Skip to main content
Topic: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)  (Read 61420 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)

Reply #90
If Broke is 100 % fit, then I'm a vegetable. At the moment, Broke is broken and needs a week or so off to get right, then a good 30+ possession game for Northern to get his form back. He is still important to our structures, important enough that we need to get him right. At the moment he isn't getting the ball and is struggling to chase due to his lack of pace.
We should play Graham or Cripps in his place: gives them a good taste while we get the guy who single handedly beat Richmond not long back playing better. It is called 'management'.

Waite: play him in defence until he gets over his kicking yips. We can't afford him having 6 shots for 1 goal, 3 behinds and 2 on the fulls (it may have been more, but that is all I remember). When he got sent back, he got into the game, where he was useless in the first half.

CHF: we don't really have one and it hurts our structure no end. I don't know if Hendo is the answer, but neither Rowe nor White nor Casboult is.

One of the things that really irritated me was the way Richmond marked every quick kick forward we made. There were any number of occasions that we did really well to get the ball forward under great pressure, for the ball to come back immediately, as a Richmond player had marked it.
It was nice when we got them panicking late in the game, as they kicked the ball forward blindly and we generally got it moving again our way.

Tuohy: he is also so far out of form that it is a severe worry. He started off against North fantastically, but since he went off injured late in that game he has been very ordinary. I don't know if we have the cattle to give him some time in the VFL - maybe we should be playing him upfield? But at the moment he is losing one on ones and it hurts.

I am not quite sure why people are bagging White. He didn't have a huge game, but his moving back onto Riewoldt (not a move I would have considered) was a masterstroke. He continued pantsing Riewoldt, as Jamo had done, but allowed Jamo to play on the Richmond taller forwards. He killed them and it dried up Richmond's scoring options.

Garlett: what a terrible 100th game! We do seem to be very ordinary in mile stone games these days. But Garlett needs to get over his kicking yips. if that means time in the VFL, then so be it. But he could have had 6 goals and he ended with 1. His misses were one of the reasons we lost.

Kicking: I don't think it has been a strength in recent times, but I simply cannot imagine when it has been worse. Turnovers kill and we produced far too many. As for the goal kicking (well, missing), it is unprofessional. Jamo's was bad enough: he was celebrating when the goal umpire was signaling one point. Bell's was terrible. Warnock's was almost unforgivable. He NEVER misses at training, but he has barely kicked a goal since that game against Geelong. Gibb's shot on the siren was deflating, but Waite's misses were like daggers in the back.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #91
A few positives to come out of last night. Buckley was fantastic for his second game, I almost certain Yarran will now become a star and we started to look more like a footy team in the second half something that I couldn't see in the port game or in the first half.

Put walker, armfield, Judd, Kruezer, Scotland, carazzo and to some extent Doherty and we are 50% better side.

Reply #92
So much to be disappointed with and yet there were definitely things to be encouraged by.

The first question should be, why weren't we ready to play? We were shell-shocked for the first qtr and a half... that should never happen, especially when you know the opposition is going to come out hard and fierce. Between the ears stuff. Coaching staff has to wear a lot of that - our boys weren't ready. We had to wait for some heat to go out of the game before many of our boys felt safe to assert themselves and get their hands on the aggott. Soft.

Talking of soft. Has the winning culture completely gone from the place? Missing easy shots at goal is all about between the ear. Warnock's knees turned to jelly when he was shooting for goal at a critical moment (would have been 2 on the trot and changed the game). Likewise Waite... and others. That's a serious lack of confidence, in fact, it's about doubt and we seem to have plenty of it.

Encouraging is that we can, as a group, eventually find the minerals to apply legitimate pressure and actually play some very good footy. But our last qtr last night was almost a carbon copy of our last qtr against the Dishlickers in that NAB Challenge game... so why wasn't that fixed? Why so many jelly legs when kicking pressure goals?

There is hardness but it seems only as a reaction. Now to state the bloomin' obvious... need to start hard and desperate and maintain it for 120 minutes and that means concentrating for 120 minutes and that means working ruthlessly hard (even when the aggott is nowhere near you) for 120 minutes.

Very disappointed in the efforts of Gibbs, McLean (7 bad qtrs in a row), early disposal and composure in front of goal. Dinger Bell did not impress. Has so much going for him except a footy brain. Warnock worked really hard but the bottom line is the bloke is one dimensional. Tap ruckman only. In 1988 would have been a beaut. But a ruckman who cannot mark and goes to water in front of goal aint no good in this era of footy. Dare I say Wood wouldn't have been as good in tap work but would have marked and kicked truly!

