Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #75
Lynch played 30 games in his first two seasons, he debuted at eighteen and a half.
The old big blokes take longer line is a bit of a crock in my opinion, the good ones are up and about early on.

Josh Kennedy took quite a few years. Actually after he left Carlton. Many talls need to physically grow into their positions.

Reply #76
Josh Kennedy took quite a few years. Actually after he left Carlton. Many talls need to physically grow into their positions.

Kennedy played 22 games in his first two years at Carlton, he didn't look like a world beater but he showed definite promise.
McKay might well make the grade and I'm hoping that he does, but he needs to get a wriggle on.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #77
Kennedy played 22 games in his first two years at Carlton, he didn't look like a world beater but he showed definite promise.
McKay might well make the grade and I'm hoping that he does, but he needs to get a wriggle on.

Kennedy was playing about 5th fiddle to Fev when with us. If Fev was anywhere near F50 nobody was game to give the ball to Josh!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #78

I agree, and I also agree with your earlier statement re the big man urban myth. I don't expect miracles, but Harry getting a senior gig might actually be nice.

Reply #79
Lynch played 30 games in his first two seasons, he debuted at eighteen and a half.
The old big blokes take longer line is a bit of a crock in my opinion, the good ones are up and about early on.
True, but in Gold Coast's case they had few other choices but to play 18 year olds regularly

Reply #80
True, but in Gold Coast's case they had few other choices but to play 18 year olds regularly

In McKay's case his only competition is Levi and he can't get past him.
I really hope that he makes the grade and I'm sure that all Carlton supporters feel the same, but it wouldn't be the first time we've tried to draft a key forward and came up empty handed.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #81

Not being injured makes a difference.

And FFS, being in the forward line next to Ablett Jnr, O'Meara, Prestia, Brennan, Dixon, Brown, etc, etc., makes difference. McKay's frontline chop out is Casboult!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
The salient issue is not why Lynch, Kennedy etc. played seniors right off the bat, it is :

- what did they show in those early seasons, and
- has playing them early harmed them in any way ?

Lynch is the most sought after KF prospect at the moment, and Kennedy is a dual Coleman medallist. So I doubt we have anything to lose playing Harry, and certainly not for a block of 4 or 5 games, as I've previously advocated.

Reply #83
The salient issue is not why Lynch, Kennedy etc. played seniors right off the bat, it is :

- what did they show in those early seasons, and
- has playing them early harmed them in any way ?

Lynch is the most sought after KF prospect at the moment, and Kennedy is a dual Coleman medallist. So I doubt we have anything to lose playing Harry, and certainly not for a block of 4 or 5 games, as I've previously advocated.

If he’s not hitting his KPI’s why would you play him ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #84
In McKay's case his only competition is Levi and he can't get past him.
I really hope that he makes the grade and I'm sure that all Carlton supporters feel the same, but it wouldn't be the first time we've tried to draft a key forward and came up empty handed.
His competition is Casboult, Curnow and a coaching panel that seems to prefer going in with a small forward structure now.

If we line up as named (probably unlikely) then Daisy is our third tallest forward.

The suns have gone with a very small backline and if we were ever going to play Casboult, Curnow and Harry together this was the week to do it.

Reply #85
Not being injured makes a difference.

And FFS, being in the forward line next to Ablett Jnr, O'Meara, Prestia, Brennan, Dixon, Brown, etc, etc., makes difference. McKay's frontline chop out is Casboult!

It's all relative though.
He wouldn't have the same support at Carlton but he should still be getting a game in his third season if he's going to be a long term prospect in my opinion, I don't think that anyone would expect him to have a huge impact but we'd like to see him on the park at least.

Reply #86
If he’s not hitting his KPI’s why would you play him ?

I don't know what his KPI's are - I have no idea what he's meeting or not meeting. I simply think he should be given a block of games just to see how he goes at AFL level. I know he was injured early in his career, but he's entering he's 3rd season now. Give him a chance. Gold Coast aren't exactly bursting with talent. Etihad, for all its faults, is a fast track - we are now supposedly playing more attacking, faster ball movement etc. Perfect chance for a newbie KPF to show us something.

Darcy Fogarty, Paddy Dow, Tom Lynch, Josh Kennedy, were starting 22 from the get go. Why does McKay have to be on slow burn for so long ? I'm not advocating throwing him to the wolves. Just give him some game time. It's not like we're compromising our chances of a flag.

Reply #87
I don't know what his KPI's are - I have no idea what he's meeting or not meeting. I simply think he should be given a block of games just to see how he goes at AFL level. I know he was injured early in his career, but he's entering he's 3rd season now. Give him a chance. Gold Coast aren't exactly bursting with talent. Etihad, for all its faults, is a fast track - we are now supposedly playing more attacking, faster ball movement etc. Perfect chance for a newbie KPF to show us something.

Darcy Fogarty, Paddy Dow, Tom Lynch, Josh Kennedy, were starting 22 from the get go. Why does McKay have to be on slow burn for so long ? I'm not advocating throwing him to the wolves. Just give him some game time. It's not like we're compromising our chances of a flag.

That’s the point of my comment about him not OBVIOUSLY NOT meeting his KPI’s... if he was meeting them he would be getting a game.
Like you I don’t know what his KPI’s are either, but I’m sure they’ll change and develop over time, hopefully like the man himself... but no gifting of games, we’ve gone past that garbage.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #88
That’s the point of my comment about him not OBVIOUSLY NOT meeting his KPI’s... if he was meeting them he would be getting a game.
Like you I don’t know what his KPI’s are either, but I’m sure they’ll change and develop over time, hopefully like the man himself... but no gifting of games, we’ve gone past that garbage.

I'm all for giving young men blocks of games if it helps their long term development.

Reply #89

Josh Kennedy from the world go? Don't think so. Tom Lynch was as the Gold Coast were a new team at the time. Kennedy never did any good until his 2nd year with the Eagles. Certainly not at Carlton although he should potential in our VFL team, as McKay has.

Fogarty and Dow were a different issue, they're midfielders