Skip to main content
Topic: RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets) (Read 36049 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets)

Reply #45
Kudos to Tom Bell, not a lot of stats but he hit the contest hard and bruised a few Tigers in the process, blokes like him can change the attitude of the whole team.

That's the key, sure his disposal needs sharpening up and he gets caught with it a bit but (when you're on the other team facing Tom) you know you're going to cop a few very hard whacks and dishing some back won't change that one iota....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46

What happened in the second was simply terrific, where it started and by whom is irrelevant - It was Robbo's kamikaze attack.  >:D

Robert Warnock, here's a tip on how to play the ruck role by someone who never played ruck - try looking at the ball instead of the opposition ruckman at a centre bounce, you may get your hand a little closer to it if you do. Does anyone else do it (other than Kreuzer)? If not, who taught our ruckmen to do it? Apart from the blankets Tuohy and Curnow, I though Warnock was our only winner in the 1/4 and he kept on giving.

Reply #47
8 goals to 3 in the first quarter was a telling sign, they placed us under pressure and forced skills errors, we tried to rough them up a little (eg. Robinson V Martin) but it had little effect on them.

What happened in the second was simply terrific, where it started and by whom is irrelevant, the fact that it happened shows that they are capable of matching it with the other teams in the eight if they want to be switched on and committed to each other.

Fighting gritty third quarter saw us hit the front quickly with a goal by McLean and then a goal after the siren from Casboult put us back in front at 3/4 time.  

The things we did so very well in the 2nd & 3rd quarters which got us into the game and kept us in it started to dissipate halfway through the last, was it fatigue or a lack of faith in themselves ??

The Tigers were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us in the last so we needed to brace ourselves and confront their sustained attack. I felt that even though we knew they were coming at us, we started to fumble and make it harder for ourselves than we needed to. As it turned out, the longer the quarter went, the more the Tigers panicked as a result of the scoreboard pressure.     

I'm still trying to understand how Maric was able to sneak forward on a number of occasions, take marks inside the 50m arc, kick goals from close range too. His mark & goal late in the last kept them in touch and a chance. 

Menzel could of probably sealed it with 4mins to play when he had a relatively easy shot on the run from 35m out and missed everything. As an oddball parallel universe happening, Casboult kicked one off the ground to us 15 points up with 3.5mins to play.

Yarran, the player all Blues supporters get a woodie over, from 20m out on the run missed what would of been a certain sealer 30secs later. #badkarma

Ended up with a solid win and one that puts a smile on everyone's face especially after the crap they served up the past few weeks.

The young guys are the future now, that was the most obvious thing to come out of the match for me today, leave them in the seniors to learn the caper.

Did anyone see a Carlton team-mate go and give Menzel a pat on the back for getting back on his own and diving to touch the ball right on the line when to prevent a Tigers goal in the first ?? Didn't see to many say 'well done' when he kicked that terrific goal in traffic moments later too. #gonnabegood

Robert Warnock, here's a tip on how to play the ruck role by someone who never played ruck - try looking at the ball instead of the opposition ruckman at a centre bounce, you may get your hand a little closer to it if you do. #useless

Was Bootsma on Riewoldt part of a long-term development strategy or was it purely through necessity ??  #scratchinghead

Hey Bryce, feel free to actually tackle the Tiger player with the ball, standing a metre away flapping your arms like a seagull just doesn't cut it anymore.  #exposed

Mitch Robinson's second quarter was the most devastating he has ever played, in fact, if he could constantly play with that level of disciplined intensity, non-one would ever doubt him.  #trainthebrain   

Eddie Betts, the smallest player on the field tried to take Mark of the Century by climbing high on Astbury's back only to give away a free kick. #playthepercentages

Nick Graham looked like he was meant to be there, just needs to kick through the ball instead of those that went flat & low.  #thathaircutisrad

Tom Bell is dumb, pure and simple, made too many errors and bad decisions under pressure. Brute force with a lack of polish & general awareness will see him ousted from the club. #wicrapwasntso

