Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 27117 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #75
It would be just nice to hit the jackpot with ONE of the blokes we've acquired from GWS.

Reply #76

Reid will probably get Goddard and Mihocek might get Weitering or Marchbank...the brains trust might be tempted to start Weitering on DeGoey if he is just playing from the square.

Watch where McGovern lines up, we might be surprised.

Reply #77
It would be just nice to hit the jackpot with ONE of the blokes we've acquired from GWS.

Id like to think Setterfield is the Jackpot.
Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #78

Id like to think Setterfield is the Jackpot.

Not sure about jackpot, but I feel all of them (Setters, Marchbank, Plowman and Kennedy) can become good players for us. Some just need luck with injuries, game time and selection, and someone like Plowman I think is suffering as a result of Docherty's absence. He finished 7th in the 2017 B+F, the last season Doc played.

Reply #79
Tomlinson or his manager announced his intention to stay at GWS days before trading closed, the rest is just press speculation based around the delayed timing of contracts being signed.

As Carlton fans we a predisposed to believe we were still in with a chance, we want to believe it to be true.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/15/tomlinson-trade-still-alive-mcclure/

It was the 2016 draft period, we did most of our trading with gws just before the deadline.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/15/tomlinson-trade-still-alive-mcclure/

It was the 2016 draft period, we did most of our trading with gws just before the deadline.

Maybe I'm getting more than one trade period confused, but I'm pretty sure Tomlinson came out and stated last time we had a crack that he'd honor his contracts before the trade period ended. The same year we trade in Caleb Marchbank which was 2016.

That even fits with the title of Sam Maclure's article, which implies a contradiction.

I can't specifically recall the 2014 trade offers that are alleged, that'll all be hearsay now.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
Tomlinson is an upgrade on Marchbank and Plowman, seen him play well in the finals too, you look at Jones out this week and we are relying on a newbie
in Goddard to fill in. Seen Tomlinson play well on Buddy and he can also play wing and even seen him do some rucking.
IMO he is the best of the free agents apart from Coniglio and I'd be putting in the hard yards to get him and getting the cheque book out.

Reply #83
Agree EB. Problem is presenting the club as an appealing destination for free agents. We had that problem when Malthouse was coach and never seemed to be able to land one. We got Thomas at a time when he was buggered with injury and it cost us a compensation pick for Betts. To his credit, Thomas has been pretty handy in the last few years but not a patch on what the club would've been anticipating when they got him. For the most part, free agents from clubs who haven't won flags or tasted finals success will go to those clubs...not ones anchored on or near the bottom...unless they're driven purely by $$$.

Reply #84
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/beams-in-doubt-for-carlton-clash-20190509-p51ln4.html

Probably stating the bleeding obvious but reckon if we get a fully fit McGovern and Kruezer in for Phillips and Casboult and then they lose Adams and now Beams and Cox is already out....and if and its a very big if, we can recapture the form we had against the Hawks (excluding the 3rd quarter) this game could be a lot closer than many expect.

Or Kruezer wont get up, we could start poorly be down by 5 goals at quarter time and lose by 90.

I'm hate blaming injuries but do think last week losing the 4 players we did really unbalanced us and forced us to field a team that was just too young and lost 2 leaders out of defence 1 leader in the middle and another up forward...left many lines too light on for games played.

The ins this week IMO will determine if we can be very competitive or whether its likely to be a smashing.

Reply #85

I'm hate blaming injuries but do think last week losing the 4 players we did really unbalanced us and forced us to field a team that was just too young and lost 2 leaders out of defence 1 leader in the middle and another up forward...left many lines too light on for games played.

Not blaming injuries is a necessary technique to approach the season or game with a particularly positive, non defeatist mindset. In much the same way that Malthouse or any other coach says they can't see losing a game. If you go in to a game thinking you can't win, you're already half way to losing.

Whilst I understand the psychology, in reality not taking into account injuries as a reason for losses is nonsense. Club wouldn't bother with all the research, trying to recruit the best players etc, if any 22 can rock up and win. Imagine a team full of Aaron Mullets because all the Cripps' are injured.

Reply #86
Agree EB. Problem is presenting the club as an appealing destination for free agents. We had that problem when Malthouse was coach and never seemed to be able to land one. We got Thomas at a time when he was buggered with injury and it cost us a compensation pick for Betts. To his credit, Thomas has been pretty handy in the last few years but not a patch on what the club would've been anticipating when they got him. For the most part, free agents from clubs who haven't won flags or tasted finals success will go to those clubs...not ones anchored on or near the bottom...unless they're driven purely by $$$.

And there you have it.

I would hate to be SOS if, coming into this trade period, we're about where we are now. Our successes of the 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s are now irrelevant. We're not a destination side.

How things have changed for SOS.

Who here would like to sell us to a Coniglio or Tomlinson or similar? What would you say to them to make them choose us over just about any other side?

(I hate being what seems to be a voice of doom... but, if you're objective and impartial, we're a flop and have been since 2002 bar 2010/11).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #87
Probably stating the bleeding obvious but reckon if we get a fully fit McGovern and Kruezer in for Phillips and Casboult and then they lose Adams and now Beams and Cox is already out....and if and its a very big if, we can recapture the form we had against the Hawks (excluding the 3rd quarter) this game could be a lot closer than many expect.

Or Kruezer wont get up, we could start poorly be down by 5 goals at quarter time and lose by 90.

The ins this week IMO will determine if we can be very competitive or whether its likely to be a smashing.

Collingwood have a lot of depth in the midfield and like I said before I expected them to manage some players(ie Beams), like Essendon we always seem to lift for these traditional rival games
and I expect us to be competitive, they are ultra cocky and might come in with a lazy attitude so there is hope.
We need a real crape standard game with plenty of contests where we can slow them up, frustrate them and hopefully our players who can win us games like Cripps, Harry, Charlie, Mcgovern fire upand take us to victory. Its not likely but there is some hope given the backs to the wall nature of the game for us and the players must know every loss is a nail in the coffin of Bolton.
Collingwood to lose the game rather than we win it...Blues by 5 points over a very cocky Collingwood and their equally cocky big mouthed Prez.....

Reply #88
Not blaming injuries is a necessary technique to approach the season or game with a particularly positive, non defeatist mindset. In much the same way that Malthouse or any other coach says they can't see losing a game. If you go in to a game thinking you can't win, you're already half way to losing.

Whilst I understand the psychology, in reality not taking into account injuries as a reason for losses is nonsense. Club wouldn't bother with all the research, trying to recruit the best players etc, if any 22 can rock up and win. Imagine a team full of Aaron Mullets because all the Cripps' are injured.

Very rare for any side to field their best 22.

I recall a brief period in '95 when we were without Sticks and Diesel... and didn't miss a beat. Happens you've a deep and talented list and a winning culture.

Inexperienced players and a fragile culture leads to a heavy reliance on individuals.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #89
McGovern, Kreuzer and Setterfield in for Phillips, Jones and O'Brien.

Pies lose Beams and Addams and bring in Mayne and Wills. And still no Cox.

I can see McGovern filling a hole down back at times during the game? With Cox out they don't have any real big talls other than Reid so hopefully Weitering can mind him. Not sure who gets Mihocek thought? He's a reasonably hard bloke to match up on and will have Marchbank struggling. But with no Beams or Adams it brings their midfield back a peg which is a bonus.