Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV (Read 23028 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV

Reply #45
That shouldn't happen!  I know Casboult can lift heavy weights but our fitness and conditioning people should be working on improving his ability to out-muscle opponents.  And not just Casboult, our whole team is too easily pushed aside in one on one contests.

It's not about strength, it's about aggression! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
It's not about strength, it's about aggression! ;)

I agree that aggression is part of the problem LP, but there's not much point being an angry ant.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
I reckon our boys in general are undersized and are poor at "bodying" players, and have been for some time. They looked liked they put on size in the preseason but it's all gone. I know endurance athletes burn muscle but the Swans, Cats, Hawks and Freo mids maintain their size.

I know Jaksch, Buckley, Holman, Whiley and Boekhorst are young but they are far too light. Boekhorst was supposed to be ready for AFL football. ???

Reply #48
I reckon our boys in general are undersized and are poor at "bodying" players, and have been for some time. They looked liked they put on size in the preseason but it's all gone. I know endurance athletes burn muscle but the Swans, Cats, Hawks and Freo mids maintain their size.

I know Jaksch, Buckley, Holman, Whiley and Boekhorst are young but they are far too light. Boekhorst was supposed to be ready for AFL football. ???

Boekhorst is Kane Lucas incognito. He and Jones shaping up as monumental flops from last year's draft.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
Boekhorst is Kane Lucas incognito. He and Jones shaping up as monumental flops from last year's draft.

My theory is that the club recognised that early and pushed Shane Rogers to "resign".

Reply #50
I agree that aggression is part of the problem LP, but there's not much point being an angry ant.

Clarkson, Jack and Harvey might disagree!

Give me a 5'10" footballer(Mitchell) over a 6'4" spud(Jones), and I'll back the footballer every time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
I think Boek will turn out ok. Better mark, much better kick and has much better evasive skills than Lucas

Just needs the right role.

Harker from BF is quite bullish about his prospects.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #52
Clarkson, Jack and Harvey might disagree!

Give me a 5'10" footballer(Mitchell) over a 6'4" spud(Jones), and I'll back the footballer every time!

And I'll back the Jones in a one on one test of strength with Mitchell (unless Mitchell gives him a corkie first).

Our players are being outmuscled because they have been conditioned for endurance running.  Aggression doesn't come into it when one player has a size and strength disadvantage.  Aggression may tip the scales when two players are more evenly matched.  Weight training also helps to encourage aggression.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
sorry but we fail with endurance running to .How many times i have seen 1 of our player against 2or3 of the opp players .

Reply #54

Geez we turn quick on our blokes. Boeky has only done 1 real preseason. Give the bloke a chance.
Yes he is 'mature aged' to a degree, but tell me 1 team outside the AFL that trains up to AFL standard??

Lucas had 4 years on our list...Boeky has had half a year.

Reply #55
Geez we turn quick on our blokes. Boeky has only done 1 real preseason. Give the bloke a chance.
Yes he is 'mature aged' to a degree, but tell me 1 team outside the AFL that trains up to AFL standard??

Looked to be limpng a bit for what it's worth.

Reply #56
Boekhorst is only 75kg, he has the body of a young TAC cup player and while mature in age isnt mature in body and needs several seasons in the gym to
get another 7-8kg on the frame. In the AFL you have to win your own ball more and I think this season has been a shock to him how physical the game is even at VFL level and especially in the wet.
I wouldnt be giving up on him yet as his WAFL form was also slow in coming and he took a few seasons to work out how to get a kick and be consistent but then had a breakout year.
AFL is very cut throat and I hope the new coach is prepared to be a bit patient with him rather than just cull anything that doesnt look like making it short term...

I have also been disappointed in how our senior players have ignored him at times on the field and the lack of encouragement he has got.....hope he has fitted into the group and has some mates who are looking out for him a bit...

Reply #57

Sorry Kruds, I am one who would normally give players time, but the deer in the headlights impersonation with hands on the footy is the most concerning aspect of his play.

The things you want to see as a bare minimum in a recruit, is hardness or smarts (if not both).

Boeky has not really shown much of either.

Only thing that is working in his favour in terms of patience, is the fact that he has had two coaches with potentially two sets of different demands since he arrived here which can effect the ability for anyone to perform as required.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
BB has 2 qualities i like hgt and speed,now go and put 5kgs on we might have a player.

Reply #59
Sorry Kruds, I am one who would normally give players time, but the deer in the headlights impersonation with hands on the footy is the most concerning aspect of his play.

The things you want to see as a bare minimum in a recruit, is hardness or smarts (if not both).

Boeky has not really shown much of either.

Only thing that is working in his favour in terms of patience, is the fact that he has had two coaches with potentially two sets of different demands since he arrived here which can effect the ability for anyone to perform as required.

I reckon you should go watch a pre-season game or 2. He put in quite a few hard tackles and looked very comfortable at stages. So much so, that i had him as my 23rd player on the list at the start of the year based on those qualities you listed.

Sure, he hasn't shown a whole lot of them during the year, but he hasn't had much going for him. Yazz hasn't shown much of those qualities of late, and he's a 'seasoned pro'. This kid has played half a season.....under 2 senior coaches plus 1 VFL coach. Give the kid a chance!