Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79542 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #210
Yes - I would be extremely surprised (and pretty concerned) if he was 2017 Captain.

Interesting point of view. I think he is already the leader out there, and will be more so this year. Age nor title define who is ready to lead and when. If the argument is that it will be too much unecessary pressure too early then this is a different argument. I think players will follow him instinctively whereas I don't think Murph ever had that aura on the playing group.

*Simpson being the other.

Reply #211
Interesting point of view. I think he is already the leader out there, and will be more so this year. Age nor title define who is ready to lead and when. If the argument is that it will be too much unecessary pressure too early then this is a different argument. I think players will follow him instinctively whereas I don't think Murph ever had that aura on the playing group.

*Simpson being the other.

The problem is not how often the players follow Murph IMO, it's how often he leads by example. When he does do it he can inspire.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #212
Cripps is an interesting one.
We assume he will continue to develop...but there is a chance he could have an unremarkable year as there will no doubt be extra scrutiny on him given his standout performances at the end of the year.

I personally don't think that will happen...The more likely result will be that he will continue to improve to the extent that he becomes exactly what folk were talking about on the previous page...the team's "general."
In that case he would almost demand the captaincy...and allow for a generational change that would see him the leader for the next ten years...and that's exactly what we need.

Reply #213
If the team photograph is anything to go by, it will be Murphy(c) and Gibbs(vc).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #214
Cripps is an interesting one.
We assume he will continue to develop...but there is a chance he could have an unremarkable year as there will no doubt be extra scrutiny on him given his standout performances at the end of the year.

I personally don't think that will happen...The more likely result will be that he will continue to improve to the extent that he becomes exactly what folk were talking about on the previous page...the team's "general."
In that case he would almost demand the captaincy...and allow for a generational change that would see him the leader for the next ten years...and that's exactly what we need.

Seems like huge pressure of expectation on Cripps but he'll be OK IMO. Very level headed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #215
If the team photograph is anything to go by, it will be Murphy(c) and Gibbs(vc).

Agree....and its a worry...well intentioned but not the strong leadership we need IMO...caretakers only.

We will have to wait until Cripps, Weitering and others mature before we get the type of setup we need.

Reply #216
Agree....and its a worry...well intentioned but not the strong leadership we need IMO...caretakers only.

We will have to wait until Cripps, Weitering and others mature before we get the type of setup we need.

It will be interesting to see who else gets the nod for the leadership group.  Hopefully someone with a more robust leadership style and one of the leaders in waiting.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #217
Surely Cripps will be part of the leadership group even if he is not in a captaincy role this year?

Reply #218
Surely Cripps will be part of the leadership group even if he is not in a captaincy role this year?

Not according to Neil Craig who said Cripps has enough on his plate without being burdened with leadership responsibilities.  If that's their assessment then fair enough, let him concentrate on becoming a better footballer.

Reply #219
Not according to Neil Craig who said Cripps has enough on his plate without being burdened with leadership responsibilities.  If that's their assessment then fair enough, let him concentrate on becoming a better footballer.

Neil Craig is right IMO.

Reply #220

Yep picked this up too. However you look at the entire front Row...

Walker, Simpson, Docherty, White, Cripps, Rowe, Daisy (and a few others) are all the senior guys or what you would call leaders at the club. It was quite encouraging that we do have a core of experienced guys here to build with the young guys.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #222
Gibbs is set to be named captain for 2016, with Cripps to be named in an extended leadership group.

Reply #223
Gibbs is set to be named captain for 2016, with Cripps to be named in an extended leadership group.

If true then I'm surprised about Gibbs but not about Cripps.