Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48856 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #165
Yeah ... I'm gonna be something of a wet blanket and say I don't share the fervour everyone else seems to have for SOSOS, or TWOTT as I call him (The Worst Of The Three). Hopefully he proves me wrong in the coming years but, what's he got that's special/different?  I mean, is he super fast? ...brilliant overhead? ... electrifying goal sneak a la EB? Granted, his mum's still hot but I'm really hoping he doesn't become yet another Coodabeen Carlton Champion.
Takes balls to shoot Bambi in front of the kids, I'll give you that much.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #166
Takes no balls at all to shoot a kid in his 9th game, I don't care what his surname is.
Doesn't impress me.

Reply #167
Silvagni finds space and is a natural footballer. Who cares if he isn't fast or tall. Last night he took 5 marks inside 50. I don't know the last time that would have been achieved by one of our players, let alone team. If he continues to contribute he holds his spot, one of our more promising young players.

It's his second season, probably less than 20 games ffs and he has done one pre season.

Some people here would whinge if a dog crap in their lunch. Get a grip

Are you kidding? I would LOVE a dog to crap in my lunch! It would inject some interest into my otherwise dreary life and momentarily take my mind off the fact that we haven't won a flag in 21 years after winning 8 in the previous 27.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #168
Are you kidding? I would LOVE a dog to crap in my lunch! It would inject some interest into my otherwise dreary life and momentarily take my mind off the fact that we haven't won a flag in 21 years after winning 8 in the previous 27.

It's just a saying Ivan ????

Stay patient mate, if you are gonna pot blokes look at the over 29s on our list

Reply #169
Looks like SmartReplay has got the kibosh from the AFL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #170
OK here's my two cents on last night, apologies if I'm repeating what's been said, but I figure the 4 hour round trip earns me the right.
Positives: Murphy and Kreuzer were both fantastic, gave it everything they had. I've been critical of Murphy in the past for his defensive work, but 7 tackles last night, lots of chasing and pressure acts, very good.
Gibbs was very good too. I know he gets no love on this forum, but 26 possessions, 6 tackles and a goal is good output.
Marchbank the biggest positive out of the night for me. Great mobility and endurance, reads the play very well. I know he shanked a couple of kicks, but if he gets some continuity without injury will be a star, we may have found ourselves a 10 year CHB.
Plowman very solid, will be a super reliable defender for 10 years. Was taken deep a lot last night, but as we improve will have more opportunity to show more of the attacking side of his game.
Simpson did what he does. Every week. Always one of our best and under-appreciated players.
Wright just keeps impressing with his tackling and harassment, and is probably our best finisher. Would be one of the first picked every week. Could be our leading goal scorer again this year.
Weitering as a forward showed that he knows how to play there, and hates being beaten in any contest. I've changed my mind, I'd play him forward at least half of the time this year, maybe closer to 80% Just have to monitor his body and make sure he doesn't get beaten up.
SPS was very impressive imo. We may have finally found ourselves a two-way midfielder, and we have had one of them since, well ever. Loves to harass and tackle, but also loves to find space a accelerate away from the contest. This guy will be a genuine star.
Smedts, don't understand the criticism of this kid. To me he looks like a smart footballer, does a lot of running without the ball both defensively and offensively, makes good decisions and has good skills. I can't wait to see what he can do with a continuous season of footy under his belt.
Rowe and White. yes they are both limited, but they give everything 100% of the time, which was the cause for much furore in the practice games. If we want to play Weitering forward we have to play Rowe back. White will get a game until someone deserves one more, he gives his all, and yes he chops the ball up a bit, but if our running defenders were going better he wouldn't have to kick!
Macreadie showed some agression and toughness, I liked what I saw and would love to see him get some more games. Think he will end up being a fan favourite based on the way he goes about it.
Pickett, need a few more games to make an informed comment but appears to have serious tricks, pace to burn and loves to chase and tackle, which we really need. I have high hopes for this guy.
Not so positives:
Docherty seems to be underdone to me, was fumbly and disposal was ordinary. Is a very good player so I'm hoping he just needs a game or two under his belt to get back to last years form.
Cripps clearly underdone. Ignore his performance this game, check how he's going in 3-4 weeks. So hard to miss a month of preseason and hit the ground running.
E Curnow needs to work on his disposal, but can't question his effort.
C Curnow needs clear definition on what his role is. Looked lost. I would like to see him given a position for a month and told to make it his. Same thing happened to him at Geelong College, he was a mid one week, key forward the next, defender the next, wing the next etc. My choice would be wing.

Reply #171
Rowe must go, Thomas pay him out now,Armfield buy him to a ticket and let him watch from the stands why should he get to watch the game from out on the ground,White don't let the door slam him in the ass on hes way out. I don't care if we win or loose but play the kids now  they are the future why keep going back to a proven past that was a failure with these blokes.they all play for carlton I respect them and admire whaty they have dne but they just are not good enough and are not the future

Reply #172
Yeah ... I'm gonna be something of a wet blanket and say I don't share the fervour everyone else seems to have for SOSOS, or TWOTT as I call him (The Worst Of The Three). Hopefully he proves me wrong in the coming years but, what's he got that's special/different?  I mean, is he super fast? ...brilliant overhead? ... electrifying goal sneak a la EB? Granted, his mum's still hot but I'm really hoping he doesn't become yet another Coodabeen Carlton Champion.