McInnes looks like such a calm & reliable player now, resembles an old style cool Blues defender. #partofthefuture. Really like what he offers and disappointed that I ever doubted him. #nooneisperfect

Can we get Dr. Frankenstein to join Gibbs' kicking ability with Casboult's great pack marking to create the perfect player ?? #tellhimhesdreaming

Jarrod Waite playing as a permanent defender was the balancing act we need to keep Henderson up forward.  #goodcoaching #rightthingtodo

Josh Bootsma, please sprint at the ball when it is well in front of you, don't lope along so your opponent can catch up to you.  #worrying
Think you were a little harsh there, Sheik. I was very pleased with Warnock's game on Maric. Maric has been in good form and he didn't take a mark against Warnock. He did take some marks against our defenders, but that is another story.
On the other hand, I think you were pretty merciful on Bootsma: he had a day he would like to forget. I wouldn't be playing him until he:
[1] Spent a long time in the gym getting 10 kg of muscle on him.
[2] Let him play on the wing for a while, to get his confidence up. He can defeat many guys in aerial contests: he has more spoils than anyone else at the club. But when he first got a game, he marked the ball, he attacked the ball and he kicked it to advantage. He does none of these at senior level at the moment. We risk setting him back a LONG way by sacrificing him like we did today. Play Laidler or Duigan or anyone who is physically ready.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48

What happened in the second was simply terrific, where it started and by whom is irrelevant - It was Robbo's kamikaze attack.  >:D

Robert Warnock, here's a tip on how to play the ruck role by someone who never played ruck - try looking at the ball instead of the opposition ruckman at a centre bounce, you may get your hand a little closer to it if you do. Does anyone else do it (other than Kreuzer)? If not, who taught our ruckmen to do it? Apart from the blankets Tuohy and Curnow, I though Warnock was our only winner in the 1/4 and he kept on giving.

I agree totally.   I was very happy with Warnock.
I have no idea why Kreuzer or Warnock look at the man before looking at the ball, but I think it isn't good. However, until we have a ruck coach who changes the way they look at things, they will still do it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49
No issue about Bootsma, he needs to spend a whole season in the Reserves & the gym, he is going to be a shattered player if they keep playing him on bigger & more experienced opponents like Riewoldt.

Warnock annoyed me, 85% of his taps went to the Tigers players or at his feet.  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #50
Must admit I thought Warnock went OK today. I didn't exactly study his game but when I did notice him he looked like he was going well, even with some of his work on the ground, around the ground, second efforts etc.

Dare I say it, Kreuz will have to work to win his spot back!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
Gee I love the big CAS!. Really not sure why people have had Rowe ahead of him. He actually works really hard up and down the ground, isnt as slow as you might think, very powerful, and off course a great pair of hands. Yes the kicking is poor. That can be fixed with hard work.
Eat more chooks

Reply #52
Thought we had no hope pre-game, so you can imagine what I was thinking sitting there @ quarter time....I seriously thought I'd be heading home at half-time. Where that 2nd quarter came from I don't know, but it was glorious. For mine, Mick performed one of the better in-game coaching performances I've seen in all my years as a Carlton supporter. The cause looked totally & utterly lost at quarter time, as we butchered the ball, were horribly unaccountable, couldn't win a clearance to save ourselves, Bootsma....it was a nightmare, but credit where credit's due; Mick's coaching from quarter time onwards was the stuff of legend. Every single move he made paid off & whatever was said to the playing group, they attacked the contest with a totally different mindset thereafter.

I think it showed that we simply had too many negative blokes in the team....every team needs at least a couple, but our lopsided count of 5-6 at times in the recent past was totally counter-productive to our cause. Today (after quarter time of course) there was an attacking flare we haven't seen for a while, as the likes of Curnow, Armfield & Tuohy quietly went about destroying their major ball winners, but doing damage the other way themselves. I thought it was Curnow's best game for the Club, his past month has been very, very, good to be honest. Just 6 possessions for clearly 1st quarter B.O.G. Ellis after quarter time; take a bow Dennis & just a putrid 10 possessions for Martin & a goal against; take a bow Zach on his 50th game.

