Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 27108 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #150
Yes, proving the absolute obvious, like sMurph isn't physically intimidating like Joel Selwood.

You'd fail horribly as a coach, you'd be so hell bent on putting your charges in circumstances that prove their shortcomings, you'd waste all their available talent!

You would just keep playing guys that won’t take their turn.
And that’s where you would fail.
Clarkson doesn’t cop it, but you would.

They don’t call it a team game for nothing.
Not everyone needs to be Luke Hodge, but if it’s your turn to tackle or take physical pressure you should.

Especially when you’re supposedly a leader.

Reply #151
I'm with you JH, for a supposed team leader he's been less than underwhelming.  Stand up or piss off IMO.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #152
If we had much to bring in I'd agree.

It sounds like we are dropping Murphy for the sake of it to bring in someone else who isnt up to it.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face.

That's not the sort of club culture we want.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #153
If we had much to bring in I'd agree.

It sounds like we are dropping Murphy for the sake of it to bring in someone else who isnt up to it.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face.

That's not the sort of club culture we want.

That’s exactly what we want.
It’s setting standards that we have refused to do for years, hence the pathetic club we are today.

We just keep accepting the same pathetic half efforts and it will not change unless the match committee and Bolton make a stand.

LOB sees it and thinks I will play the same way.
SPS will follow suit and soon enough another group is lost.

We should have sent Murphy to Brisbane, not Mitch Robinson.

Reply #154
That’s exactly what we want.
It’s setting standards that we have refused to do for years, hence the pathetic club we are today.

We just keep accepting the same pathetic half efforts and it will not change unless the match committee and Bolton make a stand.

LOB sees it and thinks I will play the same way.
SPS will follow suit and soon enough another group is lost.

We should have sent Murphy to Brisbane, not Mitch Robinson.

We simply dont have enough class to bring in to allow the removal of a player because he can't be thug.

Or are you saying we should play polson and Kennedy??

Dow needs to be dropped too. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #155
It's not about being a thug, that's crap, its about 100% commitment.  Its about pure, unadultered will to win, and damn the consequences.

I'm having trouble putting this into words, and maybe its just perceptions resulting from two bottles of red and 20 years of abject frustration, but there's been an issue at the club for a long time.   Blokes that run around and look like they're engaged, but they're aren't.   The kind that get a reasonable number of possessions but don't influence the game.  They lay tackles that rarely stick, they chase but the opponent always gets away, they never seem to quite get into position to block or spoil or whatever.  They chase kicks and don't worry about their opponent.  Its frustrating because as players they are more than capable  of meaningful contributions.

Maybe they are just perennially unlucky and their tackles are all broken by stronger players.  Maybe they lack or have lost a yard and their opponents break clear from contests and they get left trailing a few steps behind.  But I can't believe this, because its a pattern.

There's an exCFC player now at Adelaide who was the epitome of this kind of player. 

Cripps was pretty cut and dried about commitment  this week.  I wouldn't want to be the teammate who came off on Saturday giving less than 100% .
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #156
x2

btw., I liked BBs pre-game presser, https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2019-05-10/bolton-previews-pies, but I'm not so confident our kids are all that good yet at blocking out the noise as he suggests. But I'll take him at his word.

On a separate issue, SpecialK back is massive, his experience and he's played well against Grundy previously. I like the no runners rule, but I concede our inexperienced team suffers under that rule, so getting an experienced player back in the heat is massive for us.

I realise the MC is probably doing it for a reason, but I feel over the last couple of games they have been a bit slow moving our experienced types back into traditional roles. Especially given you cannot send out a bunch of runners to instruct the kids.

Could the AFL change the runners rule, so that teams that didn't make finals last year can have an extra runner, it would be a great leveller?

I support Bolton but I didn’t enjoy his press conference at all. Specifically, he can’t be serious claiming that we’ve only been disappointed with 4 quarters this year given we’re 1-6. That’s delusional.

Reply #157
Adelaide worked him out Prof.  I had him at game number 1.  Timid. 

Reply #158
The amount of fantasising that goes on here. Gibbs was dropped for 1 game and was back in the next week. Roughead has also been dropped, for at least 1 game, and possibly indefinitely. Both have played over 250 games. But apparently Gibbs has finally been worked out, which means that the Crows were asleep at the wheel for more than a decade of Gibbs' career, and also failed to do their homework for 2 successive trade periods. Well clearly, if they want the real truth instead of fake news, they should come here. The place where people know footballers better than any coach, analyst, recruiter, scout etc. from a professional club.

And Murphy ? Ah Murph. 15 seasons, 5 coaches, dozens of team mates, assistant coaches, board members, journalists, and no one has been able to rein him in. He told Malthouse to f2ck off, he told Judd to f2ck off, any hard nut that gets in his way, he just mows them down, puts 'em in their place, and shows them who's boss. Because nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to tell Murphy that he has to get off his fat ar$e, pull his finger out and CONTRIBUTE. Nobody has been able to pull him aside and tell him to stop being such a softc0ck, no coach has dropped him, and nobody has been able to see this complete sham of a footballer, except the experts on here.

Thank God for footy forum experts.

Reply #159
We simply dont have enough class to bring in to allow the removal of a player because he can't be thug.

Or are you saying we should play polson and Kennedy??

Dow needs to be dropped too.

A thug?
If he tackles he’s a thug?

Serious?

Reply #160
The amount of fantasising that goes on here. Gibbs was dropped for 1 game and was back in the next week. Roughead has also been dropped, for at least 1 game, and possibly indefinitely. Both have played over 250 games. But apparently Gibbs has finally been worked out, which means that the Crows were asleep at the wheel for more than a decade of Gibbs' career, and also failed to do their homework for 2 successive trade periods. Well clearly, if they want the real truth instead of fake news, they should come here. The place where people know footballers better than any coach, analyst, recruiter, scout etc. from a professional club.

And Murphy ? Ah Murph. 15 seasons, 5 coaches, dozens of team mates, assistant coaches, board members, journalists, and no one has been able to rein him in. He told Malthouse to f2ck off, he told Judd to f2ck off, any hard nut that gets in his way, he just mows them down, puts 'em in their place, and shows them who's boss. Because nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to tell Murphy that he has to get off his fat ar$e, pull his finger out and CONTRIBUTE. Nobody has been able to pull him aside and tell him to stop being such a softc0ck, no coach has dropped him, and nobody has been able to see this complete sham of a footballer, except the experts on here.

You need a holiday Paul. Don't know what your drama is, but it's a big one....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #161

x2, reality is harsh for some, and it seems the sMurph haters have a miserable life!

Even from last weeks below average game for him, he was far far from being our worst.

FFS, Harry the Wunderkind, ball bombed long and high into the F50, to the advantage of a 206cm x 100kg ultramobile jumping leaping forward, you'd think defenders would be terrified, got 1 kick from 30 or so sparse entries, so few he hardly had to make an effort all day! Must have been tired! That's Casboult level output at it's best! Crickets from the regular offenders. But sMurph apparently gave away the crown jewels to the opposition and dragged the other 21 players down with him! What a superhuman effort, better and more lethal than Eddie Everywhere sending MM our way! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
You need a holiday Paul. Don't know what your drama is, but it's a big one....

Yeah, I'm all emotional and irrational. Must be that time of month. If only I could put up cogent, logical, convincing arguments like others on here.

And why must the kids only take the lead from Murphy ? They can't learn from Cripps, they can't learn from Kreuzer, they can't learn from Simpson ? No, those blokes are all out of the picture, and are incapable of showing the kids anything, because they all fall hopelessly under the spell of our No 3 ? Because Murphy is so terrifying that the other seniors don't want to interfere with his good work ?

Give it up.

Reply #163
A thug?
If he tackles he’s a thug?

Serious?

He's never going to be the type that could tackle with intent.  That left the moment his shoulder got smashed in his first season with us (because failed to protect him when he was a kid).

We are as culpable in that regard as he is.

Now we have bigger bodies let's make a statement and drop a bloke that leads our team most weeks for metres gained because he has one tackle on the score sheet instead of 3, even though his pressure acts are up there.

It's broken logic.

We dont have enough players staking a claim to do it.  We could drop 5 blokes who we are carrying most weeks before getting to Murphy in his poorest season and the only bloke who's a likely replacement is Kennedy and he isnt in sterling form.

I'd drop dow before Murphy at this stage.

Paul Hewson

Reply #164
He's never going to be the type that could tackle with intent.  That left the moment his shoulder got smashed in his first season with us (because failed to protect him when he was a kid).

We are as culpable in that regard as he is.

Now we have bigger bodies let's make a statement and drop a bloke that leads our team most weeks for metres gained because he has one tackle on the score sheet instead of 3, even though his pressure acts are up there.

It's broken logic.

We dont have enough players staking a claim to do it.  We could drop 5 blokes who we are carrying most weeks before getting to Murphy in his poorest season and the only bloke who's a likely replacement is Kennedy and he isnt in sterling form.

I'd drop dow before Murphy at this stage.

Dow needs to learn in the seniors not play with a bunch of bananas in the NB's who cant handle suburban footballers, he isnt in great form and I understand the thinking but our
twos are not the place to learn IMO. If Mick Barlow or someone capable was playing Full time and could take Dow under his wing and teach him then I would agree the NB's is fine but
with what I have seen Dow wouldnt learn anything.
Rather see him play on Pendlebury etc and learn from the best than get 20 kicks on Joe average in the twos and become the next Nick Graham....