Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #90
I'll pay you Kennedy to some extent although as I pointed out he played 22 senior games in his two years at Carlton, but most if not all of the good key forwards were regular senior players by their 3rd season, Carey was Captain of North by then if memory serves.
I'd be happy if he was just getting a game, I don't expect him to be setting the world on fire early in his career.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91
I'll pay you Kennedy to some extent although as I pointed out he played 22 senior games in his two years at Carlton, but most if not all of the good key forwards were regular senior players by their 3rd season,...............
I'd be happy if he was just getting a game, I don't expect him to be setting the world on fire early in his career.

Agree, time to get him in there and blood the youngster.

Reply #92
I'll pay you Kennedy to some extent although as I pointed out he played 22 senior games in his two years at Carlton, but most if not all of the good key forwards were regular senior players by their 3rd season, Carey was Captain of North by then if memory serves.

Injuries haven't helped his cause. Even that turf toe has lingered alot longer over preseason. Similar to Kennedy he has showed potential in the VFL. The way the game's set up these days he it's harder to play two key forwards. Levi's still entrenched, for now at least, and then we have C.Curnow in the other key role and even sometimes Cripps up there too when he's taking a break from the midfield. He could play as a key forward as well as he's does a midfielder if we ever decided to go down that path. McKay will eventually take Levi's role. The one I do like in the VFL amongst our key forwards is Kerr.

Reply #93
Agree, time to get him in there and blood the youngster.

No-where to fit him in the current structure. We keep making him emergency.

Reply #94
No-where to fit him in the current structure. We keep making him emergency.

I'm sure if the club wanted to play him, they could make room. At any rate, if we get to the end of the 2018 season, and he's only managed a few games.............

Reply #95
The one I do like in the VFL amongst our key forwards is Kerr.

Kerr has got an awfully long way to go in my opinion, from what I've seen of him he does a few nice things but doesn't get involved enough in the game, he also lacks a yard of pace.
McKay has the physical attributes at least but maybe he's just not up to the required standard, time will tell. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #96
The way the game's set up these days he it's harder to play two key forwards.

You can still play 3+ key defenders though.

Still trying to work out the logic there.

Reply #97
Kerr has got an awfully long way to go in my opinion, from what I've seen of him he does a few nice things but doesn't get involved enough in the game, he also lacks a yard of pace.
McKay has the physical attributes at least but maybe he's just not up to the required standard, time will tell.

What i've seen is Kerr reads it well, leads well, kicks well, smart player, and good in a contested situation. Fraser was a real wrap for him last year. I felt he'd be a player.

Reply #98
What i've seen is Kerr reads it well, leads well, kicks well, smart player, and good in a contested situation. Fraser was a real wrap for him last year. I felt he'd be a player.

x2....Kerr needs some senior opportunities, some players really fastrack in the seniors when given a run of games...probably has a few more tricks than SOSOS IMO....

Reply #99
x2....Kerr needs some senior opportunities, some players really fastrack in the seniors when given a run of games...probably has a few more tricks than SOSOS IMO....

Not sure he's a smarter footballer than SoJ, he certainly isn't as agile or effective in traffic, but he is far more physical and brutal at the contest. I'd say Kerr is built and aggressive like Fogarty, he could be that sort of player for us. On the lead I'd think Kerr has Fogarty covered for pace.

If you put SoJ footy brains(not smarts brains) and work ethic into Kerr's physical attributes you'd have another Taylor Walker.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
The way the game's set up these days he it's harder to play two key forwards.

I don't think so, they are all migrating towards KPP size.

Teams are slowly becoming lists of players +190cm in size, the HFFs and HBFs are KPP size from a decade or two ago!

What's Cripps now, 6'5" (195cm), similar in size to Weitering and Rowe!

KPPs are not going to scale in size relative to midfielders, it's just going to even out!

And you are writing this the day after Adelaide made Nthmond's single KPF structure looked mighty brittle. Adelaide going with Walker and Jenkins looked reliable, they kicked 9 goals between them, and the had Fogarty at about 194cm x 95kg roaming around besides them as a HFF!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
I don't think so, they are all migrating towards KPP size.

Teams are slowly becoming lists of players +190cm in size, the HFFs and HBFs are KPP size from a decade or two ago!

What's Cripps now, 6'5" (195cm), similar in size to Weitering and Rowe!

KPPs are not going to scale in size relative to midfielders, it's just going to even out!

And you are writing this the day after Adelaide made Nthmond's single KPF structure looked mighty brittle. Adelaide going with Walker and Jenkins looked reliable, they kicked 9 goals between them, and the had Fogarty at about 194cm x 95kg roaming around besides them as a HFF!

What i'm saying is hard to played two genuinely trained key forwards. The taller midfielder is playing that second role. We have the perfect players in Curnow and Cripps for that.

Yes, but in a big final where counted it was much tougher for Adelaide against Richmond. If there's a lack of pressure a few talls can cut you up. Finals pressure a different game. Richmond's game is based on pressure, without it their system isn't as good.

Reply #102
You can still play 3+ key defenders though.

Still trying to work out the logic there.

Depends on who you're playing against too I suppose. Need them against Adelaide, not so much against Richmond. Finals becomes different again due to the pressure. One key forward is a must, 2 maybe not if you can get a couple a taller marking mids floating /resting there, which is more ideal.

Reply #103
I'm not concerned about H just yet. This is essentially his 2nd year considering injury, which continues to burden his development. Albeit different to his initial back problem. Talls take time as we all know. If Harry's body  shape tells us anything it's that he's growing and changing despite the challenge of healing from injuries.

A fair question to ask is: how is Harry's development compared to his twin brother? Pretty sure Ben hasn't seen much game time yet. And that's for a team with a list arguably worse than ours.

Patience grasshopper.
I've got confidence in our club to balance injury management with development and long term benefit for the club. My hope is that he's ready to play regularly when big Levi steps down (or into alternate role - standard disclaimer thanks to Jonesy :)))

Go Blues 

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #104
If they are good enough I think you can play 3 tall forwards.

SOSOS plays as a medium tall so we've really been running with that for 12 months now anyway. But with O'Shea replacing him I have no clue what the forward line will be tomorrow.

I assume Thomas and Cunningham and co will rotate through there to make us smaller but more likely is one of the tall defenders like Marchbank or Weitering will spend time as wing / forward. It will be an extremely tall backline otherwise.