Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24890 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #75
Was at the game yesterday and am inclined to agree, Harry's 4 goal haul was impressive in that he took his chances and kicked beautifully. What was missing and will no doubt come is him providing a dominant presence crashing packs and demanding the ball. Not there yet but has natural ability, that banana kick for goal No 3 was sublime. His development this year will be fun to watch.

He hits packs hard in the VFL. His contested marking there is very good. Good thing with Levi there is he can take alot of the contested marking and do alot of pack crashing while McKay develops

Reply #76
He hits packs hard in the VFL. His contested marking there is very good. Good thing with Levi there is he can take alot of the contested marking and do alot of pack crashing while McKay develops
I have no doubt it will come and I'm not being critical of yesterday's performance, just stating there is a lot more to come from big H.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #77
Was at the game yesterday and am inclined to agree, Harry's 4 goal haul was impressive in that he took his chances and kicked beautifully. What was missing and will no doubt come is him providing a dominant presence crashing packs and demanding the ball. Not there yet but has natural ability, that banana kick for goal No 3 was sublime. His development this year will be fun to watch.

Thanks SB. Did you notice anything that made you worried (apart from as stated above) ? e.g dropping his head, giving up a chase etc.

Reply #78
Harry isnt a Jonathon Brown crash/spread the pack type, he will only get injured, he needs to lead or be the bloke dropping back and taking the mark at the back of the pack type of player. Levi is the pack crasher ande maybe Patrick Kerr down the track....

Reply #79
Thanks SB. Did you notice anything that made you worried (apart from as stated above) ? e.g dropping his head, giving up a chase etc.

No mate, nothing like that but it is hard to keep track of these guys when following the ball. He did spend time on the bench as we rotated our bigger blokes and while kicked 4 goals it felt lie it cam from 2 x separate cameos rather than a dominant performance, I love the way he moves and he just looks like he knows how to play. He also said in his after game interview that the intensity at AFL level meas you can't have any mental lapses as you will get punished, sounded  like a reference to an area in his game he needs to work on.

Reply #80
Harry isnt a Jonathon Brown crash/spread the pack type, he will only get injured, he needs to lead or be the bloke dropping back and taking the mark at the back of the pack type of player. Levi is the pack crasher ande maybe Patrick Kerr down the track....

Probably true, but he is a big lad and in time will have an impact at the contest, just needs to be allowed to develop.

Reply #81
No mate, nothing like that but it is hard to keep track of these guys when following the ball. He did spend time on the bench as we rotated our bigger blokes and while kicked 4 goals it felt lie it cam from 2 x separate cameos rather than a dominant performance, I love the way he moves and he just looks like he knows how to play. He also said in his after game interview that the intensity at AFL level meas you can't have any mental lapses as you will get punished, sounded  like a reference to an area in his game he needs to work on.

Thanks matey. Appreciate your thoughts.

Reply #82
Harry almost disappeared for large periods is the only concern.

I think given where we are at we are carrying a few players who aren't giving us 4 quarters.

That's ok but we won't win many games doing that.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #83
Harry almost disappeared for large periods is the only concern.

I think given where we are at we are carrying a few players who aren't giving us 4 quarters.

That's ok but we won't win many games doing that.

Playing as a young key forward in a team getting hammered for large periods will do that.

Reply #84
Cam O'Shea had 10 possessions - 8 of them clangers. I don't know if a player in double figures for disposals has ever had a 80% clanger rate before or will again. That is remarkable. I can't see how we can keep him in the team based on that alone. Experienced player too.

Yeah, spot o  jeza.
O'Shea gifting WC turnovers and Plowman missing a couple of sitters was enough to lose momentum and the game. Not saying it's ever that simple but ..... could should would
I agree with others regarding Plowman's dip in form. It's clear the gap left by Doc will be difficult to manage. Particularly given injuries to Rowe (initially), Marchy, Willo, Byrne, ACOS, and Weiters .  I think this has had a flow on effect to our backline, resulting in the disorganization and high scores against we've seen.