Those who write that a couple of bona fide KPPs will make a significant difference are right on the money. Waite is too unreliable. Henderson is a ripper and so is Jamison.

Wrapped in the overall efforts of Buckley, Everitt & Yarran. Daisey is beginning to show us why we worked hard to get him.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #93
Year after year after year after year. Farken sick to death of this:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-03-27/thursday-showreel-blues-in-blunderland
Nuff said

This is fair dinkum embarrassing. If I were in Micks shoes I would play this ten times over on Monday, not say a word stand up and walk out.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #95
We really didn't deserve the win but at the same time when you get that close it p155es you off so much more than just losing it by 5 goals. Sort of knew it was going to roll that way when we started to fluff up those shots in the last. My thoughts
Yarran BOG for us.
Murph, Simmo, Thomas and Jammo really good for most of the night. Special mention to Murph for his last quarter.
Everitt was serviceable and lets face it, at least he can kick straight.
Ed Curnow continue to do his job and although Cotchin got a few touches he was far from being an influential player. really having a purple patch is our Ed.
Agree with most that we should only have one of either Tom or Mitch in the side and even before last nights game I would have said Tom. Sorry Mitch your total lack of composure should be tolerated no more. At least with Tom he gets one or two kicks on target during a game.
Waitey continues to do my head in but in all honesty who else do we have down forward who could do his job. Really anyone?? Could have kicked 4.
Dylan Buckley. So glad he got a game. Please lord let him evolve into the player he looks like he could be and not get poisoned by our "development" staff. Loved him
Happy with Lucas' contribution for a change. Thought he did pretty well when he came on. didn't look as panicky as normal. By the way that exciting run he had down the wing in the last when many on here thought he just turned it over with a kick to the opposition? There was absolutely no-one in our F50 for him to kick to. So unless you wanted him to run over the boundary line with the ball he really didn't have another option.
Also happy with Menzel. Should be a lock in for that small forward role for the entire year and is more value to us than Garlett at the moment who needs a spell. If nothing else but for that weak as p!55 decision to soccer that kick through in the last. That is just plain disgraceful. If Yarran didn't keep kicking the ball to him he would barely get a touch.
Lachie Henderson was a bit up and down but I'm thinking he's still not match fit enough and I expect him to improve each week from now. We still need 2 of him.
Bryce was shizen other than that beautiful snag in the last. Funny how we can't kick them from directly in front but we can fluke kicks like that. Maybe he's trying to reduce his value for prospective  suitors but you know what Bryce you're still getting paid by us for the moment so friggin do your job.
Zach and Davey Ellard. Like both these boys but just not having an impact at the moment. Zach is more of a concern personally as we have lost that drive off half-back he used to give us.
Simon White I thought was solid and will retain his position for next week because we ain't got much down back right now.
Last week I said I'd have Sam Rowe ahead of Watson. I now retract that statement. Just not up to it and should never play in the senior side again. Probably the worst individual effort by a Carlton player in a single game since Watson last week. Please someone, give me hope of something in the magoos to fill this hole?
Robbie "the spud" Warnock. This bloke is single-handedly making us the laughing stock of the AFL. I don't care how many taps he gets he is zero impact, no, no, no,  negative impact around the ground. I would play Cameron Wood ahead of him, but isn't he on the rookie list?
Brock you are back to your 2012 form at the moment. Don't sook up. Put up!

The drug cheats will spank us next week. I only hope we throw in a few newbies who can at least kick properly.

Reply #96
That was the most uncompetitive uninspiring side we've fielded in a while. We looked slow and played old. Take Buckley and Yarren out of last nights side and we would have been as boring as hell. I thought Lucas should have come on from first bounce, and agree Docherty and Armfield will give us some much needed energy and run. We also missed Walker. But I can't see how we can avoid a rebuild, the players that should have come through haven't. Relying on carrots and Judd is a temporary fix. I think we've reached a point where Gibbs and Kruizer have to be cashed in to provide the next wave of opportunity to build on our most recent selections. It's not the loss that upset me it's more the thinness of our playing stock.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #97
I thought when we had Henderson, White and Everiott roaming the forwardline with Waite down back was a greta strategic move. We can always swing them around and might have doen so a little early IMO but that would be the setup I'd use, as I have mentioned before, so I was happy to see this in play.

I'd use Rowe down back with Waite the intercept/3rd man up type with his athletic ability a weapon. Can act as the 3rd tall with Jamison and Rowe the two first. Waite would make their jobs so much easier. Play as a collective unit.

Up forward then I'd have Henderson as the main man we build our future forwardline around with help from White, Everitt, Walker and a Casboult possibility also. We need a point of difference up forward, and down back, and to me this is it.

