Skip to main content
Topic: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)  (Read 61448 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)

Reply #135
A few positives to come out of last night. Buckley was fantastic for his second game, I almost certain Yarran will now become a star and we started to look more like a footy team in the second half something that I couldn't see in the port game or in the first half.

Put walker, armfield, Judd, Kruezer, Scotland, carazzo and to some extent Doherty and we are 50% better side.
Agree with this to some extent. We need more pace and Army will definitely give us this and some mongrel if nothing else. We need to weed out the imbeciles who cant kick one by one or two by two if necessary. If they haven't learnt by now they never will. It is the single most important factor that costs us the majority of our games. HS reports 36 turnovers, none more telling than Warnock to Vickory in the goal square for a gift of a goal. Add another half a dozen odd shots at goal that went out on the full? Deplorable.

I remember some years back David Parkin talking about the evolution of our game. He mentioned that right across the board, skills had improved - hand balling, tackling, running patterns,etc. you name it. Except goal kicking. The one area he said will probably never improve. If there's anyone out there who knows about the mechanics of goal kicking, I'd love to hear from them. The margin for error must be miniscule.
Did you see Warnocks shot for goal? I challenge anyone to repeat what he did, impossible. He kicked it with the side of shin so high up it was ridiculous. You couldnt do it if you tried. Thats a problem above the shoulders IMO.

Yes I did see it, and wished I hadn't. I was referring to goal kicking generally. All teams will occasionally have off nights. And it looks awful when it happens. Some games you can't buy a goal. Other times you can't miss. To whit, Mr Ellis' two boundary goals. I would defy him to kick one of those again this entire season, let alone two in one game.

Reply #136
Just looked at the stats. We had more;
- contested possessions
- clearances
- tackles
- hit outs
- tackles
- inside 50's
- marks inside 50
- shots on goal

and we conspired to loss the game! Only this team, and this group of mental pygmies, are capable of doing that. It is a rare feat to win all the important areas of a game of football and lose on the scoreboard.

The thing that stood out for me last night was the games of Garlett and Robbo. Both made their debuts 5 years ago and we have pumped 100 odd games into each of them. And both of them last night continually made the same errors and poor decisions that they were making 5 years ago! The lack of progress and improvement in fixing their weaknesses made by those 2 players alone [and I know there are others, Mr Waite I'm looking at you] is one of the reasons we remain a middle of the road team. Some really hard decisions need to made on the list if we want to actually get better...........

Reply #137
Spot on Agey, the kid is a star.

He did play well, I am not disputing that, but 94% really?

If you go by the CD stats they also list Curnow as best on ground!

The stats are at best rubbery assessments bent to suit the circumstance.

The arguemnt was that you thought he butchered the ball a bit.   94% efficiency disputes that. 
He used the ball weel last night

Reply #138
It's more of a guideline as opposed to an exact science but the 94% does suggest he was great with ball in hand. i didn't notice any issues. I'm not willing to sit through that crap again and confirm.

I suppose this depends on what you classify as an efficient disposal. Some regimes require a fellow team member to take clean control of the ball, others are happy as long as it doesn't go directly to an opponent or OOBOTF.

Changing the subject, how did Robbo go in your opinion?

I saw one occasion where he was under pressure, threw it on the boot and it went to Richmond. I didn't think he was too bad other than that. I do not see how everyone is critcising him for his kicking again it all comes down to preconceived impressions. His kicking was generally good.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #139
- contested possessions
- clearances
- tackles
- hit outs
- tackles
- inside 50's
- marks inside 50
- shots on goal

and we conspired to loss the game! Only this team, and this group of mental pygmies, are capable of doing that. It is a rare feat to win all the important areas of a game of football and lose on the scoreboard.

We actually led most stats at half time but were still down. You have to question the gameplan when that's happening.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #140
It's more of a guideline as opposed to an exact science but the 94% does suggest he was great with ball in hand. i didn't notice any issues. I'm not willing to sit through that crap again and confirm.

I suppose this depends on what you classify as an efficient disposal. Some regimes require a fellow team member to take clean control of the ball, others are happy as long as it doesn't go directly to an opponent or OOBOTF.

Changing the subject, how did Robbo go in your opinion?

I saw one occasion where he was under pressure, threw it on the boot and it went to Richmond. I didn't think he was too bad other than that. I do not see how everyone is critcising him for his kicking again it all comes down to preconceived impressions. His kicking was generally good.

There was a lot of us kicking and going straight to Rich,ond.  82 times in fact  :P

Reply #141
Well he was responsible for one of them that's for sure!!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #142
So this is Buckley's 3rd or 4th year on the list, had a great pre-season and was still a late inclusion and produced that.

