Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 3 : Pre Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon  (Read 31209 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 3 : Pre Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #30
Im still hurting from last yr.  >:( >:(
I hate Ess. >:( >:( >:( >:(
 I'm not a real hater of anything really but the Ess footy club........ ( I just vomited a little in my mouth typing their name )
I HATE !

They had arguably 8 to 10 of their 1st choice players out last time round and they still pulled our pants down :o......... I'm sick of our club being their BIATCH !

Time for our boys to draw that preverbial "line in the sand" and take the game up to these bunch of - no good, drug cheating,  smug , nancy boy €¥ ! ;/$ ..................

Cmon blues. Nothing will do more for our collective pride ( and membership while we're at it ) than a win this week.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #31
Shawny, it was Simmo's 250th.

I think their forwards in Daniher and Orazio "Stu Cazzio" Fantasia are pretty handy. Their better mids in Heppell and Zac are in good form and in a good age /experience bracket. Our main guys Murph and Gibbs are starting to trail off a little. Jobe, like Simmo, was never fast, but he looks slower and more lumbering than usual. Still strong though, and still a good use of the footy.

Our record against them recently goes something like this :
2008-2012 : 4 wins, 1 draw, 6 losses
2013-2016 : 1 win, 1 draw, 5 losses.

Although one is better than the other, neither of those records is real flash.

I hope you're right about the win, but I don't see it happening.
[/

I agree they have had our measure for too long but IMO thats cause then seem to grow another leg when they face us rather than beating us based on pure ability. 

The forwards you mention are handy but no world beaters. I rate our defence as a strength and with marchbank and mccredie in I think we can stop them kicking a big score.

Melb have way more forward options and we closed them down pretty well.

Reply #32

Weitering stays forward with Jack Silvagni and Harry McKay.

Outs for me are - Armfield, White and Casboult.

Bring in - Cuningham, Fisher and McKay

Five first year players. Plus Jack and Charlie.

They would beat us by over 100 points.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #33
I tell you what, this is a big game for us.

Id be dropping your non event non contributer learners for this week, and bringing in Rhys Palmer and whoever else has a mature body to deal with the sort of work the Bombers will put into us.

Palmer in particular is a must for this one and I reckon bring back Kerridge too, and sit him on Merret.

The kids should get an education against teams that are not going to be ruthless at the contest, and that is what I have seen from the Bombers.  We need to protect the younger kids in some matches, and this is one of them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34

Id be dropping your non event non contributer learners for this week, and bringing in Rhys Palmer and whoever else has a mature body to deal with the sort of work the Bombers will put into us.

Palmer in particular is a must for this one and I reckon bring back Kerridge too, and sit him on Merret.

The kids should get an education against teams that are not going to be ruthless at the contest, and that is what I have seen from the Bombers.  We need to protect the younger kids in some matches, and this is one of them.

I tend to agree, it's the perfect game to give blokes any who want to make a career saving statement an opportunity! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Five first year players. Plus Jack and Charlie.

They would beat us by over 100 points.

I reckon that would be nine players with 10 games or less.  They would beat us by 200 points.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
I reckon that would be nine players with 10 games or less.  They would beat us by 200 points.

That would be the trigger for Watson and Lloyd to start the tanking debate!

You can almost hear Barrett, Ralph and Flubbo drooling at the thought of it! ;)

The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

Yes, I'd like to see Palmer and Kerridge in the 22 this week.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
I think ita a huge game but with huge rival games its a chance for young and old players to make a statement of intent! Yes were a young side! But young doesnt mean not good enough! I think its a great chance for our younger players to really show what were made of!

Palmer kerridge would be great additions for strength and knock ability mixed with youth i fancy us suprising people

Last week everyone predicted a cricket score but if we had kicked a little bit better we would have slain the dees

Same again this week i think personally we can do it

Reply #39
Shawny, I appreciate what you're saying. Their list might not be world beaters, but they're good enough to beat us, and for this game, that's all that matters. I reckon their list is good enough to just sneak into the 8.

I agree our defense is good, but apart from Wright, our forward line is not. And we run into the same recurring problem, which is how do we kick a winning score. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see it.

Reply #40

I'd agree we need to bring in some mature players...Bombers think they have the physical advantage over us and I expect them to go hard on our young blokes so I wouldnt be putting anymore newbie kids in the team and I think another taller player is also necessary...either Jones or Jaksch.
Kerridge on Merrett reads ok to me and I'd have E.Curnow on Heppell...

Reply #41
Im still hurting from last yr.  >:( >:(
I hate Ess. >:( >:( >:( >:(
 I'm not a real hater of anything really but the Ess footy club........ ( I just vomited a little in my mouth typing their name )
I HATE !

They had arguably 8 to 10 of their 1st choice players out last time round and they still pulled our pants down :o......... I'm sick of our club being their BIATCH !

Time for our boys to draw that preverbial "line in the sand" and take the game up to these bunch of - no good, drug cheating,  smug , nancy boy €¥ ! ;/$ ..................

Cmon blues. Nothing will do more for our collective pride ( and membership while we're at it ) than a win this week.

And right there BigBlue has summed up what we all want to say and feel.  :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #42
The major issue with Kerridge is he is soft. And his skills are VFL at best. Sorry, I don't want those peanuts from Essendon shoving us around and blokes like Kerridge, Boekhorst and the like squibbing it again, as they have done b4. Add a number of more so called 'senior' players to that list too.

I get the kids theme - I think those kids though stood up better than Murphy, Gibbs and co last week when the heat was on - so each to their own. The way our kids stood up - was a MAJOR tick for Bolts, SOS and the young players themselves. We tipped Hogan and Lewis over the edge. Thanks boys! Suckers!!! Did you see how Weitering went at Lewis without even hesitating. Yep, give me more of this robust, young, red hot blooded kids whose blood boils when another young teammate cops a sucker punch or has opposition hassling them. They're ready!

I'd back in our kids compared to that of our so called 'mature' age players. Sorry, no thanks.

Reply #43
The major issue with Kerridge is he is soft. And his skills are VFL at best. Sorry, I don't want those peanuts from Essendon shoving us around and blokes like Kerridge, Boekhorst and the like squibbing it again, as they have done b4. Add a number of more so called 'senior' players to that list too.

I get the kids theme - I think those kids though stood up better than Murphy, Gibbs and co last week when the heat was on - so each to their own. The way our kids stood up - was a MAJOR tick for Bolts, SOS and the young players themselves. We tipped Hogan and Lewis over the edge. Thanks boys! Suckers!!! Did you see how Weitering went at Lewis without even hesitating. Yep, give me more of this robust, young, red hot blooded kids whose blood boils when another young teammate cops a sucker punch or has opposition hassling them. They're ready!

I'd back in our kids compared to that of our so called 'mature' age players. Sorry, no thanks.

Relative to who on our list?

Not sure you can put Kerridge in the same category as Boekhorst, or how you even arrived at that conclusion.

Kerridge has never had trouble winning the ball at stoppages when working inside, the thing everybody hates about him is his use of the ball and apparent lack of leg speed. I don't see much difference between Kerridge and Graham, and Graham might have many deficiencies but he is not soft.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Relative to who on our list?

Not sure you can put Kerridge in the same category as Boekhorst, or how you even arrived at that conclusion.

Kerridge has never had trouble winning the ball at stoppages when working inside, the thing everybody hates about him is his use of the ball and apparent lack of leg speed. I don't see much difference between Kerridge and Graham, and Graham might have many deficiencies but he is not soft.

He's soft alright. Add to that he's a fumbler and average ball user. Good size physique though.