Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 27107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #135
If the game plan and tactics determine that sMurph has to lay tackles we are in trouble.

I'd play Murphy on Philips, the latter is usually good for 25-30 possies a game and is very under rated and damaging, he isnt physical
or overly big and plays a nice clean game which might suit Murphy who played a negative role on the Bulldogs Hunter a few weeks back and did ok.

Murphy needs handpicked opponents these days and if none suit then you have to ask the question if he belongs in the team.

Reply #136
If the game plan and tactics determine that sMurph has to lay tackles we are in trouble.

Here we go, special conditions because he does so much else.
FFS you can't have players that let them team work down.
He doesn't offer much else, if he can't add pressure he shouldn't be out there.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses all I farken here for this bloke.

Can't play here, can't play there, shouldn't have to do this.,

No wonder we are shiiitt.

Reply #137
What has happened to Levi's marking?

He was probably the best in the comp 2 or 3 years ago.
Our coaches got to him and 'Developed' him!  ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #138
Here we go, special conditions because he does so much else.
FFS you can't have players that let them team work down.
He doesn't offer much else, if he can't add pressure he shouldn't be out there.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses all I farken here for this bloke.

Can't play here, can't play there, shouldn't have to do this.,

No wonder we are shiiitt.

Not at all, as EB1 points out your coach has to put players in roles that suit them, using their strengths to advantage not exposing their weaknesses.

Opposition coaches would be hell bent on forcing sMurph inside contests, and leaving Cripps or Setterfield trying to spread on the outside. No different to forcing McKay or Levi to compete for ground ball while allowing small forwards to fly for the ball, remember the bad old days of Betts as FF, or Yarran tagging, or Tutt at the coalface?

It's a football basic so I don't get why you are so disbelieving of a basic truth, that good coaches and MCs work with what they have got to it's greatest advantage.

Perhaps stop letting your emotions rule your brain!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
Our coaches got to him and 'Developed' him!  ;)

Let's face it, any reasonable form from McGovern, Charlie or McKay and Levi's in 4th spot, it's just the reality of the situation so it's fair he looks at 2nd Ruck as an option. But if wants 2nd ruck then he better develop some 2nd efforts and physical presence!

Some fans are touting McGovern to CHB this week, but do not be at all surprised to find Levi starting there, he spent a good portion of pre-season training with the defensive crew. But he is clearly down that pecking order as well.

In any case, it's pretty clear Levi's kicks better around or outside the F50 mark. So I think 2nd rucking and floating between D50 and CHF is his go. Keep him away from deep inside F50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Not at all, as EB1 points out your coach has to put players in roles that suit them, using their strengths to advantage not exposing their weaknesses.

Opposition coaches would be hell bent on forcing sMurph inside contests, and leaving Cripps or Setterfield trying to spread on the outside. No different to forcing McKay or Levi to compete for ground ball while allowing small forwards to fly for the ball, remember the bad old days of Betts as FF, or Yarran tagging, or Tutt at the coalface?

It's a football basic so I don't get why you are so disbelieving of a basic truth, that good coaches and MCs work with what they have got to it's greatest advantage.

Perhaps stop letting your emotions rule your brain!

Nothing emotional about it all,

Just sick of the excuses.

He isn't up to it, and hasn't been for a while.

Reply #141
LP...without Cox, I'm not sure Levi needs to play back with Weitering and Marchbank down there. They've only got Mihocek and Reid as "talls" and Reid will play backup ruck as well. If it's just to plug a whole then McGovern might be better value with his intercept marking and kicking....Levi coming outta the backline trying to hit a target might not work! Our problem will be there small/medium forwards and plays on them....Elliott, Stephenson, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliott etc.

As for Charlie, he needs to find something this week or Bolton should make a similar statement to Clarkson. We can't keep carrying him if he's not contributing anything.

Reply #142
Early showers, greasy conditions, will not favor our tall setup.

Especially given over the last six or so quarters of footy outside of Jones or Weitering our talls have barely taken a mark! McKay, Levi, Marchbank, Cripps even McGovern all have the fumbles.

Get Podsiadly down on a contract to get them sorted, the bloke had the best contested marking and wet weather marking technique I've ever seen!

Saturday 11 May
SummaryMin 9Max 17Possible shower.Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mmChance of any rain: 40% 
Melbourne area
Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers in the southeast suburbs, medium (50%) chance elsewhere. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light early in the morning then becoming northwest to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning.

With the wind, it'll be dry as a button come game time....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143
LP...without Cox, I'm not sure Levi needs to play back with Weitering and Marchbank down there. They've only got Mihocek and Reid as "talls" and Reid will play backup ruck as well. If it's just to plug a whole then McGovern might be better value with his intercept marking and kicking....Levi coming outta the backline trying to hit a target might not work! Our problem will be there small/medium forwards and plays on them....Elliott, Stephenson, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliott etc.

