Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74333 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #270
Mick is gone.
Yeah we brought Jones in on a 3 year deal, we also brought in Docherty and Everitt who have done well.

We effectively swapped Hampson for Docherty, it was the best trade in the history of the CFC.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #271
+1 on the 3 year deal.

We might have known a fair way out that Hendo was going too as these things are fairly transparent these days so they might have future proofed for the first time in our history.

At least he tries.  Thats better than many of the players we have had over the journey.

Yes, he's trying, very trying for supporters and the forwards coach too I'd imagine  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #272
Early days I know but I wonder if SOS might be getting a little concerned that none of the boys he got to the club from GWS have really shown anything of note. So far the drafted boys and those we got from Adelaide seem to be the ones showing promise, along with the crowd fave Galucci... but as I said, early days.

Sumner , Plowman injured.

I haven't given up on Phillips yet.

Gorringe looks a bit out of place.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #274
Sumner , Plowman injured.

I haven't given up on Phillips yet.

Gorringe looks a bit out of place.

Gorringe has taken twice as many marks as Phillips!

Neither has done much although Phillips gave his opponent a decent whack in the chops during a boundary contest.  I think it was accidental; he's not that co-ordinated.

I haven't given up on either but time is running out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #275

Neither has done much although Phillips gave his opponent a decent whack in the chops during a boundary contest.  I think it was accidental; he's not that co-ordinated.

Gorringe best is probably better than Philips and I did see him take a nice mark or two but he lacks intensity....Philips ruckwork isnt bad for a novice but he seemed butterfingered vs the Bombers
and couldnt hang onto the ball....both perform better when played as the 1st ruck..

Reply #276

Yeah but Phillips has taken 50 "almost" marks .
 ;D
That's almost twice as many as Hampson!!

Almost!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #277
Philips can mark, don't worry about that aspect of his game....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #278
Philips can mark, don't worry about that aspect of his game....

I agree flyboy .

I'm very bullish about his future. I don't think he's a Hampson .

Did anyone else notice how many simple marks where dropped by all players in that game?

It was bizzarre.

Reply #279
Watching the game from the stands, one player who really looked completely at sea was Jeb Lamb.

Hopefully a few of the GWS boys come through, but Jed was tentative, easily beaten by his opponent, and did nothing positive when he came near the ball - at least on the Gardiner Stand side. Would be very disappointed if he gets a game until he stops looking like he accidentally put on a jumper and wandered onto the ground.

It will be a long season, but looking forward to watching our few class acts help the new recruits.

Reply #280
Watching the game from the stands, one player who really looked completely at sea was Jeb Lamb.

Hopefully a few of the GWS boys come through, but Jed was tentative, easily beaten by his opponent, and did nothing positive when he came near the ball - at least on the Gardiner Stand side. Would be very disappointed if he gets a game until he stops looking like he accidentally put on a jumper and wandered onto the ground.

I still think that trading pick 7 in 2013 was a big mistake.
Whiley really doesn't look to be anything out of the ordinary and Jaksch played at least 10 VFL games last season in what was his third year, Boekhurst looks OK in flashes but pick 7 can get you a top liner and none of them remotely approach it in my opinion.
As for this year's crop of GWS leftovers, Kerridge looks to be way better than any of them and cost us Menzel but we got pick 28 and him in return, Menzel was another one of our first round busts so Kerridge was a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
We're sort of getting it half right these days but we're still trying to fluke good players from the bargain bin, which is a risky strategy that rarely pays dividends.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #281
I still think that trading pick 7 in 2013 was a big mistake.
Whiley really doesn't look to be anything out of the ordinary and Jaksch played at least 10 VFL games last season in what was his third year, Boekhurst looks OK in flashes but pick 7 can get you a top liner and none of them remotely approach it in my opinion.
As for this year's crop of GWS leftovers, Kerridge looks to be way better than any of them and cost us Menzel but we got pick 28 and him in return, Menzel was another one of our first round busts so Kerridge was a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
We're sort of getting it half right these days but we're still trying to fluke good players from the bargain bin, which is a risky strategy that rarely pays dividends.

Its all relative though.

That particular draft crop are not showing much at the moment.

We might have jagged a Nakia Cockatoo, but even he hasnt shown all that much just yet.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #282
Its all relative though.

That particular draft crop are not showing much at the moment.

We might have jagged a Nakia Cockatoo, but even he hasnt shown all that much just yet.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time we traded a pick that in the past had secured Sellwood, Rich and Ryder for what looks to be three pedestrian footballers.
We had no way of knowing whether pick 7 would bring us a Sellwood or a Mitch Thorpe, but historically pick 7 is a good player more often than a dud.
The trade may ultimately work in our favour, it's the decision making process behind it that I question.

Reply #283
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time we traded a pick that in the past had secured Sellwood, Rich and Ryder for what looks to be three pedestrian footballers.
We had no way of knowing whether pick 7 would bring us a Sellwood or a Mitch Thorpe, but historically pick 7 is a good player more often than a dud.
The trade may ultimately work in our favour, it's the decision making process behind it that I question.

Thats the thing.  I think we made that call knowing Rogers was doing our recruiting, and to see how we would go at the negotiation table in his last hurrah so to speak.

At the time we did it, we made a call saying that we are better off turning 1 reasonably high pick into jaksch, boekhorst and Whiley, and thus far, it looks as though Boekhorst might make it, Whiley is ordinary (which we need more of) and Jaksch is a question mark that has shown bits and pieces.  Either way there is nothing in that top 20 that we missed out on that says we overlooked a gun, but I do wonder why we opted for a light runner, rather than a Hugh Goddard who is a CHB in the making which might have setup our backline for the next ten years.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #284
... but I do wonder why we opted for a light runner, rather than a Hugh Goddard who is a CHB in the making which might have setup our backline for the next ten years.

Kane Lucas......Daniel Talia, but it's no use crying over spilt milk.