Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium (Read 82567 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium

Reply #180
This might sound strange but I actually think our guys were really nervous and hyped to start the match.

An adrenalin high when added to the first game these guys have played in 5 months, I'm not surprised we fell away halfway through the second. If we are doing that in round 3 I'll be worried .

Contrast the Hawks who were pretty casual starting out and just worked themselves into the game.

We will get better.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #181
...and we used half the rotations the Hawks did which wouldn't help.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #182
I've been wanting the Blues to be more desperate & physical for many years and after one game with Bolton at the helm, there is no doubt in my mind that we may not win a heap of games but we sure as hell will make the opposition earn it now.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #183
Thanks for the reports Raydan and Meddy43, interesting comment about Gorringe Raydan, you don't notice that sort of thing so much on the telly.

Kerridge was the obvious stand out from the game, lock him in for round 1.

Gallucci, Jones, Byrne and C Curnow only played the 2nd half.
I don't remember seeing Gorringe, Whiley and maybe a couple of others after half time.

Rowe was beaten a couple of times, but must have taken 4 intercept marks, and thought he played a good game.
Jammo spoiled well, the free against White was a complete joke.

Mitchells goal was due to terrible manning up by Daisy, who I hardly noticed. I was surprised to see he had 20+ touches. I thought Gibbs was quiet too.

Boekhurst had his dancing shoes on, and Everitt worked hard to get on the end of the kick, to mark and goal.

I did see unity, I did see a game plan although not always well executed. We did apply pressure, but thought we were still out done in this area by the Hawks. Too often we didn't take 1st option, and got caught with the ball.

No injuries is a real plus.

Over all, I was happy with what I saw. There is still plenty to work on, but I think, while I doubt we will win the flag this year, we might just be able to surprise a few teams.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #184
Re Casboult, I'm pretty sure that he has had a significantly restricted pre-season, which in that case I think he had a fair go...dropped marks and all.

Reply #185
I guess we still get to see a squad with Weitering, Mackay, Cunningham to whet our appetites. Add to that Crippa, Murph, Walks, Bucks, Army and even Jaksch.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #186
I know it's hard to fit him in with weitering in his first game but I wouldn't mind seeing Glass-Mckasker getting a run during the pre season.

Reply #187
I didn't see the game, so thanks to Raydan and others for the report and updates.

Just having a quick look at the stats - we won the clearances, contested possessions and hit outs. Lost the Inside 50's by 2. Lost the disposals, free kicks and tackles by larger margins.

It's open to discussion whether Hawthorn were cruising or putting in real effort, and when you consider that Bolton deliberately limited our rotations to test the players endurance, I guess the result isn't too bad. Kinda...........

Reply #188
We lost the game because we had no forwards.
Simple as that.

(and the rotation thingy ;))

Reply #189
Ground is actually the same size as the MCG, it's bigger but they bring the boundary in further.

1st quarter the boys looked sharp, the defensive set up behind the ball looked like a basketball zone, triangles every where and we were sending 2 players to the contest and tackling hard, Kerridge and Lamb doing a lot of grunt work both on and off the ball. Rowe basically played the Jason Cloe mop up game and got some easy ball thanks to the body work of others further up the field, there was a real team defensive structure, something that I've not see with Carlton before. I looked at at the coaches box, we were just in front and saw that their monitors had ABC2 on them playing Spicks & Specks. Amen

Then the umpires basically started to ruin the game, a 50m that was barely there the free that White gave away for holding 30m out from goal he was held first and the small frees that they paid in Hawthorns favour was embarrassing. The large Carlton crowd I was in were going off their heads.  2nd & 3rd quarter the umpiring was disgraceful. Hawthorn players particularly Gibson were holding the arms of Carlton player going for the mark, if you noticed Kruezer, Jamison and Casboult all failing to get to the contest that was the reason. One sided affair umpiring wise, looked shocking on the telly

Boekhursts run bounce and evade, then deliver was simply beatuiful to watch, he looked really confident out there and did some gut running both ways with no reward. He looked grouse, he should only improve on that

Graham does nice things but he stays off the play too much, if he's going to be a Mitchell type player then he needs to get around the ball more rather than try and make space. Big fan of Nicky G, not perfect but plays with a bit of ticker

Kerrdige is a hard man, sure his disposal is not silver service but he busts his ass our there to the point of exhaustion. There was movement at the station watching him play, great recruiting move, had something to prove and he did that well.