As for Charlie, he needs to find something this week or Bolton should make a similar statement to Clarkson. We can't keep carrying him if he's not contributing anything.

Levi might not get the time and space he needs, but when he does find space he is not a bad field kick, but he's not a Weitering either so you make a fair point.

However, Levi can launch and spoil with conviction, and when pushed he can hurt opponents as well with tackles and momentum, can he go with Reid once the ball hits the ground?

I fear Reid will muscle Marchbank, for a player of that size Marchbank is probably the least physical player I've ever seen.

Weitering must get Mihocek, we've no other option.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
Nothing emotional about it all,

Just sick of the excuses.

He isn't up to it, and hasn't been for a while.

Yes, proving the absolute obvious, like sMurph isn't physically intimidating like Joel Selwood.

You'd fail horribly as a coach, you'd be so hell bent on putting your charges in circumstances that prove their shortcomings, you'd waste all their available talent!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
I fear that we'll play Reid back into form in much the same way we did with Brown last week. Not sure what size Williamson is but he might be an option for Mihocek but agree, Marchbank will get pushed aside too easy by either of those two.

I still think Levi is a better option as backup ruckman than taking McKay out of the forward line....his contested marking has been the feature of his game this year and he's more potent when taking them up forward. Charlie is the one that needs to pull his finger out this week. And I'd still have Ed following one of Pendlebury/Sidebottom around....let either of those off the leash to rack up 30+ possessions and their forwards will dine out.

Reply #146
I fear that we'll play Reid back into form in much the same way we did with Brown last week. Not sure what size Williamson is but he might be an option for Mihocek but agree, Marchbank will get pushed aside too easy by either of those two.

I still think Levi is a better option as backup ruckman than taking McKay out of the forward line....his contested marking has been the feature of his game this year and he's more potent when taking them up forward. Charlie is the one that needs to pull his finger out this week. And I'd still have Ed following one of Pendlebury/Sidebottom around....let either of those off the leash to rack up 30+ possessions and their forwards will dine out.

x2

btw., I liked BBs pre-game presser, https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2019-05-10/bolton-previews-pies, but I'm not so confident our kids are all that good yet at blocking out the noise as he suggests. But I'll take him at his word.

On a separate issue, SpecialK back is massive, his experience and he's played well against Grundy previously. I like the no runners rule, but I concede our inexperienced team suffers under that rule, so getting an experienced player back in the heat is massive for us.

I realise the MC is probably doing it for a reason, but I feel over the last couple of games they have been a bit slow moving our experienced types back into traditional roles. Especially given you cannot send out a bunch of runners to instruct the kids.

Could the AFL change the runners rule, so that teams that didn't make finals last year can have an extra runner, it would be a great leveller?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147

Reid was in fair form last week for the Pies, kicked 1.4 though, Mihocek probably has a couple of cm on Williamson but would be too strong for him body wise. Tom still looks a bit underdone physically, I'd play him on Stephenson who is the same height but doesnt play in a physical manner and prefers to find space and always seems to be the man on the end of the joe the goose goals
Problem matchups will be Elliott and DeGoey...no obvious players in our lineup to take them, hoping DeGoey plays midfield more with Beams and Adams out..... dont sell Rupert Wills short either, big unit for a mid and been tearing it up in the twos and would be playing more seniors if the Pies were not so deep.
Fisher for Sidebottom, Ed for Treloar and Dow for Pendlebury...Cripps will get Greenwood regardless of what we want anyway with maybe Mayne rotating with Greenwood....

Have the feeling McGovern may start down back this week, maybe even on DeGoey...Bolton indicated in his presser we may get more creative which is good for the team and him as he is fairly rigid and subdued with his creative side when it comes to tactics IMO.

Reply #148
Have the feeling McGovern may start down back this week, maybe even on DeGoey...Bolton indicated in his presser we may get more creative which is good for the team and him as he is fairly rigid and subdued with his creative side when it comes to tactics IMO.

I hope they don't stuff Weiters around!

Is SoJ a chance of a run with role on Reid, his fathers son? I think Reid is not the lightning quick player he was for his size, and SoJ certainly has his old man's core strength and work ethic. I think SoJ now has the size, at least close enough. Harass, pester, spoil, scrag, interrupt, interfere, irritate, start of a new Silvagni era!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
I hope they don't stuff Weiters around!

Is SoJ a chance of a run with role on Reid, his fathers son? I think Reid is not the lightning quick player he was for his size, and SoJ certainly has his old man's core strength and work ethic. I think SoJ now has the size, at least close enough. Harass, pester, spoil, scrag, interrupt, interfere, irritate, start of a new Silvagni era!

Reid has never been quick and has only got slower and with less hair but he is a very very strong mark and I wouldnt want SOSOS on him in any one on ones near goal....
I talked about McGovern playing on DeGoey, the other creative move if McGovern didnt go down back would be to play Casboult on Reid....might happen.