How many other players drafted within cooee of him are looking like a player? How many have even played.

He is younger than those same players too.

Jack is the biggest steal from that draft at the pick we got him.

What does he do that special/different?
He doesn't make stupid mistakes.

What does he do wrong??

Reply #173
OK here's my two cents on last night, apologies if I'm repeating what's been said, but I figure the 4 hour round trip earns me the right.
Positives: Murphy and Kreuzer were both fantastic, gave it everything they had. I've been critical of Murphy in the past for his defensive work, but 7 tackles last night, lots of chasing and pressure acts, very good.
Gibbs was very good too. I know he gets no love on this forum, but 26 possessions, 6 tackles and a goal is good output.
Marchbank the biggest positive out of the night for me. Great mobility and endurance, reads the play very well. I know he shanked a couple of kicks, but if he gets some continuity without injury will be a star, we may have found ourselves a 10 year CHB.
Plowman very solid, will be a super reliable defender for 10 years. Was taken deep a lot last night, but as we improve will have more opportunity to show more of the attacking side of his game.
Simpson did what he does. Every week. Always one of our best and under-appreciated players.
Wright just keeps impressing with his tackling and harassment, and is probably our best finisher. Would be one of the first picked every week. Could be our leading goal scorer again this year.
Weitering as a forward showed that he knows how to play there, and hates being beaten in any contest. I've changed my mind, I'd play him forward at least half of the time this year, maybe closer to 80% Just have to monitor his body and make sure he doesn't get beaten up.
SPS was very impressive imo. We may have finally found ourselves a two-way midfielder, and we have had one of them since, well ever. Loves to harass and tackle, but also loves to find space a accelerate away from the contest. This guy will be a genuine star.
Smedts, don't understand the criticism of this kid. To me he looks like a smart footballer, does a lot of running without the ball both defensively and offensively, makes good decisions and has good skills. I can't wait to see what he can do with a continuous season of footy under his belt.
Rowe and White. yes they are both limited, but they give everything 100% of the time, which was the cause for much furore in the practice games. If we want to play Weitering forward we have to play Rowe back. White will get a game until someone deserves one more, he gives his all, and yes he chops the ball up a bit, but if our running defenders were going better he wouldn't have to kick!
Macreadie showed some agression and toughness, I liked what I saw and would love to see him get some more games. Think he will end up being a fan favourite based on the way he goes about it.
Pickett, need a few more games to make an informed comment but appears to have serious tricks, pace to burn and loves to chase and tackle, which we really need. I have high hopes for this guy.
Not so positives:
Docherty seems to be underdone to me, was fumbly and disposal was ordinary. Is a very good player so I'm hoping he just needs a game or two under his belt to get back to last years form.
Cripps clearly underdone. Ignore his performance this game, check how he's going in 3-4 weeks. So hard to miss a month of preseason and hit the ground running.
E Curnow needs to work on his disposal, but can't question his effort.
C Curnow needs clear definition on what his role is. Looked lost. I would like to see him given a position for a month and told to make it his. Same thing happened to him at Geelong College, he was a mid one week, key forward the next, defender the next, wing the next etc. My choice would be wing.
Great post JB
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #174
His first half was ordinary but by the end of the game I was happier with what I saw from SOS Jr... he is going to the perfect size for a hit up forward - something we haven't had since, well, Matt Clape?  In time, fed by a decent midfield, he could be at least the equal of a Gunston.  He has something that few in the current side has - both a defined role and the nous and smarts to actually contribute in that role.  Considering that he is barely 19 and missed most of the past two years I would have though that he was tracking nicely. 

Two goals a game is 40 odd a year.  I'd take that from a flanker.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #175
Worst of the three in that family might not necessarily be indicative of anything given how brilliant the other two were. If he's even close he'll be a star.

IMO, I think he will turn out really good. He just looks a player.

x2...has footy smarts and is composed most times which has him ahead of half our team who look far from composed...hello Sam Rowe....try marking the ball big fella...

Reply #176

x2...has footy smarts and is composed most times which has him ahead of half our team who look far from composed...hello Sam Rowe....try marking the ball big fella...
What on Earth goes through a player's head to make him do that?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #177
It's either lack of confidence or he's been instructed to punch everything

Reply #178
I still thought Rowe was a solid contributor despite that brain fade.  Another bloke with whom the coaches must treat with a "keep it simple" mantra.  Squared enough contests with Reiwoldt to have him squealing like a bi-atch all night.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #179
I still thought Rowe was a solid contributor despite that brain fade.  Another bloke with whom the coaches must treat with a "keep it simple" mantra.  Squared enough contests with Reiwoldt to have him squealing like a bi-atch all night.
The goal Caddy kicked on him when Dusty bombed it was a free kick for holding the man every day of the week. Umpire was busy pulling his pood over Dusty to pay it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th