It was the ultimate team performance, with no clear standout, but a lot of blokes who did a lot of good things often.

So, can we all agree that Casboult is the man, relegating Rowe to forever being just a depth player? Can you imagine Rowe taking 2 colossal, match-winning pack marks in the goalsquare that Levi took late in the 3rd? Not a chance in hell. Levi is a monster - he's almost the immovable object in a pack situation & there were a couple of other pack grabs he just couldn't hang on to for long enough, his back-up ruckwork was also sound. Loved his game.

Murphy wasn't dominant by any stretch, but he had a fair dinkum crack today & was there when needed. Loved Bryce's game in attack-mode, with 2 classy goals. He's so much more valuable to us forward of centre imo & was his best game since the Hawthorn game. Bell's an interesting one; his first half was messy, but his second half was actually a lot more effective, ditto Walker - who's first half was horrible, but his second half was a vast improvement.

Big Robbie; still not a lot around the ground, but ruckwork much better after quarter time & Maric wasn't the dominant force as he has been recently. Hendo kicked 3 goals & his general forward play was good, he's so good in the air or on the ground, you always feels as though something positive is gonna happen when he's dictating the play. Waite was so-so, loved the move of him into defence, but thought he misread the ball poorly a couple of times, wasn't too bad though in a position he hasn't played for about 3 years.

Best game from Jamo for quite some time, which was pleasing, as he generally looked to be brimming with confidence today. Bootsma....yikes - forgettable in every sense of the word & what Mick was thinking starting him on Riewoldt - cost us 3 goals & that's not exaggerating. Another typical Simmo game - which is of quality & a goal, nice work & McInnes once again shows that he's clearly part of our best 22.

Eddie.....nup, not for me, whilst Yarran wasn't too bad, although his kicking is still a major concern......somehow we were all fooled into thinking he was an elite kick, when this is so far from the truth, that it's not the least bit amusing. Geez, Menzel has just got that something special about him hasn't he? His last quarter was the most influential quarter he's played, he just looks super-dangerous when he's got the ball in his hands & has booked himself another appearance next week. Nick Graham totally looked the part out there (despite the ridiculous haircut) & will richly benefit from senior footy over the next 2 weeks.

As a couple of others have mentioned - at game's end, the win clearly meant a lot to Scotland (who played a very solid game)....and I reckon it's the clearest sign yet that he'll be pulling the pin come year's end - as this time last week, a lot of us didn't think we'd win another game this year.....we did & Scotland was really celebrating it.

Just an awesome win I did not see coming in my wildest dreams before the game & especially at quarter time. Brilliant team effort, brilliant coaching....the door is still ajar for season 2013.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #53
I haven't watched the game.   Trent Cotchin a season low 14 touches?  Ed Curnow?

Reply #54
An interesting post match interview by Timmy of Brock. Brock was saying that we allowed the Tigers to spread to freely outside of the stoppages and that gave them the space to be very damaging. After Qtr time that was seriously tightened up which effectively shut down their run and creativity. Good coaching indeed!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
Gee I love the big CAS!. Really not sure why people have had Rowe ahead of him. He actually works really hard up and down the ground, isnt as slow as you might think, very powerful, and off course a great pair of hands. Yes the kicking is poor. That can be fixed with hard work.

Always a nice surprise to see someone taking a pack mark anywhere but close to goal from a long bomb has been a rarity for a long time.

Reply #56
Waite needs to be play in defence, I prefer him there, always have.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
Well, I wasn't expecting that and I actually tipped the Tigers in my footy tipping competition  :-[

It was great to see Robbo back to his best and the defence looked more capable with Waite in the mix.

My glass is half full again  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #59
Waite needs to be play in defence, I prefer him there, always have.

Likewise... we need his brilliant reading of the play down back and extroverted confidence to effect the others...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17