Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79538 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #240
@ Wallsy

Some interesting theories there Wallsy. Personally I think we could well expect something of the unexpected in that the club has stated that it is "in a hurry" and so may be tempted to try and pull a rabbit or two out of the hat.

Speculation will certainly run wild if Murph is not re-appointed and makes way for someone else, especially Gibba!

This ^^^
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #241
I have difficulty imagining the captaincy being taken away from Murph against his will, especially if he is to be replaced by Gibbs. If it is going to happen then I would have thought that it is at his own request or with his agreement as part of an arrangement that he is included in. We'll see soon enough.
Opo supporters would have a field day if "Squibbs" (their name for him not mine) was made Captain.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #244
Gibbs is way tougher than Murphy.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #246
The sad thing for me is that they are tough to split when it comes to toughness. Not in a good way obviously.

Agree.

Murph has nether the physique nor the personality to be a leader, but I reckon he's done his best since he took on the role. He's had no protection, he's taken all the hits and dirty stuff that have come his way, and he's tried to lead as best he can, without complaint. And he deserves credit for that.

Reply #247
X2.  and he's a lot tougher than given credit for.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #248
The saddest thing is the lack of support for our captains, whether it be Judd, Murphy or whoever.

Murphy is fine, he gets belted week in week out and nobody stops, nobody remonstrates, our list is in general piss weak in this regard and that is not Murphy's fault!

Hopefully with Hendo out we might find a CHF/CHB who is a bit more aggressive and caring for the minnows that play around him! It's a pity we didn't pick up the twins, nobody looks after each other like twins do!

I suspect Gorringe and Philips will also offer far more than Warnock did in the past.

I want a team that has our opponents hearing some footsteps, not a team that jumps at shadows!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #249
Whilst there seems to be a certain amount of poo-pooing Murph because (among other things) he doesn't measure up to Hodge, if you have a few minutes, have a look at the 2015-2016 Captains of the other 16 teams. How many of those guys measure up to Hodge ? Not one that i could see. The King Sniper is a highly desirable, but possibly unfair standard.

Reply #250
Whilst there seems to be a certain amount of poo-pooing Murph because (among other things) he doesn't measure up to Hodge, if you have a few minutes, have a look at the 2015-2016 Captains of the other 16 teams. How many of those guys measure up to Hodge ? Not one that i could see. The King Sniper is a highly desirable, but possibly unfair standard.

Only two comparable to Murphy is the other Murphy (Bob) who is an inspirational speaker and Swallow who gets the same criticism from North fans as Murphy does.

The rest of the captains are as tough as nails.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #251
Spoke to the relative of a powerbroker today. Murphy will stay captain for the next two years and Cripps will then take over. According to him anyway.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #252
X2.  and he's a lot tougher than given credit for.
X2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #253
Only two comparable to Murphy is the other Murphy (Bob) who is an inspirational speaker and Swallow who gets the same criticism from North fans as Murphy does.

The rest of the captains are as tough as nails.

IMHO, tough as nails and an ability to lead / inspire / get the best out of your teammates are different things, and it is the latter that is far more important in leading a team.

And I wouldn't call Cotchin, Goddard or Pendles hard as nails. The first is rapidly becoming a dirty sniper, the second is a catastrophe in waiting,  and the third (whom I love as a player) has the protection of half his teammates, the umpires, and Eddie (which by implication includes the AFL.) Opposition players stay off him like he has a textbook case of leprosy. Must be the least tackled player in the AFL.

Reply #254
I think it's more that you can't tackle him re Pendlebury. Has a lot of the Rhys-Jones' about him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!