Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 62714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #90
Nice to see some optimism Flyboy :)

I'm hoping for 8-12 but I suspect 11-14 is more realistic.

DJ..Those will probably be closer to the delist numbers ;)........reckon SOS will want another bottom four finish to get a good go in a strong draft.
Kicking goals will be a problem as will stopping them IMO and one thing that most of us forget is that other clubs have not been standing still and will also improve...Essendon being the exception.

Reply #91
DJ..Those will probably be closer to the delist numbers ;)........reckon SOS will want another bottom four finish to get a good go in a strong draft.
Kicking goals will be a problem as will stopping them IMO and one thing that most of us forget is that other clubs have not been standing still and will also improve...Essendon being the exception.

We're a club in a hurry EB and Bolton will be under some pressure to improve our on field performance so that our bottom line becomes a little healthier.

Yes, some clubs will improve, some will stagnate and others will fall away.  I haven't analysed other clubs' lists but I expect at least six of the top 8 to be there again.  The middle six is where most change is likely and we could just sneak in if things go our way.  Essendon will be rubbish, Brisbane won't progress and Melbourne and St Kilda are likely to fall away.  There has to be a big question mark over Gold Coast and Port and Footscray may suffer from the loss of key players.

As I've said before, our list isn't as bad as our diabolically poor coaching suggested.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #92
We lost by 10 goals to the team above us. We're pretty terrible.

Reply #93
To reiterate.....no talent....pffft.

4 x #1s -               Gibbs, Smurf, Special K & Weitering
2 x #2s -               Daisy, 1AW
#3 -                      Plowman
#8 -                      Curnow C.
2 x #10s -             Gorringe, Sumner
2 x #11s -             Everitt, McKay
2x #12s -              Jaksch, Docherty
#13 -                    Cripps
#19 -                    Cuningham

Add Kerridge (walk up starter) - #27 draftee in 2011.

Other proven performers - 2E, Jamo, Simmo, Levi, Wright, Lamb (#21 draftee in 2010)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #94
We lost by 10 goals to the team above us. We're pretty terrible.

When you give up mentally - you get pumped. Teams can score 5 goals in 6 minutes these days when the pressure's off....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #95
When you give up mentally - you get pumped. Teams can score 5 goals in 6 minutes these days when the pressure's off....

Yep, mental fitness and preparation is just as important as the physical side.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
To reiterate.....no talent....pffft.

4 x #1s -               Gibbs, Smurf, Special K & Weitering & Josh Fraser
2 x #2s -               Daisy, 1AW
#3 -                      Plowman
#8 -                      Curnow C.
2 x #10s -             Gorringe, Sumner
2 x #11s -             Everitt, McKay
2x #12s -              Jaksch, Docherty
#13 -                    Cripps
#18 -                Wood
#19 -                    Cuningham

Add Kerridge (walk up starter) - #27 draftee in 2011.

Other proven performers - 2E, Jamo, Simmo, Levi, Wright, Lamb (#21 draftee in 2010)

I have added Wood to your list and Josh Fraser, simply because Weitering included him in our five number 1 draft picks :)

It is a pretty strong list on paper when it comes to draft picks but we lack numbers in the critical 24 to 26 year old age bracket.  That may not be an issue if the older blokes continue to perform and the younger blokes step up.  We only have five 20 to 21 year olds and that may become an issue in future.  I expect SOS will be looking to address our age structure at the end of this season along with other deficiencies that may become evident.  I don't expect wholesale changes but that will depend on performances and buy in to Bolton's approach. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
We play them June 4 at Etihad....they wont get near us.

They probably think the same thing. We're all riding on hope ATM and I'd rather our mind's focussed on the fact that we''re a long way behind and need to work very hard to be competitive for four quarters against a team like Brisbane instead of already a monty.

Reply #99
They probably think the same thing. We're all riding on hope ATM and I'd rather our mind's focussed on the fact that we''re a long way behind and need to work very hard to be competitive for four quarters against a team like Brisbane instead of already a monty.

Agree - there's a lot of good vibes around at the moment. There is too close a link between optimism and complacency. We are in no position to be cocky.

Reply #100
We're particularly notorious

Reply #101
Agree - there's a lot of good vibes around at the moment. There is too close a link between optimism and complacency. We are in no position to be cocky.

There's a close link between pessimism and despondency too, as we witnessed last season.

Bolton's challenge is to strike a balance between condifidence and, hence, optimal arousal levels, and realistic expectations.

Reply #102

As the Dogs showed in 2015 - no team is that far behind. Get the head in the right space/place - the rest takes care of itself...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
Reckon we will be doing quite well to hold on to our ladder position from last year. Can't see us getting past that given the number of new faces we have on the list.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #104
Reckon we will be doing quite well to hold on to our ladder position from last year. Can't see us getting past that given the number of new faces we have on the list.

I can't understand that logic Sheik  :-\

Yes, we have an inexperienced list but the blokes we brought in are streets ahead of those who departed (on their 2016 form).