Skip to main content
Topic: Where To For Dylan Buckley ?? (Read 12297 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where To For Dylan Buckley ??

Reply #15
Any chance he could make it as a midfielder ??

I'll assume you refer to Buckley, maybe but he would need to build significant bulk and core strength, at the moment he bounces off opponents.

If you are referring to Tutt, he has one significant midfield trick. Team-mates can use him as an open space indicator because that is the direction he always heads!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Had high hopes for him, along with Nick Graham, this year.
Both have been major disappointments I think.
Players like Byrne, Wright, Sumner and Kerridge have gone past them.

Reply #17
Had high hopes for him, along with Nick Graham, this year.
Both have been major disappointments I think.
Players like Byrne, Wright, Sumner and Kerridge have gone past them.

despite this I think Buckley will survive purely based on the ages of Simmo, Wright, Walker, Jammo, etc., etc.. But he would be very nervous about who we pick up.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
I'll assume you refer to Buckley, maybe but he would need to build significant bulk and core strength, at the moment he bounces off opponents.

If you are referring to Tutt, he has one significant midfield trick. Team-mates can use him as an open space indicator because that is the direction he always heads!

I have little or no interest in Tutt so yes, I was referring to Buckley especially as he is what the thread is about.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #19
If scardey-Tutt gets a game before you at this time of the year then you would have to seriously think your position is in jeopardy at Carlton
Reward for effort.

Tutt has had at least one BOG in the few games.

Reply #20
How long has Kade Simpson got left?
I could see Buckley playing a similar role. 
He is nowhere near as good as Simpson at the moment, but Kade took a while to really get going as well.

Reply #21
He is nowhere near as good as Simpson at the moment, but Kade took a while to really get going as well.

Simmo has got as long as he wants; 2 or 3 years at least.

I don't like Buckley's chances of taking on Simmo's role. Simmo is a champion and Buckley simply doesn't get enough of the pill.  At the same age, Simmo was averaging twice as many possessions as Buckley.  Simmo has a bit of height on Buckley and is an excellent mark for his size.  I can't really see Buckley going back with the flight or going third man up to spoil.  Then there's the question of decision-making.

I'd say that Buckley would be well down on the list of potential Simmo replacements.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22

Mate, I think you are dangerously underestimating Simmo's contribution to and inspiration for the team with that idea atm. Dylan would have to do a hell of a lot more before it could even be put up as a remote possibility.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23
I'd say that Buckley would be well down on the list of potential Simmo replacements.
Simmos replacement has been born yet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
Would be most surprised if Buckley stayed on the list. His limitations in size are not made up for in skill or decision making. He struggled to get games under Malthouse. With his skills as they are, he just isn't going to get many more opportunities. He has had plenty of time, and we are often quick to dismiss others who have had 2 or 3 years of chances.

Reply #25
Simmos replacement has been born yet.

DVR could be the Simmo replacement if he can become consistent and be prepared to attack the footy the same way.....left footer who is composed when he has the ball and can kick goals, its his work off the ball and
consistent contesting that he needs to improve. Kade would make a great mentor for him..

Reply #26
DVR could be the Simmo replacement if he can become consistent and be prepared to attack the footy the same way.....left footer who is composed when he has the ball and can kick goals, its his work off the ball and
consistent contesting that he needs to improve. Kade would make a great mentor for him..

Yes EB, Skittles could be the man but he's got a lot of work ahead of him.  His first challenge is to build on the form he's shown recently and to be consistent with his effort and application.  If that gets him a contract extension, he can start working on the crazy brave stuff.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Docherty is the man to eventually replace the spirit of Simmo in the team IMO. Give him another year or two. Has the same kind of grit, passion and dedication and will be an increasingly inspirational figure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
Docherty is the man to eventually replace the spirit of Simmo in the team IMO. Give him another year or two. Has the same kind of grit, passion and dedication and will be an increasingly inspirational figure.

I'm with you here.
Docherty, like Simmo have a knack of remaining focused and driven. They both have a "do what you must to get it done" approach and make the difficult appear routine.

As for Buckley. I've seen only glimpses of class. It looks like this year's been a real struggle so far with form and discipline (i.e. suspension). I'd say if he can't find his mojo, and find it consistently for the second half of the year, his number might be up.
Not sure what his contract entails though.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #29
We need to find a replacement for Docherty then as he is already on the same level like you say.

These two are doing an incredible job this year.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson