Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79540 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #180
I doubt Bolton cares much who is named 'captain'. What he wants to develop is more leadership from all the players, that generates the kind of support and teamwork a sucessful team generates. A culture that means players are asking more of each other.
Murphy named captain. Great. But alot more needs to come from senior players especially on and off the field, regardless of who is in leadership groups or anointed with titles.

I think that's pretty close to the mark.  Murphy as captain is a no brainer but it is the leadership that comes from the other players that is critical and will help to determine how well the team performs.

Murphy reminds me a lot of Bobby Skilton, who was one of the outstanding captains of his era, but who used to get the cr@p belted out of him almost every game.  The Swans lacked leadership and the capacity to protect their skipper.

Bolton doesn't need a captain.

He needs a general.

Murphy will be captain.
We still don't have a general.

I'm really not sure what this means  ::)

Bolton's approach is to ensure that all players understand the team goals and how to achieve them.  The last thing he would want is someone else calling the shots.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #181
Bolton doesn't need a captain.

He needs a general.

Murphy will be captain.
We still don't have a general.

Noice!

This assumes Bolton's game plan is thug based liked the Angry Ant's version!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #182
Well to me it simply means that BB has now reviewed the current leadership stocks and has decided that the type of captain he really wants longer term is either not at the club yet or is not yet ready to take the captaincy. In the meantime he will continue with Murph and at the same time continue to develop our leadership qualities across the board. I don't have a problem with this and Murph will more than likely rise to the challenge - well I hope so anyway.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #183
Well to me it simply means that BB has now reviewed the current leadership stocks and has decided that the type of captain he really wants longer term is either not at the club yet or is not yet ready to take the captaincy. In the meantime he will continue with Murph and at the same time continue to develop our leadership qualities across the board. I don't have a problem with this and Murph will more than likely rise to the challenge - well I hope so anyway.

Perhaps Bolton has decided that Murphy is exactly the right person to lead the club back to where it should be.

I really struggle with the idea that Murphy is captain by default.  The night Ch 7 miked him up really showed how comfortable and effective he is in the role and how well his team mates responded to him.

I would have been very unhappy with Bolton if he had just gone along with the leadership structure put in place by the dickhead who was pretending to be our coach.  However, now that Bolton has had time to assess our leaders, I expect that Murphy will be provided with more support than he has enjoyed in the past.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #184
I really struggle with the idea that Murphy is captain by default. 

Tend to agree. Whilst I can for see future leaders in Cripps and Weitering, I doubt that Murph would have knocked Judd off despite his self relegation if the club did not feel he had credibility.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #185
I wouldn't use the word "default". He's the best candidate we've got atm.

Reply #186
Perhaps Bolton has decided that Murphy is exactly the right person to lead the club back to where it should be.

I really struggle with the idea that Murphy is captain by default.  The night Ch 7 miked him up really showed how comfortable and effective he is in the role and how well his team mates responded to him.

I would have been very unhappy with Bolton if he had just gone along with the leadership structure put in place by the dickhead who was pretending to be our coach.  However, now that Bolton has had time to assess our leaders, I expect that Murphy will be provided with more support than he has enjoyed in the past.

Me too.

That being said there are multiple layers to reviewing this decision and making no changes.

1.  Encourage more leaders to put their hands up and lead.
2.  Take ownership of the club and its leadership ensuring that it looks like you really are in control.
3.  Placate the masses who might have been critical of murph's leadership in the past that we do in fact have the right man in the role.

There was nothing to lose by reviewing the captaincy and making no changes or even making changes.

There was by just going through the motions.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #187
I reckon Smurph is a much better captain than given credit for, he just doesn't run around slogging people and have a group of sycophants in the media waxing lyrical about him at every opportunity.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #188
I reckon Smurph is a much better captain than given credit for, he just doesn't run around slogging people and have a group of sycophants in the media waxing lyrical about him at every opportunity.

Well he'll certainly have the opportunity to demonstrate that under BB now, if current  speculation is true. All the best to him.

Reply #189
Makes me wild when clueless supporters call him gutless... Got hammered in contests against far bigger men and only ever had eyes for the ball.  Dedicated trainer and doesn't get up to mischief off field.  A good example for others... Not everyone is a human battering ram.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #190

2011/2012 he was one of the best players in the comp. After he was appointed captain in 2013 he's no longer close to that bracket.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #191
I'm let's be honest not a lot of options either are there? Gibbs... No , jamo , to old , Kruz not on the park enough, Simo , to old now no point , Daisy , not on the park enough , running out for f options very quickly . Murph will be re appointed wouldn't say out of default , but lack of options play a part in it

Reply #192
2011/2012 he was one of the best players in the comp. After he was appointed captain in 2013 he's no longer close to that bracket.

Is that because of the captaincy or because he had to add a defensive aspect to his game?

Reply #193
simmo until he finishes. Then possibly cripps