Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 54693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #135
Yes it's changed. If you click on the watch replay button, the subscription window pops up.

Thanks mate. Ah well, another perk gone!  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
Have there ever been that many players in the middle for a Gatorade shower ;D

There were 9 in there Lods !!

Kerridge, Wright, Plowman, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner, Weitering, C. Curnow and Byrne.

As has been well documented, we brought in 15 new players over the summer. In any team game it takes time to build 'chemistry' among the playing group. We have seen a few green shoots over the last few weeks, but it feels oh so good to finally get a win !!

Totally agree with all the comments about the lack of skills, it was very scrappy, but for probably the 1st time this year we put in a 4 qtr effort, and that got us the 4 points !!

The captain led from the front, he had a good game today.

Gibbs was a lot better than other games this year too. It makes a big difference when your senior players step up!

Simmo was another who played well.

I was impressed with Wright, gee he works hard. A few more with his attitude would be great!

Daisy with 3 goals did his job.

I obviously miss a lot of the inside work that gets done, I hardly noticed Cripps or Kerridge today, but they both got their fair share of the ball.

Touhy is not in great form, I thought Byrne was the better Irishman today, Casey showed some good signs.

I really really want to see Casboult become a good or even great player, but until he learns to kick goals he is a liability. No team can afford to have all their good work undone by a forward who cannot finish off all their hard work. When you start missing as many shots as Levi currently is, it becomes demoralizing for the whole team.

Jones was relatively quiet, but was important in the last qtr. Did enough to keep his spot.

Here's hoping this win gives the lads enough confidence to go out and win again next week against the 'dons.

Go Blues !!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #138
when it was there to be won, they didn't capitulate.
small steps, small gains, bit by bit

Reply #140
As a spectacle, it was a football version of Apocalypse Now. Oh, the horror, the horror.

But still, my take away was how tenacious the new kids were. Best tackling I've seen from us in a long time.

Did anyone else notice how absolutely LIVID Bolts was when Freo got that easy goal out of the centre with 5 mins to go?!?

Mark my words, this guy has mongrel in him and HATES losing.

To those lambasting Levi for not handballing over the top to Buckley - the poor guy simply can't handball. I've noticed a few times now he just doesn't understand the mechanics of holding the ball with one hand and punching it with the other. Watch him. It's sad but true.

Casboult had 8 handpasses for the game and his handpass after the 'don't argue' resulted in a goal.  His disposal efficiency was 75% so most of his handpasses must have been effective.

My impression was that Casboult's first reaction was to handball but he had second thoughts and held it back.

I'm not too fussed that he didn't handpass; it suggests that he still has confidence in his goalkicking.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141

I'm not too fussed that he didn't handpass; it suggests that he still has confidence in his goalkicking.

That makes one...

Reply #142

Awful, but Buckley had it coming after burning Daisy, both acts were horribly unprofessional.

Buckley has been doing one or two of these a week so far this season. I'd have Buckley out 1AW in if he is fit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
Don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking that was definitely our best win for the season thus far. ;D

Reply #144
Don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking that was definitely our best win for the season thus far. ;D

It would go pretty close Jim.  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #146
LLLLW looks better than LLLLL no matter how you dress it. ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #147
Don't forget entries in to fwd 50 were shocking. Dunstall would have struggled. That's not Jones fault and I am normally first to knock him. Had 3 shots got 2 so that's an improvement. He can't kick goals from no further than 30 out so staying deep is the ONLY position for him in snrs. Jones, Lamb, E Curnow and Levi all missed shots front on but Freo missed more.
Byrne sensational. When Sheehan gets right can see 3 mad irishmen playing defence for CFC. Thought Kruzer struggled. Not taking marks enough to be damaging. Got his hands on many up fwd for nothing.
Kerridge was great but needs to be told no more short kicks from defence as he has turned it over every game. Rowe was good but Pav is finished. If only Rowe could use the ball as his body work is ok.
Dylan looks lost. Will struggle to get back in def with Simpson owning it and now Byrne. Hope he finds form but I thought he fuoght well in last qtr, as did Phillips, Plow and Sumner. Gives much needed confidence as we tackle the scum. Even my 5 yr old girl hates Essendon...just born that way I presume :-)

Running joke... before opening my 5 y.o. smells the footy card packet and if it stinks like manure he says it's got an Essendon card inside it.

Something is off with our mids. There have been patches in certain games where they appear to have gotten it together but overall they have been really underwhelming. Repeated brain fades and some seriously basic disposals missing the mark. The worrying part is that these aren't the youngsters stuffing it up. Really hope next week is when it all comes together for them.

Defense looking the best it has looked in years with Byrne, Plowman, Weitering, Simo, 2e, Doc - just missing that last big key defender. Shame we missed young Kieran Collins last year. Gee if Glass-McCasker came good we'd be set. Sheehan can only help depth-wise.

Adding Walker and Jaksch (and maybe sneak in SOS) to the forward line would transform it I think. All of a sudden there is a different feel - bit of threat. 

Jones - just nup.
Resting ruckman down there - noooooope.
Buckley isn't a forward pocket.

Reply #148
I thought Rowe was pretty good against Freo, in the main role he was no longer hesitant. Just needs to get sorted in his head when to mark and when to punch, maybe some confidence will help.

To me one problem we have got with the mids is some confusion over who's doing what and it makes us look slow. Other than Kreuzer and Murphy they don't even look like they know where they want to stand. Yet I liked the early parts of the Freo game, Kreuzer looked fresher and hit the contest really hard leaving Cripps free to either link up or attack the opposition. Later in the game Clark started winning taps but by then the game had slowed and Cripps size and fitness kicked in, he was winning contested ball regularly. In effect early it was Kreuzer / Murphy when we were winning first use, later it was Cripps / Gibbs when Freo got their hands on the ball.

Not sure about the benefits of having Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs in the same rotation. It's like we have an A and B rotation, but I'd rather opposition had to deal continuously with either Kreuzer or Cripps. Feels a bit like rolling he dice at the moment.

In a high pressure game Gibbs impressed, as did Daisy. I think if Daisy stays fit he'll start to get more of a midfield rotation and that will help enormously as he can certainly find the football at stoppages.

I'd like to see Wright used in the F50 more, less in the midfield, his tackling is impressive and he could be our Betts replacement as a pressure forward.

Lamb did some nice stuff but tends to want to jump at the ball more than get at the fall. We had very few marks taken against our tall forwards so get some players at their feet.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
If we get that sort of effort AND output every week from Murph, Gibbs and Thomas we'll win more than we lose for the rest of the season.

That's on the back from improved output - from the young'uns too - The Plow, Sumner, Lamb, Weitering, Cripps (well he doesn't need to improve), Byrne (how good is this kid going to be?!!), Kerridge and Graham.

1AW back in and up forward will be a big plus too - hard match up and takes the heat off someone else to a degree.

Still hoping Kreuzer will 'come good' too - but even if he can only nullify his opponent well that's ok?

If Army's form warrants it - and it sounds like it almost does - he's an obvious replacement for Buckley imo - and a decent upgrade on Buckley's output this season.
Finals, then 4 in a row!