, CheatsFC will play Bellchambers, Leuenberger, Daniher, Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose, Goddard, Stringer all together, they will almost be bigger than Adelaide.

We played SoJ for bits in the VFL midfield yesterday, he'll be able to do OK inside, he may even have blokes like Kennedy covered if Kennedy fails to find a yard. But they'll both be support acts for Cripps, we need to find a peer for Cripps who is a genuine a chop-out not more support acts. Even a smaller type of a Carrazzo type standard, Polson, Lang, SPS, Kennedy, at the moment are not the answer. Long term Charlie looks like he could be but do you waste him there?

If Phillips or Lobbe can lift their ruck work, Kreuzer is more than capable, but it's another case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
Frankston           4.4-28   5.6-36   8.8-56   8.8-56
Northern Blues   1.0-6   6.4-40   8.5-53   14.11-95

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: P. Kerr 3, J. Velissaris 2, T. De Koning 2, M. Lobbe 2, J. Palmer 2, A. Schumacher, J. Hill, S. Fisher
Best Players: J. Weitering, C. Polson, A. Schumacher, J. Silvagni, P. Kerr, D. Lang

FRANKSTON
Goal Kickers: C. Rich 2, L. Pierce, S. Williams, T. Grace, B. Mullane, L. Williams, A. Jarnestrom
Best Players: S. Masterson, L. Pierce, B. Hillard, B. Mullane, J. Batchelor, A. Jarnestrom

33.   Darcy Lang:   Looked a long way from being ready to play. He didn’t spend a lot of time in the middle, playing mainly on a wing. He was serviceable, but he is weeks away from being AFL ready. He didn’t show a huge amount of speed or acceleration, but his kicking was OK.

30.   Paddy Kerr:   In the first half he was having an ordinary game and was not able to get anywhere near it. He wasn’t leading much and the kicks were going nowhere near him unless they were in a pack.
After that he showed quite a bit, especially a few brains and strength. His kicking was good. Once he got his confidence up he was a very difficult match-up. I have been a bit disappointed with his pace all year: he seems to have lost a little as he has bulked up.

26.   Jack Silvagni:   I liked Jack’s game because he wasn’t on the receiving end: he went and got his own ball. In the tight confines of the middle he managed to get his hand in, or his body in and do a lot of good. He also managed to get possessions where he would not as a forward, and his decision making was excellent.
But I do wonder what has happened to his kicking for goal: it was so good when he started, but now he can’t hit the side of a barn.
I reckon the midfield suits Jack in a lot of ways, even though Frankston tried to rough him up. But he must really work on his fitness and pace. Pace especially, even if it is only a 5 m sprint.
I wouldn’t promote him yet> I’d let him have more games as a mid in the VFL.

49.   Angus Schumacher:   The lad showed more than a little, but he needs to work on his body and fitness big time. I noted that he was the kick of choice from Full Back. His hands were good and he has a future.

2.   Cam Polson:   In a lot of ways this was the best game I have seen from Polson. When he was getting a lot of ball last year he was a very outside player and dropped off the scene when the pressure was exerted. Not this year. He still needs some work, but his inside play was much improved. He didn’t break away as much as I would like, but he showed enough to work with.

18.   Jacob Weitering:   The best game that Jacob has played in quite a while. He was the general in defence and he really led it. He was very vocal and showed great on field leadership.
However, I would not rush him back into the seniors unless there was an injury. Why? Frankston played him very poorly and allowed him to remain loose. He was allowed to play the sort of game he played as a kid. Had they matched him up, it may have been a different tale.
In the first half he got a lot of the ball, but of the 10 marks he took in the first half, all but one (the last) was a 2 o 3 or 4 grab mark. He couldn’t take a one grabber when matched up on Ferreira, who is much smaller.
After half time all of his marks were 1 grab, a great improvement. His kicking was excellent, but he generally went back for his kicks and did not move the ball on quickly at all. Not even once.
He is still very slow. He really needs to work on that.
I wouldn’t promote him until he takes an opponent apart. He has not been able to play loose once in the seniors, not the way we are playing. He needs to get confidence actually beating someone.

36.   Matthew Lobbe:   It was good to see Lobbe out there. His experience and calmness was excellent and he kicked 2 goals from strong marks.
Note seniors: he was one out, not in a huge pack!
Is ruck work started ordinarily, he struggled against Pierce’s strength, extra height and athleticism. However, as the game went on he got to breaking even in the ruck and stopped Frankston getting first use of the ball.
Next week he will be getting a full game against Willi.
You can see how his injuries have affected him. At his best he had a huge spring at the centre square. Didn’t see any of that yesterday.

