Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium (Read 82584 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium

Reply #285
and some inexplicable decisions

inexplicable = BS.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #286
Yep, I think it's almost a given that he will take that step. Big men always take time and Cas was as raw as they come.

That's what we said about Hampson for five years or more, and anyone who called him for the spud he is was shouted down.
Levi is what, 26 or so?
What you see is what you get.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #287
Biggest positive for me was a trait of the better teams that has been missing from the Blues for many years - namely, creating fierce pressure by aggressively closing on the player who is about to receive the ball instead of waiting until he gets it and then simply trying to corral him.

The players were excellent in this regard until they started to run out of legs and the difference from previous years was stark.

The fact that we no longer had soft-cocks Menzel and Yarran probably helped - they were two who rarely tried to close down an opponent until he had already gained possession and then they used to have a think about it before doing anything.

Despite some negative comments about Gibbs, I though he also showed willingness to improve in this area.

I agree.
Despite our continuing skills deficiencies there were some pleasing signs, we might win a few on guts alone.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #288
That's what we said about Hampson for five years or more, and anyone who called him for the spud he is was shouted down.
Levi is what, 26 or so?
What you see is what you get.

Hampson took one contested mark in 5 years.

Compare him to Hawkins who is 2 years his senior, has played in a quality side and took a similar time to come of age as a presence.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #289
Throwing a theory out there - what if we didn't use Murphy and Gibbs in the middle any more?

Against decent opposition both go to water and suck the rest of the team down the vortex they leave behind.

Can we shuffle them out to the flanks / wings where they might be All Australian quality? Gibbs off half-back. Murphy as a small forward / wingman.

Hand the midfield to Cripps to lead with rotations between more accountable players like Whiley, Kerridge, Curnow, Plowman, Tutt, etc.?

Murphy and Gibbs are 3 quarters of our problem in my opinion. Too easy to beat. They do not make it hard enough for their opponents, they let the team down with little or no accountability and unless it's all flowing their way are a liability.

The 2 of them are p1ssweak but they have that "best of a bad lot" position on our list so nobody cares.

Leave them out of the midfield plans and we might be able to build something worthwhile.

Reply #290
I thought that Kreuzer was particularly harshly treated by the umpires.  He was shepherded out of ruck contests and penalised when he tried to get to the ball.  It seemed to be planned tactic as Hawthorn usually had a third man up to go for the hitout.  He should been paid 3-4 frees rather than having one paid against him.

We should be seeking clarification of the interpretation of ruck contests so that Kreuzer isn't disadvantaged in the real season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #291
Throwing a theory out there - what if we didn't use Murphy and Gibbs in the middle any more?

Against decent opposition both go to water and suck the rest of the team down the vortex they leave behind.

Can we shuffle them out to the flanks / wings where they might be All Australian quality? Gibbs off half-back. Murphy as a small forward / wingman.

Hand the midfield to Cripps to lead with rotations between more accountable players like Whiley, Kerridge, Curnow, Plowman, Tutt, etc.?

Murphy and Gibbs are 3 quarters of our problem in my opinion. Too easy to beat. They do not make it hard enough for their opponents, they let the team down with little or no accountability and unless it's all flowing their way are a liability.

The 2 of them are p1ssweak but they have that "best of a bad lot" position on our list so nobody cares.

Leave them out of the midfield plans and we might be able to build something worthwhile.

Throw it out there all you like but I doubt whether Bolton will share your view.  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #292
When the umpires are bending us over - it always seems worse somehow when the commentators are ignoring it.

Dermott (solid gold imbecile that he is) was actively barracking and pointing out yet more free kicks that should have been paid to Hawthorn.

I often mute the tv. Dwayno, BT, Derm... rather listen to Steve Urkel get a colonic irrigation.

Reply #293
Throw it out there all you like but I doubt whether Bolton will share your view.  :)

I think the Murphy / Judd combo was most effective in 2011, when Murph played more outside runner / link man and Judd did more inside work. If we substitute Cripps for Judd.................

Reply #294
still think we'll beat Richmond round 1

Reply #295

I agree.... something will have to change eventually though.

These guys have all the talent but just don't have the mentality required.

Reply #296
still think we'll beat Richmond round 1
They just got a 10 goal flogging from Freo, just sayin'
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #297
Hampson took one contested mark in 5 years.

Compare him to Hawkins who is 2 years his senior, has played in a quality side and took a similar time to come of age as a presence.

You're kidding right?
Podsiadly went down early in the 2011 Grand Final and Hawkins played the game of his life, at age 23.
For the record, 19 touches, 15 of them contested, 9 marks and 3 goals 3, 3rd in the Norm Smith behind Bartel and Sellwood.
The biggest problem with Levi is that if he takes a mark outside scoring range Carlton is 50/50 at best to get the next possession, and watching him again last night nothing has changed on that score.
He's a better footballer than Hampson but that wouldn't be hard, Hampson is the worst footballer to ever play 50 games in Navy Blue.

Reply #298
You're kidding right?
Podsiadly went down early in the 2011 Grand Final and Hawkins played the game of his life, at age 23.
For the record, 19 touches, 15 of them contested, 9 marks and 3 goals 3, 3rd in the Norm Smith behind Bartel and Sellwood.
The biggest problem with Levi is that if he takes a mark outside scoring range Carlton is 50/50 at best to get the next possession, and watching him again last night nothing has changed on that score.
He's a better footballer than Hampson but that wouldn't be hard, Hampson is the worst footballer to ever play 50 games in Navy Blue.

Errrr......Mark Athorn?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #299
On a more positive note:

Whiley 12 possessions and 3 tackles from 50% game time was the best I've seen from him.

Wright looked like a good get. Nothing spectacular but reminded me a bit of Heath Scotland somehow.

Lamb 10 pos from half a game on a flank was very promising also. 3 marks, a clearance, 2 tackles. Got involved - really good to see.