I'll say again- little Zac is growing quarter by quarter. He already punches well above his weight. It's his ability to recover and go again while sustaining full focus on the specific contest and the game. This allows him to resurface, make good decisions, and hit a target. Speaks volumes about his aerobic capacity and footy brain. Future B & F material IMO. Hopefully his mate Samo will hit some form soon. Although small they will become pests to their opponents.

O'Brein had a good impact on the game as did Dow. We saw glimpses of why they were drafted. Clearance work and bursting from packs + outside endurance, run, and quality disposal. Looking forward to watching the youngsters develop together, despite the inevitable L tally.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #85
Yeah, spot o  jeza.
O'Shea gifting WC turnovers and Plowman missing a couple of sitters was enough to lose momentum and the game. Not saying it's ever that simple but ..... could should would
I agree with others regarding Plowman's dip in form. It's clear the gap left by Doc will be difficult to manage. Particularly given injuries to Rowe (initially), Marchy, Willo, Byrne, ACOS, and Weiters .  I think this has had a flow on effect to our backline, resulting in the disorganization and high scores against we've seen.

I'll say again- little Zac is growing quarter by quarter. He already punches well above his weight. It's his ability to recover and go again while sustaining full focus on the specific contest and the game. This allows him to resurface, make good decisions, and hit a target. Speaks volumes about his aerobic capacity and footy brain. Future B & F material IMO. Hopefully his mate Samo will hit some form soon. Although small they will become pests to their opponents.

O'Brein had a good impact on the game as did Dow. We saw glimpses of why they were drafted. Clearance work and bursting from packs + outside endurance, run, and quality disposal. Looking forward to watching the youngsters develop together, despite the inevitable L tally.

Fisher is a real footballer and makes good decisions...Samo needs to learn from Fisher about application and attacking every contest, he is just choosing when to go at the minute...
OBrien is more composed with the ball than Paddy, the latter tends to waste the footy but does contest well and is learning when to run and where the footy is going....both going ok IMO and just need more games. The problem comes when Cripps is held and the likes of Dow have to try and step up and fill the gap, not Dows fault but we need more from the likes of Kennedy when fit, Kerridge etc...

Reply #86
Fisher is a real footballer and makes good decisions...Samo needs to learn from Fisher about application and attacking every contest, he is just choosing when to go at the minute...
OBrien is more composed with the ball than Paddy, the latter tends to waste the footy but does contest well and is learning when to run and where the footy is going....both going ok IMO and just need more games. The problem comes when Cripps is held and the likes of Dow have to try and step up and fill the gap, not Dows fault but we need more from the likes of Kennedy when fit, Kerridge etc...
Absolutely! SPS can be so good, but he needs to put in all of the time. And a few more fit in that box.

Maybe, O'Brien is, but I think that Dow just needs to learn how to deal with the extra physical pressure. He is used to breaking tackles and kicking in the clear. He needs to up his reflexes and work on the decision making. For that matter Byrne could do with some of the same, as he also tends to take off before he thinks and run into brick walls.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #87
H will be the Rising Star this week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
Saw bits and pieces on TV.  A couple of bits that I liked - Dow had the footy and Rioli lined him. Dow rode the tackle and Rioli went down.

In the first(?) qtr, McKay tired to kick a bit round the corner to Casboult and ended up out of bounds - Derm, mentioned that with a bit more experience, there was a sidestep and easy pass.  Late in the game SOSOS did that - sidestepped the opponent and put it on McKay's head - mark and goal.

The kids did some good stuff and we didn't seem to try to be so cute, which helped.

One annoying thing was Phillips (twice) and Charlie were having set shots from 55 out. Never going to work...

Reply #89
Dow had the footy and Rioli lined him. Dow rode the tackle and Rioli went down.

I particularly relished that moment - Rioli would have regretted deciding on that move, and Dow looked rock solid.  :))
Reality always wins in the end.