5.   Tom de Koning:   Young de Koning continued his promising form yesterday. He took a couple of nice marks and tried hard in the ruck. His kicking was nice and getting a couple of goals was an excellent result.
He is going to take some time, but he is looking promising.

43.   Jesse Glass-McCasker:   Jesse played as a key defender and wasn’t bad yesterday, but he continually lives in that border-zone. Unlike a lot of our defenders, JGM actually plays his man closely. That is not a bad thing. His marking has improved, but he almost take a huge number of marks. Yesterday two of his ‘almosts’ led directly to Frankston goals that simple wouldn’t have happened if he had held the mark.
Another time he took an excellent defensive mark only to turn the kick over close to goal.
I can see why we kept him on, but he needs to complete things if he is going to go on.

45.   Matt Shaw:   Shaw was very good early, but dropped out of the game. He was extremely solid and hit his targets. I’d be bringing him in is Plowman doesn’t come up. He doesn’t have huge pace, but neither does Plowman after his injuries. (Plowman looked so much faster as an U18 that I can barely recognize him at times.) Shaw also adds some mongrel: he does not take a backwards step. His solidity and his ability to stick with a man impressed me.

38.   Kym LeBois:   Injured in the first 30 seconds and will miss a month: a real pity as he impressing until this week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #113
Of the VFL players on our list:

16.   Jean-Luc Velissaris:   First time I’ve seen that lad and actually knew who he was. I was impressed with his pace and his willingness to take the game on. I liked what I saw. Not so sure about the defensive side of his game, but he attacked very nicely.

3.   Jesse Palmer:   Another very solid effort as a mid-sized forward. His goal kicking was nice and his defensive pressure was a pleasure.

29.   Josh Hill:   I’ve never really been a fan of Hill. He is not a pressure player. He proved it again yesterday, but he played easily his best game in our colours so far. He is a part of many scoring opportunities. I’d like to see him work harder, but that has always been his problem.

9.   Sam Fisher:   His best game for us by some margin. He had 11 tackles and rally put in. His goal was lovely. His put a lot of pressure on and was one of our better mids on the day. I am hoping this is a sign of things to come.

12.   Brendan Myers:   Hurt his shoulder, but he was very solid and hard working in the middle. This was the best effort I’ve seen from him.

27.   Angus Milhan:   Promising in the ruck, but he ended with 1 possession. He didn’t aim his taps very well and he had some problems with the physicality of Lewis Pierce, but he was probably our most effective ruckman on the day. He really does have some promise, as he does go to the right spots and he does fly for marks.

24.   Fraser Pearce:   Not a great game, but solid enough. He did some nice things.

25.   Kane Keppel:   Played in defence as a key defender and had a very good game. He doesn’t tend to make the mistakes that JGM does and he could be an option for a close defender at year’s end. I really like the way he plays.

7.   Mason Blakey:   Very consistent player who is also an ‘almost’ type. He has promise.

22.   Chris McCabe:   A solid performance that improved as the day went on. May lack that express pace, but he was in the play and making tackles.

57.   Ethan Penrith:   Not many opportunities to show his flair yesterday, but he does look to be promising. He really does have pace and dash.

1.   Tom Wilson:   Love the way he gets to the bottom of packs. His has his limitations, but he is a cut figure and deserves to be.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #114
Likes and Dislikes:
[1] The slow start: Frankston came to play and had bigger bodies and tried to muscle our kids out of it. It actually worked early. The wind ruined their kicking.
[2] I loved the tackling. Over 100 tackles was fantastic. Now if the seniors can do that! Seriously, if Carlton had 100 tackles each week we would win a lot.
If the NBs can keep it up, I will be rapped!
[3] Rucks: Having 3 rucks was very useful, but none of them was a match winner. In fact, the Frankston ruckman, Pierce, won the duel for most of the day. Mind you, Pierce was one of St Klda's best when they beat us last. That they can afford to allow him to play for Frankston shows that they think they have real ruck depth.
I really liked the way our rucks fought it out and managed to keep Pierce from dominating, as our rucks were better around the ground.
[4] I really like the way we lifted. That was brilliant.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #115
Likes and Dislikes:
[1] The slow start: Frankston came to play and had bigger bodies and tried to muscle our kids out of it. It actually worked early. The wind ruined their kicking.
[2] I loved the tackling. Over 100 tackles was fantastic. Now if the seniors can do that! Seriously, if Carlton had 100 tackles each week we would win a lot.
If the NBs can keep it up, I will be rapped!
[3] Rucks: Having 3 rucks was very useful, but none of them was a match winner. In fact, the Frankston ruckman, Pierce, won the duel for most of the day. Mind you, Pierce was one of St Klda's best when they beat us last. That they can afford to allow him to play for Frankston shows that they think they have real ruck depth.
I really liked the way our rucks fought it out and managed to keep Pierce from dominating, as our rucks were better around the ground.
[4] I really like the way we lifted. That was brilliant.