Kreuzer shouldn't come back until he'd had games on end in the 2's. Watson wasn't as good last week compared to Rowe who does have limitations but IMO spanked the softest 200cm footballer in footy in Ty Vickery apart from a push in the back the Vickery had on Rowe. Everything else was punched back as hard as it came to them. Handy. Waite, again, would make life easier for him down back.

Let Buckley and Menzel play the year in the 1's along with Graham and get some games into Cripps, Holman and Giles. Don't mind Menzel across half-balk from time to time. Buckley allowed Yarran to move forward and give us run and not be solely reliant upon Simpson, particularly with Walker out. Bucks a good kick., super quick, hard and competitive. Kane Lucas, are you taking notice?

McLean out, way too slow. Robinson still butchers it but goes hard. Needs more finesse, is a turnover merchant and needs to learn to handball. Get 20 handballs a game instead of 15-20 kicks!

Reply #98
Encouraging is that we can, as a group, eventually find the minerals to apply legitimate pressure and actually play some very good footy.

There was no pressure applied it was an open game that hinged on turnovers.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #99
A few positives to come out of last night. Buckley was fantastic for his second game, I almost certain Yarran will now become a star and we started to look more like a footy team in the second half something that I couldn't see in the port game or in the first half.

Put walker, armfield, Judd, Kruezer, Scotland, carazzo and to some extent Doherty and we are 50% better side.
Agree with this to some extent. We need more pace and Army will definitely give us this and some mongrel if nothing else. We need to weed out the imbeciles who cant kick one by one or two by two if necessary. If they haven't learnt by now they never will. It is the single most important factor that costs us the majority of our games. HS reports 36 turnovers, none more telling than Warnock to Vickory in the goal square for a gift of a goal. Add another half a dozen odd shots at goal that went out on the full? Deplorable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #100
Warnock worked really hard but the bottom line is the bloke is one dimensional. Tap ruckman only. In 1988 would have been a beaut. But a ruckman who cannot mark and goes to water in front of goal aint no good in this era of footy. Dare I say Wood wouldn't have been as good in tap work but would have marked and kicked truly!
To be fair, I thought it was Robbies kicking only that let him down by and large. For a bloke thats 206cm, he wasnt to bad down low at times last night, dished off nicely when he had to I though. But his disposal by foot was Little Leaguesque!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #101
Warnock worked really hard but the bottom line is the bloke is one dimensional. Tap ruckman only. In 1988 would have been a beaut. But a ruckman who cannot mark and goes to water in front of goal aint no good in this era of footy. Dare I say Wood wouldn't have been as good in tap work but would have marked and kicked truly!
To be fair, I thought it was Robbies kicking only that let him down by and large. For a bloke thats 206cm, he wasnt to bad down low at times last night, dished off nicely when he had to I though. But his disposal by foot was Little Leaguesque!
Having said that he didnt take a farken single mark either :(
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #102
Encouraging is that we can, as a group, eventually find the minerals to apply legitimate pressure and actually play some very good footy.

There was no pressure applied it was an open game that hinged on turnovers.
There was a period in the first qtr where we were delivering it to Tiggers players with surgeon like precision. I am certain when we had the ball, they just stood around and waited patiently for us to hand it over to them. It was embarrassing. Eliminate those turnovers and I am sure the game would have been different. Richmond are so overrated, top 4 my a hole.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #103

Agree with this to some extent. We need more pace and Army will definitely give us this and some mongrel if nothing else. We need to weed out the imbeciles who cant kick one by one or two by two if necessary. If they haven't learnt by now they never will. It is the single most important factor that costs us the majority of our games. HS reports 36 turnovers, none more telling than Warnock to Vickory in the goal square for a gift of a goal. Add another half a dozen odd shots at goal that went out on the full? Deplorable.

I remember some years back David Parkin talking about the evolution of our game. He mentioned that right across the board, skills had improved - hand balling, tackling, running patterns,etc. you name it. Except goal kicking. The one area he said will probably never improve. If there's anyone out there who knows about the mechanics of goal kicking, I'd love to hear from them. The margin for error must be miniscule.

Reply #104

I remember some years back David Parkin talking about the evolution of our game. He mentioned that right across the board, skills had improved - hand balling, tackling, running patterns,etc. you name it. Except goal kicking. The one area he said will probably never improve. If there's anyone out there who knows about the mechanics of goal kicking, I'd love to hear from them. The margin for error must be miniscule.
Did you see Warnocks shot for goal? I challenge anyone to repeat what he did, impossible. He kicked it with the side of shin so high up it was ridiculous. You couldnt do it if you tried. Thats a problem above the shoulders IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th