How many other "old" boys are getting a game based on past performances when we have some good hungry kids ready to go?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #143
- contested possessions
- clearances
- tackles
- hit outs
- tackles
- inside 50's
- marks inside 50
- shots on goal

We actually led most stats at half time but were still down. You have to question the gameplan when that's happening.

More the mental fortitude if you ask me

Reply #144
The point is the kid produced a ripping game 2 and personally I liked game 1 and to think the rumours last year was he was going to be delisted.

On our side, until we can get some easy disposal we're going to struggle. You can't be so heavy on the contested ball, especially when you have FA KPPs but the chances of some unpredictability coming in are very low.

Reply #145
A few positives to come out of last night. Buckley was fantastic for his second game, I almost certain Yarran will now become a star and we started to look more like a footy team in the second half something that I couldn't see in the port game or in the first half.

Put walker, armfield, Judd, Kruezer, Scotland, carazzo and to some extent Doherty and we are 50% better side.
Agree with this to some extent. We need more pace and Army will definitely give us this and some mongrel if nothing else. We need to weed out the imbeciles who cant kick one by one or two by two if necessary. If they haven't learnt by now they never will. It is the single most important factor that costs us the majority of our games. HS reports 36 turnovers, none more telling than Warnock to Vickory in the goal square for a gift of a goal. Add another half a dozen odd shots at goal that went out on the full? Deplorable.

I remember some years back David Parkin talking about the evolution of our game. He mentioned that right across the board, skills had improved - hand balling, tackling, running patterns,etc. you name it. Except goal kicking. The one area he said will probably never improve. If there's anyone out there who knows about the mechanics of goal kicking, I'd love to hear from them. The margin for error must be miniscule.
Did you see Warnocks shot for goal? I challenge anyone to repeat what he did, impossible. He kicked it with the side of shin so high up it was ridiculous. You couldnt do it if you tried. Thats a problem above the shoulders IMO.

Yes I did see it, and wished I hadn't. I was referring to goal kicking generally. All teams will occasionally have off nights. And it looks awful when it happens. Some games you can't buy a goal. Other times you can't miss. To whit, Mr Ellis' two boundary goals. I would defy him to kick one of those again this entire season, let alone two in one game.

So why are we having a few (lots) off years? :o We generally always kick more points than goals, only a couple of rare games we kick more goals than behinds.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #146
So this is Buckley's 3rd or 4th year on the list, had a great pre-season and was still a late inclusion and produced that.

How many other "old" boys are getting a game based on past performances when we have some good hungry kids ready to go?
This^^^^
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #147
 Buckley and Menzel impress me. Cripps and Giles have looked the part in the lead up matches. That's encouraging as we need new blood coming through. I  believe we have the talent, that shows with the sometimes glorious bursts we've produced over the last few years, but that lazy culture pervades. Been that way since 2002. Too many blokes cruise and until that sorts we'll struggle.

Gibbs has talent but I wouldn't be working too hard to keep him. One of those talented blokes who tends to cruise too much. Happy for him to do that for someone else.

Reply #148
I cant believe the hate for Rowe on here I thought his game was serviceable,have a look when he went into the ruck in the centre we actually starting winning the ball out of the centre. Warnock got first hands on the ball many times but he doesn't tap it to advantage.
Rowe set up Yarran for a goal with a tap down in a contested marking contest.
In the second half Rowe had many important spoils in the back half of the game.
If your going to sack every defender that concedes a mark to Vickery we are going to be very short of players at the end of the year.
It was his first game and I reckon Wood and him would offer more than Warnock in the team.

Reply #149
I cant believe the hate for Rowe on here I thought his game was serviceable,have a look when he went into the ruck in the centre we actually starting winning the ball out of the centre. Warnock got first hands on the ball many times but he doesn't tap it to advantage.
Rowe set up Yarran for a goal with a tap down in a contested marking contest.
In the second half Rowe had many important spoils in the back half of the game.
If your going to sack every defender that concedes a mark to Vickery we are going to be very short of players at the end of the year.
It was his first game and I reckon Wood and him would offer more than Warnock in the team.

I agree Marty100, what was it his 2nd game for us as a KPD and he is dealing with a forward line consisting of a Coleman medalist and a top 10 draft pick KPP. So I think he had an ordinary game but for an early attempt at KPD it was OK. He wasn't in the ruck long enough for me to make a decision about that. My main criticism is that for a ruck type he was disposed of too easily in the couple of contests, but they won't be doing that to him for long if he gets a clean run of games.

Newbies to AFL all have to learn on big lesson, AFL isn't about being fair!
The Force Awakens!