Where were you watching from Crash?

I was on the outer wing in front of the drums near the can bar, not far from Weiter's aunt. You couldn't miss her, she's a cross between Hey Hey's Mrs Migillicutty, Spoon Lady and Bea from Prisoner a voice like a fog horn! When the lads gave it to Weiters as he come onto the bench she stood up and gave them a gob full and they all shut up, it was quite funny, she's hell of a character the exact opposite of Weitering!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
Where were you watching from Crash?

I was on the outer wing in front of the drums near the can bar, not far from Weiter's aunt. You couldn't miss her, she's a cross between Hey Hey's Mrs Migillicutty, Spoon Lady and Bea from Prisoner a voice like a fog horn! When the lads gave it to Weiters as he come onto the bench she stood up and gave them a gob full and they all shut up, it was quite funny, she's hell of a character the exact opposite of Weitering!
I was watching the TV. I really wanted to be there, but I couldn't organize it. Family commitments.
I wanted to have my girls see the first VFLW match with the Blues.
I haven't seen a lot of VFL games for a while and it does irritate me. Maybe I can get to some more when we move back to Melbourne. But there are still a number off issues to be solved there yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #117
I was watching the TV. I really wanted to be there, but I couldn't organize it. Family commitments.
I wanted to have my girls see the first VFLW match with the Blues.
I haven't seen a lot of VFL games for a while and it does irritate me. Maybe I can get to some more when we move back to Melbourne. But there are still a number off issues to be solved there yet.

Had some great days at VFL or suburban footy, many many years ago in the Federal League we'd gather near the can bar and burst into a chorus of The Drinking Song if things got boring! The drummers at Frankston aren't too bad, but those days are long gone, I wonder who has organised that, it won't be spontaneous somebody is remembering days gone by! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
Penrith:...has pace, nous but disposal is erratic..
Wilson....hasnt grown much since his days at the Nuna Vikings but he gives you plenty....just not enough tricks to warrant a rookie spot....
Milhan...dud.....
Jessie GMac.....dud
Palmer from Port.....Brad Pearce type, has some talent but needs to do more.
Josh Hill....ok but but slow and not dominant like he should be...disappointing IMO.
Sam Fisher from the Swans...knows his way around a footy ground and has something...rookie potential or maybe I just like lefties as they kick the ball well..
Pearce...VFL battler
Keppel...see Pearce, has some grunt but not much else..
Jean-Luc Velissaris....not bad, bit of confidence about how he plays..
McCabe...VFL only....
Blakey..seen him play better, lacks a bit of size and strength...

Reply #119
18.   Jacob Weitering:   The best game that Jacob has played in quite a while. He was the general in defence and he really led it. He was very vocal and showed great on field leadership.
However, I would not rush him back into the seniors unless there was an injury. Why? Frankston played him very poorly and allowed him to remain loose. He was allowed to play the sort of game he played as a kid. Had they matched him up, it may have been a different tale.
In the first half he got a lot of the ball, but of the 10 marks he took in the first half, all but one (the last) was a 2 o 3 or 4 grab mark. He couldn’t take a one grabber when matched up on Ferreira, who is much smaller.
After half time all of his marks were 1 grab, a great improvement. His kicking was excellent, but he generally went back for his kicks and did not move the ball on quickly at all. Not even once.
He is still very slow. He really needs to work on that.
I wouldn’t promote him until he takes an opponent apart. He has not been able to play loose once in the seniors, not the way we are playing. He needs to get confidence actually beating someone.

That's a good observation - Weitering doesn't really know how to move the ball on quickly. He's always taking the mark, falling over, dropping back behind the mark, taking his time, then kicks. Usually by then all the down field options are covered so he's either chipping sideways or bombing down the line.

That aint good.

He should be left in the seconds until he stops being so afraid of making a mistake. Make 10 mistakes in the VFL - nobody cares. Just keep taking risks.