Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton (Read 24600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton

Reply #60
The 'role player' mantra appears particularly relevent this week as guys come back into consideration:
[1] Do we promote Silvagni, as a semi-automatic selection?
[2] Jones deserves a game, but is there a match up for him? It doesn't lookg like ti to me.
[3] Thomas played well enough to keep his spot, but does he have a match-up?
[4] Kerridge and Smedts are probably the 2 most at risk of losing their spots after their performances against Collingwood. But they can fill many roles. If they go out, who would come in to replace them?
[5] Weitering appears to have a lot of different niggles. He is spendng time on the bench each week not resting, but being patched up. Is it time to give him a rest? Would Silvagni or Jones be a better option to replace him?
[6] Do we have a good match-up to take out Jack Steven? Ed doesn't appear to have the pace?
[7] Has Cuningham done enough to get a game? His best has been exilerating. But he still has patches where he doesn't get the pill for 20 minutes.
[8] In recent times the St Kilda ruckmen have kicked our butts. Granted that they have not tackled a fit Kreuzer in that time (and Kreuzer has been very good this year), but do we need to conisder help for the big lad? And if we do, has Phillips done enough to get the call up? Phillips was awful against Port Adelaide, but he was very out of touch. He has been much better the last 2 weeks.
[9] Do we recall Fisher for extra pace?

That seems like a LOT of selection questions (and it is), but we DO have to consider who best matches up against the 'Aints. We don't tend to make many structural changes when we win. However, the 'Aints are playing some of their best footy.
So, do we make changes to fit the roles required, or do we reward the guys who have been winning? After all, it isn't like any of our players have been comprehensively beaten in the last fortnight.

Give Cunningham the job on Stevens...he either does well and makes the transition from VFL to senior player or at worst he gets an education....I like Smedts but he is the player I would omit...

Reply #61
At all times we must have someone defensive side of the stoppages just so they cannot break straight from the pack, they must watch the ruckman and go the side the ball goes so if the saints get the break they have to go sideways or backwards from every contest,slow them down allow players time to cover. If we let them have a clear run bye bye saints and bye bye any chance.Itcan be a flanker a wingman or in the center bounce even a Murphy someone with a bit of pace,slow down there run and they ain't so good.

Reply #62
[2] Jones deserves a game, but is there a match up for him? It doesn't lookg like ti to me.

I'd name Jones emergency, and if Nick Riewoldt plays I'd put Jones on him.

Great potential lesson for Jones, will get to do some stoppage / ruck work and play both ends of the ground!

I think Jones has the speed and endurance to go with Riewoldt, Riewoldt has lost some agility at the moment which Jones could take full advantage of!

Otherwise, send Weitering back to run with Riewoldt and let Jones play forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
At all times we must have someone defensive side of the stoppages just so they cannot break straight from the pack, they must watch the ruckman and go the side the ball goes so if the saints get the break they have to go sideways or backwards from every contest,slow them down allow players time to cover. If we let them have a clear run bye bye saints and bye bye any chance.Itcan be a flanker a wingman or in the center bounce even a Murphy someone with a bit of pace,slow down there run and they ain't so good.

Watching last week blokes like Montangna and Stevens hit up Riewoldt off the HBF and then run like lunatics to get front and square knowing Riewoldt will bring the ball to the deck.

This sort of disposal chain happened over and over again last week while the GWS guys spent the afternoon finger-pointing and blaming each other!

Some big Sam Rowe punches could easily find The Aints caught on the wrong side of a fast break turnover! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Give Cunningham the job on Stevens...he either does well and makes the transition from VFL to senior player or at worst he gets an education....I like Smedts but he is the player I would omit...

I really like Smedts as well. Didn't think i would. Didn't impact the game last Saturday, but i like what he can bring around the ball.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #65
Membrey seems to be a bloke who really loves playing us, having collected a few bags (of goals) against us. Plowman?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66

I get the impression that we are grooming Cunningham as Marc Murphy's "understudy".  They might not spend much time playing together at this stage, but I get the idea that he is a longer term slow burn and that we will be giving young draftees more than 2 years to show what they have if there is something we like about them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
Not one of my favourites but Kerridge may get a gig in a run with role - the Saints are strong wrg run and spread and have a few quicks.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
I really like Smedts as well. Didn't think i would. Didn't impact the game last Saturday, but i like what he can bring around the ball.

Agree.

Smedts has something worth persisting with, but i don't think he should be playing 1's this week. He should and will be back.

Reply #69
What was that sign in the Hawks rooms - "Know your role"?

At Carlton it's called keeping your end up!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #70
I get the impression that we are grooming Cunningham as Marc Murphy's "understudy".  They might not spend much time playing together at this stage, but I get the idea that he is a longer term slow burn and that we will be giving young draftees more than 2 years to show what they have if there is something we like about them.

Big call, 3 Leos, hope you're right but he certainly hasn't shown yet the consistency or hardness that Murph has. I think it more likely that ZF or Polson would be the Murph replacements.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #72
Big call, 3 Leos, hope you're right but he certainly hasn't shown yet the consistency or hardness that Murph has. I think it more likely that ZF or Polson would be the Murph replacements.

Has anyone else had trouble telling Murphy and Polson apart?  I reckon they have very similar physiques, facial features and running style.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
Has anyone else had trouble telling Murphy and Polson apart?  I reckon they have very similar physiques, facial features and running style.
Yep me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #74

Me too.  The shoulder strapping didn't assist much either.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson