Skip to main content
Topic: South Africa v Australia - touring squad (Read 40312 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Reply #45
 Saffies putting the squeeze on...runs very hard to get, Mclaren is essentially a one day player but knows how to bowl tightly.
Morkel been very impressive, seems to have gained pace(up around 150k with some deliveries) since he last played us and with his height is very intimidating.
Not sure Warner can get away with throwing the bat at every delivery like he did vs England, the Saffies bowl a better line and its not high percentage play to play like a millionaire.
Marsh who is a strokemaker has showed how to play...keep it simple and only throw the bat at the rank bad deliveries but let the good ones go.

We are still in the game as the Saffies have a weaker batting lineup with Kallis out and I reckon it will a low scoring game where a 50 run lead might be worth 150 on the last day...

Reply #46
Bottom line is we can't carry WAtson and Warner....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #47
4 FOR 98.

eb1 - another top order disaster.

Top order is farked. Who'd have thought Marsh would be the one to step up? Need to get 300 plus to be any chance I reckon. Hopefully Smith and Marsh can take some pressure off Hadds and establish a respectable score.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #48
Very happy that we didn't embarrass ourselves and showed some ticker after a sticky start against a decent attack.

Smith, for all his technical flaws, is becoming a decent player and clearly has the right mental attitude.

Not convinced re Marsh but runs are gold.  At least delivered when it counted.

Warner needs to get his head into test match mode and eliminate that driving flaw or he will continue to divide opinions.

Very worried about the captain.  Consistency is the hallmark of the greats and he isn't making runs, just lots of cameos.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
Very happy that we didn't embarrass ourselves and showed some ticker after a sticky start against a decent attack.

Smith, for all his technical flaws, is becoming a decent player and clearly has the right mental attitude.

Warner needs to get his head into test match mode and eliminate that driving flaw or he will continue to divide opinions.

Very worried about the captain.  Consistency is the hallmark of the greats and he isn't making runs, just lots of cameos.

Marsh played with restraint when the ball was new and got the rewards and it was very fine innings vs very good bowling....Smith continues to surprise, never looks a class player and one who get out very next ball but continues to cement his place in the team. I think we are well placed to win this test and its all down to Graeme Smith who gambled and lost when he put us into bat.
The wicket is now flat and offering little and I'm think batting last on a deck where the ball will keep low will be hard yakka for the Saffies.
I also expect them to hit back with the ball so every run will be vital and we need Haddin, Johnosn etc to contribute some runs and get past 450...

Reply #50

Shaun Marsh....eating my words as we speak.........Warner- horrible shot, Doolan - looked very good but gifted it away....a trait that is all too familiar of late for Tassie cricket followers.  Clarke...way too many 20-30s in the last few tests.  If Ponting got to 30 in his prime, the bowlers didn't get too many 2nd chances.
Smith - is always going to attract criticism for his style, it doesn't look rock solid, but geez he is a beauty & has that something about him as a number 5 or 6 that the likes of Doug Walters had.

I bet Haddon is hoping to be coming in with the score closer to 400 than 100 for a change !

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #51
Wow, pleasantly suprised by the scorecard.

Boof is a genius.

Awesome scoreline compared to the Ashes efforts of our top order.

No foxtel, so only reading online here... bah!

Reply #52
Wow, pleasantly suprised by the scorecard.

Boof is a genius.

Awesome scoreline compared to the Ashes efforts of our top order.

No foxtel, so only reading online here... bah!

Raven..Your not missing much on the foxtel commentary...Shaun Pollock was a great cricketer but has only one eye when it comes to commentating, kept telling everyone that AB DeVilliers is the best batter in the world...plenty to say early but didnt seem to talk much when Marsh and Smith got control. Mark Nicholas also winds me up.....talks a lot but says very little in terms of the game and would rather digress onto meaningless chatter about trivia.
Michael Holding is probably the best of an ordinary lot......you could probably listen to the Afrikans commentators, understand not one word they say and be just as as informed..
Former South Australian batsman Mike Haysman wont say much negative stuff about the Saffies either as he is now a long term resident....

Like the camera work too...plenty of shots of a swimming pool with a lot of overweight big gutted Saffie local blokes drinking beer and trying to pick up women...there were probably more people in the pool than watching the game....it looked like a shield game at the Junction oval in terms of numbers....and if someone could tell me where that swimming pool fitted into Centurion park then I would appreciate it ..

Reply #53
They were moving along nice at 4/297 and now 3 wickets lost in a space of 50 odd runs. 7/348.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #54
They were moving along nice at 4/297 and now 3 wickets lost in a space of 50 odd runs. 7/348.
If we make it to 450 it will be a very good result.
Blue boy born 'n' raised.
Reppin' the navy since '95.

Reply #55

Saffies have fought back, unlike England they wont throw in the towel and will persist...its good test cricket.
Hoping Mitch Johnson can make a few more runs and get us past 400...

Reply #56

Saffies have fought back, unlike England they wont throw in the towel and will persist...its good test cricket.
Hoping Mitch Johnson can make a few more runs and get us past 400...

Mitch is moving along nicely and is the key to our score going past the 400 mark. Get it past 400 and I will be happy. Get it up to where PezzDog said 450 and we should be O.K. if we bowl and field well.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #57
All out for 397 is a let down on what looked like a much higher score overnight. Pressure now back on the quicks to get some early breakthroughs.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #58
That's how to clean up the tail!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #59
And that's how to get rid of the openers  :o

If we can snaffle Amla, the Test should be ours  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball