Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74300 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #316
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-erred-in-onfield-selections-against-essendon-20160303-gn9qw9.html

Pointless article about a pointless match. If so called "potential members" can't see the bigger picture................

Well, I won't bother to read it then ;)

Clearly our club has made on field success its highest priority and I have no argument with that.  Winning a practice match might attract a few new members but sustained on field success will bring them back in droves.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #317
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-erred-in-onfield-selections-against-essendon-20160303-gn9qw9.html

Pointless article about a pointless match. If so called "potential members" can't see the bigger picture................

There goes Caro, putting the kibosh on Nthmond again! ;)

She's like the curse that just keeps on giving, the female version of William H Macy's character The Cooler, the malady stopping their success! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #318
Well, I won't bother to read it then ;)

Clearly our club has made on field success its highest priority and I have no argument with that.  Winning a practice match might attract a few new members but sustained on field success will bring them back in droves.
You probably saved yourself 5 minutes that you can never recover by not reading it. It was typical Caro: hurt anyone you can except Richmond.
I guess we shall see just how wise we were during Round 1. If we win, then she will have to admit that she was wrong, but I expect that more from Cardinal Pell than from Caro.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #319
You probably saved yourself 5 minutes that you can never recover by not reading it. It was typical Caro: hurt anyone you can except Richmond.
I guess we shall see just how wise we were during Round 1. If we win, then she will have to admit that she was wrong, but I expect that more from Cardinal Pell than from Caro.

I we win Hardwick won't make it to Easter Sunday, he'll be given his chocolates early and told to feck off!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #320
Like many at the time I thought that with a pre-season game being played against an old foe we should have fielded our best to bury them. But, fortunately, our club had a broader vision.
In recent history we would have fielded our best to get a NAB Challenge success to generate more membership.
Wrapped that our club no longer gets sucked into this. Remember winning pre-season Premierships and inflating membership only to be embarrassed when the real stuff began, betraying the early season promises?
It is so impressive that our club now takes the broader vision. Bravo BB/Triggster. At last marketing is supporting, not dictating (and their support is very, very good). No more short term thinking. And most supporters get it.
I was there and although very disappointed when we were failing badly, you really could see (when the need to win subsided) strong glimpses of our future and in a pre-season game, in reality, that is all you really want to see.
I saw more in Harry McKay's half of footy than everything I've seen from Liam Jones for his entire time at the mighty CFC (and, yes, Jones must be trialled as a defender because he aint a forward but seems to have a good attitude). SOSOS has attitude and ability. So does the Curnow bro.
I walked away from Sunday's game frustrated, selfishly, at the result but when I got over that I reflected on the contribution and signs of the young. Yep, our future is in good hands. And the huge crowd just might help in supporting any argument to justify a gradual revitalisation and redevelopment as PP as a viable boutique ground for AFL games.

Ps the Ralph and Caro articles/comments should be ignored. They're shallow and short sighted (isn't that the nature of our footy media?). Fortunately our coaches are in charge of our club and not these glib headline grabbers.

(Ralph mentioned in a radio broadcast poor numbers of certain players in our game against the Bummers, yet most of the players he mentioned only played a half of footy… talk about a badly researched broadcaster massaging his ego instead of knowing facts...)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #321

I watched Sunday's game from three different locations as I tried to track down my mate.  I also went to the post game function.  The Carlton supporters I interacted with all seemed to accept that we had played a weak side for a reason and were quite positive about our prospects.  Interestingly, a lot of Essendon supporters (not the rabid dickheads!) were quite circumspect about the result.

It would be a novel approach for football reporters to actually rub shoulders with supporters and document their thoughts rather than just making stuff up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #322
DJC, the result of the game was no surprise really and as you say the Bummer supporters didn't seem to get too carried away. I think the most disappointing aspect for us, and others near us, was that we lapsed into our old bad habits pretty much straight away. They have been well covered on here already so I won't go over them again.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #323
Boltons rebuild plan vs selling hope and memberships.........think we have to support the coach and his long term plan which is what the club did.
The intelligent member or future member will see the big picture you hope....

Reply #324
Just refresh my memory, how many points do we get if we win a NAB Challenge game?

Much bemusement over the recent goings on - FAR more concerned about fit players, new game plan, skills practice and of course a game that actually means something. Last Sunday mattered about as much as the Ted Whitten charity game.

Reply #325
DJC, the result of the game was no surprise really and as you say the Bummer supporters didn't seem to get too carried away. I think the most disappointing aspect for us, and others near us, was that we lapsed into our old bad habits pretty much straight away. They have been well covered on here already so I won't go over them again.

Which old habits Cookie, giving Jones a run?  ;)

Reply #326
Mark Fine (who I believe is a tosser of gargantuan proportions) commended the club on its approach to the NAB challenge.

He stated that we have been the only football club to use the NAB challenge as a dress rehearsal to the real thing with us taking the approach of blooding youngsters, and then gave us a 5star rating for the novell approach.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #327
Which old habits Cookie, giving Jones a run?  ;)

That's a very bad one DJC, and one we must try to curb asap!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #328
Only half time in today's NAB challenge, but last weeks March champions (the bombers) have kicked a massive 1 point in the whole first half to Geelong's 63.
Maybe the Essendon fans and media backers will now understand what happens when a team rests all of its key players and takes on an opposition at near full strength.

Reply #329
Only half time in today's NAB challenge, but last weeks March champions (the bombers) have kicked a massive 1 point in the whole first half to Geelong's 63.
Maybe the Essendon fans and media backers will now understand what happens when a team rests all of its key players and takes on an opposition at near full strength.

Thanks Barbs. Any reports on Hendo ? Are you watching the game ? It doesn't seem like he's had much to do.