Lamb was another who surprised with his forward pressure, I think he was kept off in the second half to give others a longer run. Has mongrel and had some crappy frees paid against him, already showed more heart than Menzel and Yarran. Tick.

Whiley did some nice things but gets caught too often but got first use a lot early. Encouraging signs, might be used as a tagger that finds his own footy. Wasnt displeased and isnt a softy, something we've had in spades previously.

Tutt still scared But hes quick, something that we need imo. Will probably still play 10+ games

Jones runs quick and straight but that's it laid a lovely tackle in the last that bought the crowd to life, but was very poor apart from that. this

Phillips meh. A plodder nothing more. Has a great leap and showed a fair bit of mongrel and wasnt afraid to push the hawks around from what i saw on the telly, something to work with hopefully.

Gorringe played CHF early and took his man away from space which allowed moves made by Casboult and Everitt to have a use, he still went to a dangerous spot on the field but it was far enough away from the others not to allow a third man up. When he went off teh spacing up forward was all wrong and we didn't look like kicking a score. Looks like a bigger version of Everitt, hope he makes it

Daisy looked slow, although did some smart things when he had the ball. I thought he looked as good as he has since he came to us, 6kgs lighter, quicker, ran harder, more penetration in his kicking. 20 touches and decent enough efficiency, tick from me but given he's our highest paid player id like to see him average 20+ touches a game and kick 20 goals unless he plays predominantly back.

C.Curnow had Gibson who put him into the ground when ever he could, he actually kneed his head into the ground straight in front of goal but of course the umps didn't see it (surprise) and Charlie came up bent over holding his head for the next couple of minutes. Gibsons a dog with funny elf ears and his face scares children

Considering who we had out and the crap umpiring, I'm not discouraged, the effort was there there was a major change to the play and a lesser team may have been beaten by the set the players were trying to perform. Hawthorn with their team boast a starting midfield were simply a class above, but the gap didn't seem as huge as last time we played them, and yes I know it's pre season. I concur, thanks for your insight Ray, much appreciated
[/color]

Reply #190
Didn't see a lot of it but I saw a batch of really, really bad umpiring decisions which certainly allowed the Dawks back into the game....

After that, they got into their d that was keeping off style of play and that was largely that.....

Still Kerridge sounds like a gem, Boekhurst looks like he's now 'ready' and Lamb showed a fair bit (from your reports). All three should be close to regular 22 starters in the full season?

I guess Lamb competes with Smith for the small forward spot (or Sumner too)?

Gibbs going through the motions - who cares as long as he turns up for Rd 1? Daisy went ok? Special K anyone?

The Irish lads?

Plenty to like me thinks but i'd be giving McKay some decent game time the next few games. Likewise, Jaksch up forward worth a go......sounds like Jones hasn't changed.....

With the names that were out, plenty to like i reckon. After all, win the midfield battle, win the game.

Add Crippa and Smurf in the guts the outcome likely a lot different even if the Hawks are the 'benchmark'.

The umpiring remains a concern - is it anti CFC or pro HFC - or both?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #191
Really liked Bolts post-match presser, no spin, no bullsh1t, no excuses, told it like it is!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193
...and we used half the rotations the Hawks did which wouldn't help.

I thought our guys looked stuffed in the 2nd half, makes sense now.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #194
I thought our guys looked stuffed in the 2nd half, makes sense now.

Yep - this fact was probably the most significant stat of the match. Bolts could've easily seen the game slipping away & increased the rotations, but nope - he had a pre-game plan & he stuck with it.....I like his resolve, it's only pre-season & he clearly has a tactical agenda which he is going to stick with no matter what. We had one bad quarter, one less scoring shot & I would've liked to see Mitchell shut down (he's not un-taggble surely???), the major negative would be that we allowed Hawthorn too much uncontested footy - which is their bread 'n butter, but in good news we're already ahead on the Menzel-Kerridge trade :D
Football is life, there is nothing else....